General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Lamp Bracket - Please Help.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Good job! Let's see some pics of it all together.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
Good job! Let's see some pics of it all together.
No problem, but.... my Sunpie lights from Amazon arrived today (two days early), so I'll take some pics once everything is installed.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I also want to add something in case someone runs across this thread someday and needs the info. I've always hated when someone basically goes, "Okay, I figured it out and it's fixed! See you later!" and gives no details.

The screw size for the mounting holes in the frame is: 5/16 - 24.

Anyway, I wound up making two trips to Lowe's. The first time, I bought the screws in 1-inch length. Well, guess what? Those were just barely long enough to get in the bottom holes. I actually went back to Lowe's looking for 1 1/4". No dice, so I got 1 1/2" instead. I wound up having to shorten the 1 1/"2 to about 1 1/4". Then what happened? They were still too long!

So yeah, it was a bit of a frustrating head scratcher. Finally I discovered that if I really held my mouth just right and the planets aligned properly, I could get the 1-inch screws to barely catch thread on the bottom holes. I was then able to thread them in further with a ratchet.

Then came the top holes. I experimented with using washers as standoffs and that didn't work out so well because, honestly, it just looked tacky. Neither Lowe's or Home Depot had nuts in 5/16 - 24. But the biggest problem was having to push in really hard on the upper part of the bracket to be able to get a screw to catch thread. Finally I did so and she's mounted, so I'm going to have a look at the new lights in a bit.

Also, there are additional threaded holes up near the top holes that don't align with anything on my bike, so they're presumably for installation on a different model. I put the shorter original screws in them (with a washer) so as to not have an open hole there.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
Also, there are additional threaded holes up near the top holes that don't align with anything on my bike, so they're presumably for installation on a different model. I put the shorter original screws in them (with a washer) so as to not have an open hole there.
If you ever put a Harley detachable windshield on your bike you will need those other 2 holes.

Just an FYI.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:38 AM
Fatt Tony
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Would someone be willing to take a close up photo of the hardware stack from passing lamp to turn signal through the bracket? I have a 2004, but the hardware seems to match the microfiche for the 2003, and I think it was stacked wrong to begin with. I was missing a washer and want to order the correct dome washer set, but I can't determine what exactly I need based on the parts schematic. and since washers are $30/pair on eBay, I'm loath to order without confidence.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM
HeyDoc
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow, how timely ! I'm trying to do the same thing, including removable windshield docking studs. Could really benefit from some pics.

The following users liked this post:
Fatt Tony (03-17-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:36 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatt Tony
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Would someone be willing to take a close up photo of the hardware stack from passing lamp to turn signal through the bracket? I have a 2004, but the hardware seems to match the microfiche for the 2003, and I think it was stacked wrong to begin with. I was missing a washer and want to order the correct dome washer set, but I can't determine what exactly I need based on the parts schematic. and since washers are $30/pair on eBay, I'm loath to order without confidence.
Originally Posted by HeyDoc
Wow, how timely ! I'm trying to do the same thing, including removable windshield docking studs. Could really benefit from some pics.
Here's a picture of the passing lamp / turn signal assembly on my 2012 Heritage. I don't know if it is the same for your 2004.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
Fatt Tony (03-22-2021), HeyDoc (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:23 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,231 Likes on 5,992 Posts

I can't help with your immediate questions, but I can offer this suggestion. First I would look up the part number and check the harley site and look for the instructions. You can follow the instructions online for the part number. The second is to get the parts manual for your bike....there are great exploded views showing the various systems.
But then you can always ask here as well!!!

Old 03-18-2021, 07:47 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Good job. "Never give up, never surrender!".

Old 03-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Fatt Tony
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Here's a picture of the passing lamp / turn signal assembly on my 2012 Heritage. I don't know if it is the same for your 2004.

That's perfect thank you! The microfiche for 2003 shows that small dome washer inside the block which makes no sense. The 2004 micro shows the same PN for the larger dome above the brack also below the bracket, so I think its messed up. I assembled it like yours is shown and it seems to work. Thanks for the close up.

The following users liked this post:
Bone Doc (03-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Passing Lamp Bracket - Please Help.....