General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$5K over MSRP on 2018 Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,525 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
We were chatting with them a bit and the only thing the lead D-bag had to say was "When are you going to move up to a CVO?"

Not "Thank you for your purchase." or "What a great way to see the country - on your brand new Ultra Classic!" Nope. Just basically told me our bike wasn't worth riding and we should have dropped another $20k.

Screw them.
CVO= Cadillac Escalade.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:53 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
Nah.. there's a difference between making a profit and screwing someone over. The moco sets the msrp. The rest is just greed.

How is it screwing someone over ?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by tpitman
If the current news is anywhere near correct, most people don't have $1000 in savings.
60% of the working people in this country are within 2 paychecks of bankruptcy, they live payday to payday literally.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:59 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by nevada72
I totally disagree. The (obvious) goal to make a profit does not excuse poor business practices in the pursuit of those profits. A reputable dealer doesn't price gouge. And the part that you do have right comes into full effect at that point - the consumer makes the decision. I would think most consumers would take a hard pass on that type of business practice. This isn't 2002 anymore and buying whatever bike you want at msrp or less should be very easy very soon.

My decision would be to never set foot in that dealership again - to buy anything. There are other good dealers out there that will continue to get my money.
We agree the consumer makes the decision. That's really the end of it right there. This isn't like a pharmaceutical company gouging prices on medicine that someone has to have to stay alive. IMO that is unethical. But we are talking a luxury item from a high-end motorcycle manufacturer. If someone is stupid enough to pay $5K over MSRP instead of going to another dealer, that isn't the dealers fault.

Again, back to my original point. You are privately selling your motorcycle and know that everyone else was selling the similar bike for around $10K and that's pretty much the bluebook value listed. If you decided to ask $15 for it anyways is this unethical? The answer is no. If someone wants your bike bad enough and buys it at that price, more power to you. Nothing unethical, illegal, or immoral took place. The custom willingly decided to buy the bike at that price. No coercion took place.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:06 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Oh, I'm not sure about that at all. Most folks who have developed the ability to pay cash for $40,000 toys aren't stupid enough to actually do it.
These are more like 25 to $30,000.00 toys. Depending on one's circumstances, paying cash isn't always stupid. Some people leave their credit open for more important things like real estate and business ventures.

ETA: Before slamming a dealer for charging a premium for the 2018 models, take a look at their inventory and see how many unsold 2017s and 2016s they have.

Which ones would YOU want to move first?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
These are more like 25 to $30,000.00 toys. Depending on one's circumstances, paying cash isn't always stupid. Some people leave their credit open for more important things like real estate and business ventures.

ETA: Before slamming a dealer for charging a premium for the 2018 models, take a look at their inventory and see how many unsold 2017s and 2016s they have.

Or they are close enough to retirement taking on a debt isn't as appealing as a clear title is.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:12 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by RK4ME

Right now at dealers closest to me, this year there have been more used 2014-17 Street Glides, Ultra Classics, and Road Glides than new bikes. All the 'must haves' started trading-up for the M8 and there is a huge glut of used touring bikes. I am sure it depends on region but in my area, the market seems to be over-saturated with used bikes.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by randyp
I'm very very curious if anyone actually buys at these inflated prices.

We can be outraged all we want, but it's a no-lose for the dealer - he will just keep lowering the price until someone bites.

Well of course if that dealer hasn't pissed everyone off
Yes, people who spend $700 on clothes including "matching jackets"!! LMAO!!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

When you get to a point in life where your not trying to impress others, you will enjoy the things you have a lot longer.

My 13 Heritage still puts a smile on my face and gets an extra look when heading to the garage for a screwdriver.

I agree with another poster that putting a 5K over MRSP is probably a way to move the 17's and possible without lowering the cost of a 17 too much.

As another poster mentioned, most people are paycheck to paycheck and can not afford to loose hours at work, or their job for that matter without putting them in deep do do.

I have not seen the new bikes in person yet, and probably will not for a while due I'm not interested in trading my Heritage that still has lot's of life left, but I would not finance a bike unless I had a fully funded 401K, savings, equity of at least 50% or better
and a job that is hurting for employees so as to have less a chance of getting fired if you decide to get close with the boss's wife, lol

Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Ye

Its the salesperson's cavalier attitude in this case that is a turn off. If the guy would have made a case for supply and demand it would have been one thing but to refer openly to his customers as "suckers" makes me want to go home and take a shower after leaving that place.
Ya, good point. Unless somehow trying to agree with you, that it is high, but he is following orders.

Quick Reply: $5K over MSRP on 2018 Models