General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedona, Grand Canyon, December, Electra Glide... What gear will be needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts
Default Sedona, Grand Canyon, December, Electra Glide... What gear will be needed?

So...

Plan on taking a weeks vacation in Sedona in the middle of December. While there I plan on heading up to the Grand Canyon to take a peak (I've never seen it). They have an Eagle Rider rental right there in Sedona. Wonder if it might be worth while to rent an Electra Glide to make the trek up to the Canyon?

Weather-wise... Looking at the averages for the area in December... Looks like 50's - and if luckly - low 60's.

I ride my Nightster down into the 40's during the winter. The Nightster of course has no wind protection. I wear a leather jacket with a heated liner (warm & safe) and leather over pants.

I have no perspective what it's like riding behind the fairing on an Electra Glide. My (former) ZX-12R was actually warmer to ride than my current Nightster in the cold. The ZX-12R's fairing was sufficient enough the create an air pocket. My over pants and jacket are both bulky and heavy. So, that's a factor when packing for the trip. I'm considering looking into getting some textile gear if it would be less heavy and take up less space when packing (any suggestions here would be welcome). The heated liner will take little space and is really light, so it will likely go along.

Oh... and I won't be alone... The Mrs. is going with me. She needs new gear anyway. However, she's never rode in cooler temperatures and I would have to be concerned that her comfort is maintained if I would like to maintain the peace.

Another questions concerns helmets. I have both a FF and half helmet. The half helmet naturally would be easier to pack and take along. The question becomes keeping face and ears comfortable. I've ridden in the cold with half helmets, mask (ZAN), and neck gaiter (Schampa. I don't know, but I'm thinking the Mrs might not like the mask. Will we need it?

So... is it even worth while considering riding in that area during that time of year? If so, how much/heavy gear will I need to make the trek comfortable for the both of us?

One possibility is to buy the gear down there, use it, then ship in home. Presumes though that I can find some place reasonably close to get it.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Red face Hard to call the weather...

The weather will be variable from decent to very cold with the very real potential for serious snow. Most of the campgrounds in that area shut down by October first or the first snowfall which can come as early as Labor Day. We were there on May 8th this year and Flagstaff had heavy snow and it was 38 degrees mid day rolling south on I-17 returning to Sedona {think about the windchill at 75 and you see what I'm talking about}.

On the other hand you might get lucky, I have seen low 70's in January... it is a weird but gorgeous place well worth a visit. I would go with the full face helmet but Eagle Riders should be able to provide them. The heated vest is a good call along with cold weather gear suitable for rides down into the 30's. If it is warmer you can always unlayer.

Lots of great riding to be had in that area. Weather permitting the Grand Canyon and Williams are awesome. A ride out through Cottonwood and up to Jerome is a must do as well. East of Flagstaff a ride out to the Meteor Crater is a fun trip too.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:52 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

There is a Harley dealer in Sedona. Could possibly wait until we get there and evaluate the weather conditions. If favorable, could go over to the dealer and buy gear there and ship it home when done.

I've never really bought gear from HD. Better options - both in price and function - always seemed to be available elsewhere. For the convenience though, I might do it in this case.

I know you can get loaner jackets and helmets from Eagle Rider. When it comes to helmets, I'd rather have my own (particularly when it comes to fit).

Old 09-01-2017, 10:09 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

The Sedona store is a T shirt shop and a small one at that. There is a dealer in Belmont about 10 miles west of Flagstaff on I-40 and an Eagle Rider store in Flagstaff.

Flagstaff, Sedona and the Canyon can get nasty (snow and ice) in December weather wise. There is also the Grand Canyon Railroad in Williams which is a great way to get to and see it.

There is also the Polar Express Railroad that goes to the Canyon and runs out of Camp Verde I believe. It's supposed to be a lot of fun and everyone I know that's done it highly recommends it.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time but I would strongly suggest having alternative plans just in case.

Last edited by IronAss; 09-01-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
The Sedona store is a T shirt shop and a small one at that. There is a dealer in Belmont about 10 miles west of Flagstaff on I-40 and an Eagle Rider store in Flagstaff.
So there goes that idea.

Flagstaff, Sedona and the Canyon can get nasty (snow and ice) in December weather wise.
So you're thinking the odds are not good...

There is also the Grand Canyon Railroad in Williams which is a great way to get to and see it.

There is also the Polar Express Railroad that goes to the Canyon and runs out of Camp Verde I believe. It's supposed to be a lot of fun and everyone I know that's done it highly recommends it.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time but I would strongly suggest having alternative plans just in case.
We will... But want to have the option of doing a bike if the weather breaks in our favor.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,639 Likes on 4,631 Posts

for sure, 2nd, 3rd, a lot of 4th, a number of 5th's and that wonderful 6th, should make your trip a wonderful experience! enjoy!

Your question is being answered by less smart ***'es, than me! Love ya!

Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

It may very well be beautiful while you are there. I'm only suggesting you be prepared.

The Flagstaff area gets on average as much as 10 feet of snow a year. You might check with Grand Canyon H-D in Bellemont to make sure they even rent in the winter. I seem to recall them stopping rentals when winter hits. I don't know about Eagle Rider.

I know that a place in Sedona rents Slingshots.

A few years ago the wife and I rented a house for a week up near Flagstaff for Christmas. On the way up we ended up sitting on I-40 for nine hours because they had closed it until the plows could clear all the snow and accidents.

I have ridden up there all winter long and never had a problem.

Not trying to discourage you. Just saying you might want to to have contingency plans just in case.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

I've spent a lot of time in that area of the country. I've been at the Grand Canyon in December and had beautiful weather, and another time been there in December and got snowed in there for three days.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:52 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crazy
I've spent a lot of time in that area of the country. I've been at the Grand Canyon in December and had beautiful weather, and another time been there in December and got snowed in there for three days.

Good luck.
Either way I think the trip will be worth while. If good weather, then I'd like to include some riding in the mix. Only issue is dealing with the logistics of riding gear...

Old 09-01-2017, 09:57 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

If memory serves me, I think that Eagle Rider rents some gear.

You could also ship yours to wherever you are staying or even general delivery at the Sedona Post office.

Quick Reply: Sedona, Grand Canyon, December, Electra Glide... What gear will be needed?