General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm up ? Cool down

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 AM
Bluegoose95401
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warm up ? Cool down

I finally got my street bob together and have put about 100 miles on it so far. One thing I'm in sure of is how to warm it up and how to cool it down after your done riding it. Some people say just get on it and go some say start it and go but take it slow for the first two or there miles others say let it sit running while you put your helmet and jacket on. Same with the cool down I have heard people say when you pull up to a spot just shut it off or they say let it idle for a bit then shut it off. I'm still new to this air cooled thing what's the best way

Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 AM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegoose95401
I finally got my street bob together and have put about 100 miles on it so far. One thing I'm in sure of is how to warm it up and how to cool it down after your done riding it. Some people say just get on it and go some say start it and go but take it slow for the first two or there miles others say let it sit running while you put your helmet and jacket on. Same with the cool down I have heard people say when you pull up to a spot just shut it off or they say let it idle for a bit then shut it off. I'm still new to this air cooled thing what's the best way
I personally just go. I mean I don't open her up in 6th gear right away but I live on a busier county road where the speed limit is 55 so I gotta get up to that speed fairly quick.

As for cooling down, I just shut it off. Everyone I ride with does the same.

It may be wrong, it may be right but I've never noticed anything different in the two HD's I've owned.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 AM
RubenAlonzo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
I personally just go. I mean I don't open her up in 6th gear right away but I live on a busier county road where the speed limit is 55 so I gotta get up to that speed fairly quick.

As for cooling down, I just shut it off. Everyone I ride with does the same.

It may be wrong, it may be right but I've never noticed anything different in the two HD's I've owned.

+1 on this, I personally crank her over and am gone in the next 20 seconds or so, long enough to do up my helmet or put on my gloves. I don't race her out either, just normal riding.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:52 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Just like a cage, about 60 seconds to warm up. Shutting down effectively? Must have missed that somewhere growing into an old fart...

Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I let mine warm up until the rear cylinder gets warm to the touch, doesn't matter to me if that's considered right or wrong, I just do it that way.

As for cooling down, I just shut off the engine and let science take it from there. I don't pull into the garage while the engine is hot.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM
ChunkChunkChicken
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on that rear cylinder thing. My dealer said the same thing, wait until the rear cylinder rocker box feels warm. The bike shifts better too with the transmission oil (Formula +) warmed up as it thins out a bit.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I let it idle for a minute or two while I put on my jacket, helmet, and gloves. Then I take it easy for the first mile or so.

For shutting down, I pull into the garage and shut it off. I do leave the garage door open, but that's the help with the gas smell. Mine is air cooled (TC 96), and unless air moving over it, letting it idle down isn't going to cool it any. I figure that its not going to get any hotter than it already is, might as well shut her down.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 AM
BigBadAllis
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I start it up, let is run for 10-15 seconds and ride. Granted I have a slow 1/2 miles ride out of my neighborhood. When I stop after a ride let it idle for about the same 10-15 seconds and shut it off.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Sometimes I warm it up for 10 seconds, other times 5 minutes. Depends on how many people I am waiting for and if I get distracted or not. I dont think it really is a big deal either way... and as for shutting it off, no wait time on that either. Get the bike where i want it and turn it off.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

In Texas, in the summer, it's already warmed up. During cold weather, I let the RPMs get down. As for cool down, I just turn it off.

Quick Reply: Warm up ? Cool down