General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JIMS USA Stands Behind Their Product

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default JIMS USA Stands Behind Their Product

Just like a number of you on the forum, besides enjoying riding my Harley-Davidson, I also enjoy and get satisfaction working on it. Anyone that gets involved with more than just the basic repairs, will quickly realize one may need a number of specialized or Harley specific tools. If you're like me, than you're a tool junkie. Woman have shoes, guys have tools....

Two of the big players in the HD tool space besides SPX Kent-Moore factory tools are JIMS USA and George's Garage. Both of these companies produce a high quality USA manufactured tool.

Sometimes, I'll see a tool and purchase it knowing that I may need it down the road. Years ago, I purchased a JIMS mainshaft sprocket nut socket tool (#94660-37A) thinking I may one day need this tool for my 1993 Fatboy. Well, last week I started tearing into the Fatboy to fix an oil leak. I install my JIMS mainshaft sprocket nut socket on the nut and I can't get the socket to seat properly. It's very strange. I remove the sprocket to check things out and realize that the sprocket nut is loose and I'm able to use my fingers to remove the nut. I take the nut and place it into the sprocket nut tool to make sure it fits. Well, it doesn't fit! I measure across a set of the flats in the tool with my dial caliper and I'm seeing 1.70".

The next day I call JIMS and speak with someone in customer service. They ask me to read to them the production number of the tool. Each tool is stamped with a letter corresponding with the production month and a number corresponding to the production year. I read off 9 C to the customer service representative. She informs me that the tool was manufactured 18 years ago (March 1999). I inform her it's quite possible, but what difference does it make? You still make the tool, I've never even once used the tool and it obviously has some sort of manufacturing defect. She puts me on hold to discuss the situation with a supervisor. She gets back on the phone and gives me an RMA number and tells me to send the tool back and someone will look into it. I send the tool back along with my sprocket nut.
Just got off the phone with JIMS today. They are sending me back my sprocket nut along with a new 2017 version of the tool!

Just wanted to give JIMS a shout out for standing behind their product even after 18 years.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

You win some, you lose some.
I have Jim's big-axle hydraulic lifters on both my Shovel and my Evo. Once, out of the blue, the rear cylinder exhaust lifter cup broke on the Shovel and it bent a valve. When I contacted them, they replaced it, but I still had a bent valve. The aggravating part was they told me that because of the pushrod angle, I should have used the Evo-style lifter on the Shovel. THEN WHY DID YOU SELL ME THESE?
I milled .005" off the lifter cup for clearance, all has been long since fixed, and to their credit, both bikes have virtually NO valve train noise, lots of miles, and have held up splendidly. My Evo has no rev-limiter and has been to red line too. When I re-built the Shovel's bottom end a few years ago, I just had to remember to put that one lifter back exactly where it came from.