General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding season over, left turn strikes again

Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,752 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Sorry this happened. Praying you recover completely and quickly.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:40 PM
UltraCLE
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally sucks your riding season is over, but at least you're okay!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,003 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
When a driver says that they didn't see you, they are flat out lying to try and avoid maximum accountability. Let's be real: how the hell do you miss a big ol Harley coming straight thru your intended turn path???
Expectation-dependent cognition.

Our eyes don’t necessarily tell our brain what we see. Rather our brain tells our eyes what to look for. Motorcycle riders' problem is the car driver is looking for another car. I've had drivers look straight at me with both eyes at close range and still pull out thinking the coast is clear. I've baked this lack of cognition into all my defensive driving techniques.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Blondie87
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bike but I'm glad you're ok! Take the time necessary to heal up!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:22 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark out West
Expectation-dependent cognition.

Our eyes don’t necessarily tell our brain what we see. Rather our brain tells our eyes what to look for. Motorcycle riders' problem is the car driver is looking for another car. I've had drivers look straight at me with both eyes at close range and still pull out thinking the coast is clear. I've baked this lack of cognition into all my defensive driving techniques.
Could be one reason why there are not many collisions involving a cage and bike on right turns where I live. There are many more people on two wheels here and people expect to see them. Still, with all of the incidences I read about from over there, there really needs to be something done, imo, to quell the occurrence biker/cage related accidents on left turns in the US...

Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

Call Ken Nugent... One call that's all! He'll get you paid!

In all seriousness, don't quick settle, look ahead at future issue's. Hope her insurance is decent.
What year bike? If you have done work to your bike take receipts to insurance office and make copies of your paper work, also if you keep your bike ask for the dimenished value of your bike.

So options are available for you.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

BTW.... Ask for her phone records report! If she was texting... Go after her! Assault with a deadly weapon. Yes a car in the hands of an idiot is a weapon.
Take her house, car, college funds for children..

Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you made it, and wish for a quick and thorough recovery!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Because that method was taught as a safety measure by instructors. Bikes brakes were bad back then so laying down was the better option but now its the other way around, people just haven't made the change.

OP, glad you're not worse off!

I'm just curious as to this safety training. I did my first m/c course in 1985 (Sheridan College in Oakville ON) and was an instructor in 2000, 2001 (Mohawk College, Hamilton ON). Must've been before that time?

I'm also curious as to how you actually do this. Stomp on the rear brake then crank the handlebar to tip it over? I'm willing to bet that the person who can actually think about this and execute it when surprised by another car would be able to use that same skill to stay upright and slow down as much as possible before impact, or even perhaps avoid the collision.

I believe the same as mentioned above - the car turned left in front of the bike, rider applied the brakes, the rear tire locked up and the bike low-sided. The fault of the left-turning car. Not that the rider would have time to do anything else... But claiming after the fact that "I had to lay it down to avoid a collision" is somewhat BS. Is this just a difference in language communication or do folks actually believe that they are consciously dropping their bike during the event?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,834 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Laying the bike down like that can be second nature to a lot of old guys who grew up riding dirt bikes. I'm not saying it's the "thing to do" but I did it once on my old shovel-head. It didn't go well but in the situation, at the speed... it could have gone much worse.