General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here, will the Iron 883 move a fat guy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 AM
Trevor Philips
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, will the Iron 883 move a fat guy?

Hey fellas, how are y'all? I'm in Arizona, one of the best places for motorcycles, clean, straight streets, no pot holes. I've wanted a Iron 883 for years now, I love the look, and it just fits me. I've sat on 3 of them, but never rode them. I'm going to a course next week that trains you on all different types of motorcycles and qualifies you after so you can show up at the DMV and get your motorcycle license.

A few questions here.

-I am 5'7, and weigh 325lbs, will this motorcycle have any issue in getting to 65-75mph and maintaining that speed on a flat highway? I travel to Las Vegas 3-4 times per year (4-5 hour drive) so I want to make sure I can keep up or beat traffic in certain areas.

-How is the longevity of this motorcycle? Are they reliable if well maintained?

-I'm not looking for all-out speed, I've owned 10 second Mustangs, and had fun racing YEARS AGO but now I'm into a nice chill ride, I still love to manually shift though.

-How is the low-end acceleration? Let's say you have to move your *** 0-20mph to get out of the way of some dumb bitch texting and driving, will I be dead or what?

The Iron 883 will be ridden for around town, leisure etc, but I just want to know how this baby will perform with a hefty guy riding it.

Off topic, do they make some kind of carrier, or side/back saddle to carry stuff for this motorcycle? I shoot 3-4 times a month in the Desert here, and I generally carry 2 pistols, a shotgun and 2 AR-15's along with ammo with simple metal hanger stands and paper targets.

Rock on y'all! Keep On Chooglin'!

Last edited by Trevor Philips; 09-02-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 AM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

A test ride will give you more useful info than a thousand of our pointless opinions.

GM

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:16 AM
Trevor Philips
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
A test ride will give you more useful info than a thousand of our pointless opinions.

GM
Yes I know, but they won't let me test drive it without a motorcycle license. I seriously appreciate everyone's opinions also.

Thank You.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

Have the dealer install stage 1 performance before you pick it up. (Pipes, high flow air cleaner and fuel map) It will haul you around just fine. There are plenty of 883s hauling passengers, two up the weight is similar to you alone.
Enjoy the class, listen to your coaches and practice practice practice.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:26 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Welcome to the forum Trevor!

Well, best I can offer is when I had my '97 1200 with a stage 1 it would move my wife and I with no problem at all, and move quickly. Low end torque was no issue. Combined weight, we were a hair under 300 lbs.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

You can get the 883 and do a 1200 conversion and it will make more power than a stock 1200.

The problem is the bike is too small overall. You are going to look like a an elephant riding a mouse.

Try it out and see how it fits, but depending on your height and inseam, one of the big twins is going to be a better fit for you.

I have never ridden a rubber mounted Sportster. I used to have a 91 or 92 Sportster and I can tell you in a long trip it sucked. That thing was solid mounted and chain driven. Doing a belt drive conversion helped with the vibration a lot. Today, they are all belt driven and have rubber mounted engines. Those two things no doubt help with the comfort on a longer trip.

Last edited by Prot; 09-02-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'm sure it'll "move" you but in time, if not sooner, you'll wish you'd have gotten a bigger bike. Get your license and go to a dealership and test ride the ones you like. It's the only way you're going to find out.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 AM
aecs
Road Master

Received 403 Likes on 225 Posts

I am 200 on my own, and I take my son 2 up who is 76 pounds, and my carbed 883C with stage 1 moves us fine, but we don't go over 45 50.

A good stage 1 and you would be fine. At 5 7 the mid controls should be good for you. Might need to upgrade the shocks for your weight. And with a commute that distance, I bet dollars to doughnuts the stock seat will get swapped out the first trip.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Height wise its a good fit. I think you are a bit heavy for a comfortable ride.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Height wise its a good fit. I think you are a bit heavy for a comfortable ride.
I would concour, I'm 5'11" 235 pounds and my 1200 custom wasn't comfortable very long it would move you I feel well especially with a stage 1 upgrade, but another issue will be it will cause the engine to use more fuel and the sportsters aren't known for their range, get your license and go test ride a few bikes you may find that what you think you like you won't like, most people out grow their first bikes pretty quick

Quick Reply: New guy here, will the Iron 883 move a fat guy?