General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding grips too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by rkc2006
I rode to work this morning, and I made an effort to rest my thumbs on top of the grips while cruising on the highway (about 25 miles) as some suggested. When it came time to throttle down, down shift, then brake I noticed my hands were much more at ease and did not cramp up at all.

Along with it being mental, I think this where my problem was. I was just constantly squeezing the grips to hard when I didn't have to. So I'll keep resting the thumb on top on the highway, and of course around town and in traffic I will use my whole hand around the grip in case I need to react suddenly.

TwiZted Biker, you're right in that some work days are more stressful than others, and my subconscious was probably reacting to it, and without me realizing it, was causing me to grip too tightly. Thanks for the tip.

Dickey, the ISO grips are very comfortable as you said, but I may try a smaller diameter grip. Maybe PM Renthals? Do you or anybody have any else have any experience with these grips?

I am probably making too much out of this, but it was bugging me so I threw it out here on the forum. And you all sure came through! Thanks again.
Nice to hear that you figured it out. Granted some of the issues that people have might be related to how the bike is set up but I've also found, over the years, that a lot of the problems that people have are mental and can be solved with a little bit of effort.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:11 PM
1stFatboy17
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice my hands start to fall asleep when I grip too tight. I end up putting pressure just below my palm and basically on the pads at the bottom of my hand and this puts my hand asleep. I just lift that part of my hand off the grip and loosen up.