General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've Been that guy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

Yes and it is not just those of us blessed to own and ride a Harley. Those that do not ride and cannot ride also enjoy them as I have many tell me so!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I live within a mile of a major state highway, I stop to listen to the Harley's going through the area. Wish them all a safe ride.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:52 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

I haven't been on the bike in over 3 weeks due to a cracked rib and the sound of them going by just kills me!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:05 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

I live 1mi from a pretty good size hill going out of a small town , and I can here the H-D's with no doubt

My neighbor say's she tell my bike from all the others on that hill ( "80 Shovelhead ) now those are some good ears

Old 08-13-2017, 03:09 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

I do the same.
We recently went to a rally up in the White Mountains out in NH. Naturally, the hotel we were at had several bikes there. I am an early riser, I got my coffee sat on the porch, listening to all the bikes leave.
Day two, my GF came out, saying how much she loves hearing that rumble through the walls.
She's a keeper

Old 08-13-2017, 03:12 PM
bobnoxious1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to a veterans ride at the local frontier league ball park. While waiting, a Gold Wing pulled in sounding like a Harley. He had a recording that he was playing on his stereo! Everybody loves that sound. Usually never play to the stereo on the bagger so I can listen to the bike.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Yup, even here in the suburbs I hear them go by. Have a few in the neighborhood as well.
There's 7 harleys within a 2 block circle of me that I know of, probably more and the popular area biker bar is about 5 blocks away. Not hearing a harley is a rarity.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

For me, it's not just a Harley that gets my mind in a happy place. Any bike I hear riding in front of the house makes me smile. I've also been the guy that hops on his bike when he hears another one coming down the street and will go take a short ride with whoever is passing by... Typing that out, it sounds kind of creepy... Mehh whatever

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Yes and it is not just those of us blessed to own and ride a Harley. Those that do not ride and cannot ride also enjoy them as I have many tell me so!
I'll be honest, I think this is the first time in my life I've ever heard anyone say this. haha I have friends that talk about absolutely hating the sound of Harleys. I grew up with parents that were the, "that's so trashy!" commenteers, anytime a rider would pass by. All the neighbors hated anything that took their attention away from whatever they were doing outside. I think I've even talked about how annoying it can be when someone rides by at the same time your 3 month old is aaaaaaaalmost asleep but quickly awoken because of the sound at the end of a hard days work and all you want to do is relax but now you can't because the ****ing baby is screaming again... I digress...

I don't think it was until I owned one that I was truly able to put myself in the riders seat and say, "damn, it sounds like they're having a wonderful time." Until then, it's really hard to understand.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,284 Likes on 2,350 Posts

1997, the family and I were at a tourist spot outside of Saginaw, MI. Saw some headlights twinkling up the road, soon a thunder could be heard. Then about fifty Harleys made the sweeping left turn about 45 mph and the bug bite me big time. Had a '97 XLCH 1200 in three months. The metrics only wish!

The following users liked this post:
Old Rust (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Old Rust
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
1997, the family and I were at a tourist spot outside of Saginaw, MI. Saw some headlights twinkling up the road, soon a thunder could be heard. Then about fifty Harleys made the sweeping left turn about 45 mph and the bug bite me big time. Had a '97 XLCH 1200 in three months. The metrics only wish!
That would do it for me too.
Nothing like it.

Quick Reply: I've Been that guy.