General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Essential things to look for in a riding buddy the alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default 5 Essential things to look for in a riding buddy the alternative

Maybe it is because I am getting older and turning into a curmudgeon, but I find I have less tolerance for puff pieces or bullshit. When the Curated Content Editor first started writing, I opened the articles with interest as I wanted to take a look at what was said. But, to me it became clear to me that he was an article writer and not much of a rider. I'm not saying he has never ridden a motorcycle, just that his articles are "search engine flavored and not experience based. I don't write articles for a number of automotive and motorcycle forums to make money on page hits, so what do I know? I'd probably do the same thing if that was my chosen profession.

After opening and reading and commenting on about 10 of the CCE articles, I refused to click or open one another one of his threads. Sometimes I get tricked, but I close it as soon as I see who it is. I don't want to be in competition, this is his job. But too often the articles are just too lame for me to even respond. I'd rather just do it myself.

I'm an instructor, so I see the value in these articles as teaching tools as well as sharing information with other experienced riders. I see his as broad brush, Farcebook style, get as many quick hits as possible. Maybe this is what the mythical millennial wants, but I doubt it. If this is what they wanted. they'd never leave Farcebook. Rather than post on his thread which I refuse to open, and since at least the title has merit, I'll just state my own opinion on riding bussies and no amount of clicks or likes will get me a cent.

My 5 essential criteria for enjoying a riding buddy are the following:
Touring:
1.They can handle adversity. Big ones or small ones.
2.They have similar riding skill sets. Enjoy similar speeds and roads.
3.We share the same whiskey, at least for the duration of the trip. While I said whiskey, this topic covers food stops, motels, campsites etc. No special need riders need apply.
4.They have the road tools I do not have and vice versa. They have the repair knowledge I don't have and vice versa. In short, we can strip down a broken down bike and get it back together and running on the side of the road (or we'll go find a truck or trailer and get it moved).
5.Road expenses are shared willingly while personal expenses and tastes are similar.

Cruising, ie day rides
1. They are ready on time. Arrives ready to go, filled tank, etc.
2. Holds their own whether leading or following. Similar skill sets and riding goals.
3. Does not need to stop frequently for pee, a smoke, a beer, suntan lotion, etc. We make stops as needed, but the main goal is to enjoy the ride. That way when we stop for lunch, gas or whatever, we can enjoy the break together.
4. Keeps their bike mechanically sound. Checks the oil, tires etc before we are 200 miles from home.
5. Willing to make side trips or try new places. A willingness to extend the ride if the situation calls for it. Not afraid to get home after dark or wet.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:15 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like my idea of a riding buddy. My biggest petpeeve is people arriving late. Followed by the price of food where we stop. Mostly run with just me and the old lady to avoid the aggravation.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,317 Likes on 8,538 Posts

All the reasons I ride mostly alone. I bring my own tools. Carry cellphone. Glock in my boot. Have AAA roadside coverage. And I don't share my whiskey.

Last edited by 71on72; 08-29-2017 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
r-bar-j (09-04-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

My favorite one is when I tell someone it will be an all day ride then they have some "event" going on where they need to cut short that suddenly comes up while on the ride. I think they are just getting sore from being in the saddle but there really isn't much ambiguity in "all day ride" - is there?

son of the hounds (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:31 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Time to get rid of Curated Content Editor.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

They like to stop for beers at the same time I do.

Nokkon Wud (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210
They like to stop for beers at the same time I do.
My buddy even has me drinking PBR.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
My buddy even has me drinking PBR.
You need a better buddy something along the lines of a good IPA guy.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:15 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

To me, it depends on how long the ride is. I ride with friends sometimes but generally prefer to ride solo if the trip is cross-country or more than a few hours. I hate being on someone else's time. Riding clubs/groups generally aren't my thing. Never really wanted to get into that.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I prefer going it alone too. The one friend I do ride with always seems to be lighting up a cigarette just as I'm pulling on my helmet. Or, slowing way the fug down and causing me to choose to do the same and have a car up my as* or run by him. No, alone is much more tolerable thank you. Huge group rides are to me ,and especially big waste of a good ride.

Quick Reply: 5 Essential things to look for in a riding buddy the alternative