General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding grips too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Holding grips too tight?

Maybe a strange question, but I was wondering if any one else has a problem holding onto their grips too tightly while riding. I ride an 06 Road King Classic, and have been using ISO grips (I don't like the throttle boss option) for for the 5 years, the grips are awesome and it's just this year that I've been noticing the problem. My bars are at shoulder level, both arms slightly bent, so I really don't want to roll the bars toward me any further. So now I find I have to consciously tell myself to relax the hold on the grips.

Could it be that the ISO grips are just too big for my hands? Would a smaller diameter grip allow my hands not to "cramp" up? Or is just me?

I'm fine when highway cruising but it's the around town riding with a lot of stop and go's, where I really notice it.

Any input/tips/tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,205 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Shoulder level grips sounds like the problem. You are holding on instead of letting your body lean forward. Lower your bars a bit.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I had the HD get a grips on my last bike. They are offered in 2 different diameters. The first pair I bought I got the larger diameter thinking they would be better. After a few months I started having hand problems holding the grips.
Buying the smaller diameter solved the problem. Not knowing what diameter your grips are I can't tell you if that is the problem or not.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Do you have trouble reaching your control levers?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I find when I subconsciously have a death grip on the grips my fingertips tingle.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

If I catch myself gripping instead of holding the grips, I loosen up. I have had the tip of my middle finger feel numb at times and that just lets me know to lighten my grip.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Only time for me is when I come out of a very twisty section of road. I then have to remind myself to loosen up.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:57 PM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Shoulder level grips sounds like the problem. You are holding on instead of letting your body lean forward. Lower your bars a bit.
Thanks Upflying. I will give lowering the bars a try to see if that helps. My arms are already bent, but maybe just a little more will do the trick.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Do you have trouble reaching your control levers?
Thanks NORTY FLATZ. I have no problem reaching the controls. From what I'm understanding now, is my bars probably need to be lowered a bit.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Keep your thumbs resting on the top side of the grips while riding instead of around them. That'll relieve a lot of the pressure on your hands.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:47 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Keep your thumbs resting on the top side of the grips while riding instead of around them. That'll relieve a lot of the pressure on your hands.
Besides doing that I've also found that if I keep my thumbs just resting parallel to the bars, that also seems to help.

OP my bars are about shoulder high and my arms are also slightly bent and I've found the above two ways have also kept me from gripping too tightly. To save you some extra work moving the bars, maybe trying this simple method for a little while might do the trick for you. If not, you can always move the bars to see if that helps too. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Holding grips too tight?