Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   I couldn't GIVE AWAY my Dyna... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1194802-i-couldnt-give-away-my-dyna.html)

66cruiser 08-26-2017 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by bjewell (Post 16565270)

You gonna hang on to your Dyna?

They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Tom84FXST 08-26-2017 07:42 AM

I can't get $6K for the '04. And they don't make Dynas anymore. So, what do you think? Sooner or later these old bikes will become collectible; Maybe I'll roll the bike into the house or something, the garage is too damp.

Originally Posted by uncle kebo (Post 16565999)
Few things..
* I dont think the Dynas are in the toilet due to the new line up. I actually thing they became a little more saleable BC people love the Dyna line

Your dyna or any other bike is not going to increase in value, or become more saleable because of the current line-up...in spite of all the bitching, there are TONS of people waiting for their favorite bike to come out with the M8...

For a while these things are going to fly out of the showrooms, till the new wears off...and in the process dump tons of used bikes into an already soft market...making used bikes even harder to sale.

Your best bet in getting the most out of that bike...is to post it on Craigslist...and offer to trade it for a roof.

jackolo 08-26-2017 09:25 AM

I'm in Canada and have been shopping for a newer Dyna LR or SB for a months now and this is just my experience as a shopper. It feels like the longer I wait, the better deals I find. It really is a buyers market. Also our short riding season is over maybe in a month / month and a half? Prices can only get better and no one seems to be buying.

Brand new '17 Street Bob retails for $16,900 CAD.
I first found a '15 SB for $15.5 CAD. Not bad
Found another '15 SB w/ cast wheels for $13k CAD nice
Yesterday popped up another '15 SB for $12k CAD better
​​Searched up LR models and found a '15 for $14K CAD meh
And now just found a '14 LR for $11k CAD.... alright alright alright

​​​​​​Feels like the majority of used Dyna sellers price above MSRP thinking their accessories added value and/or are guys that can't keep up with their payments. In the end, these toys are only worth what someone is willing to pay. On my area, not many are paying.

rideflhr 08-26-2017 10:02 AM

What kind of roof costs $18K? I'd be getting a few more estimates.

flyboyron 08-26-2017 12:00 PM

I miss my Dyna. I had a 2013 Super Glide Custom. It came with a 96" motor, which I had the dealer do the 103 Stage II kit.....and boy did it move.
I had them put forward controls on it and told them to replace both the primary cases so it didn't have the hole plug in it.

After having it a year, I figured I would kill myself on it so I traded it in on the Ultra Limited.

It was a great bike.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...f77a13f3e7.jpg

kontiki 08-26-2017 12:08 PM

I plan to keep mine. If I ever did buy one of the new ones I'd still keep mine. It doesn't have anti-lock braking, alarm system, key-fob ignition, throttle by wire or any of that crap that can fail. If I could easily switch to a carb without spending a lot of money and aggravation I probably would. :)

You can't even buy a basic motorcycle anymore today - they all have to have every bell, whistle and safety feature ever conceived.

TwiZted Biker 08-26-2017 12:09 PM

I have two Dynas. I was going to sell my '04 Wide Glide fro two reasons. First, I moved to Fort Bragg CA. I'm 500 yards from the Pacific Ocean and everything rusts up here. This is a cherry, highly chromed sweety and it will die a horrible death up here.

Second is I need to put a roof on the house and it is $$$$$. I'm retired now and coming up with $18K will be a bitch. I have the '14 Fat Bob with the humongous engine so I'll still have a scoot.

BUT...

I can't get $6K for the '04. And they don't make Dynas anymore. So, what do you think? Sooner or later these old bikes will become collectible; Maybe I'll roll the bike into the house or something, the garage is too damp.

You gonna hang on to your Dyna?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...36626b1d1c.jpg

I'd say give a year or 2 value on the Dyna's is going to go just the FXR's, up.

And yeah the salt air up there ain't gonna be good for a sitting bike even covered.

bradleys 08-26-2017 12:30 PM

Dyna's and Sprtsters are both fine bikes and fun to ride, but their origional price-point means that the market is full of them. Personally, I find that the Dyna styling in the recent past doesn't age well.

When looking at bikes - most people I know would be inclined to skip the Dyna and move from Sportsters to Softails or a sporty touring bike like the Road King or Street Glide.

Bottom line - too many on the market and not as desirable at the resale price point than other models.

smitty901 08-26-2017 12:34 PM

Ten years from now there will still be parts for TC's. They may cost you but they will be around. look at the EVO.
Dyna fell from favor. Dealership here had said before they could not sell them.
Good luck with the roof. Only you can decide to let it go for less than you think it is worth or hang on to it. Once sold it is gone, you likely never have a second one again

DocTkd 08-26-2017 12:45 PM

Selling

I had the same experience selling a 77 Corvette in 1990. Had it for sale about a year [ asking 10,500.00 ] and NO offers whatsoever! Then a couple came over and bought it on the spot for asking price. It seems the wife had always wanted a small rear window Corvette and 77 was the last year for that style. I think the same applies to motorcycles. Like a Corvette, they are a specialty item that is wanted yet not necessary. Therefore, it may take quite awhile to sell my 07 SoftTail Custom as it takes a person who really wants that style of bike, however, since it is no longer made, if you want a nice one you may have to pay the price. However, with that said, unless absolutely necessary, I would never just " give it away", hang in there, someone will want it just as bad as you did when you purchased it. Just my .02.