General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tourer decision

Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Default New tourer decision

Greetings,

Currently on a Switchback with modified suspension, both front and rear, and Stage II.

I had taken a test ride on a then new 2017 Road King in Oct 2016. I LOVED the bike. I've test ridden the SGS and RGS and while the faired bikes are nice and bring amenities that the RK doesn't have, I like the RK better. When I envision doing a cross country tour, the pilot perspective of the RK is what I see. Now, with the 2018's out, specifically the Heritage, my singular vision of an RK for next bike has become diluted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Heritage now has better suspension than the RK, comes stock with LED lights, is about 100lbs lighter (only 8lbs heavier than my Switchback), and a stiffer frame (not sure about this, but this is what HD marketing has me believing)...not to mention the available 114 engine option. The RK has better lean angle and slightly better luggage capacity in the hard bags.

Objectively, it sounds like the Heritage is the better touring bike? Subjectively, I by far like the aesthetic of the RK better. Past the looks, what does the RK bring to the table that's better than what the 2018 Heritage does?

Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 840 Posts

The Heritage (allegedly) has better suspension than the original Softtail, but I don't know that I've heard that it has better suspension than the RK.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
The Heritage (allegedly) has better suspension than the original Softtail, but I don't know that I've heard that it has better suspension than the RK.
The better suspension comment is based on travel length.....

RK forks = 4.4"
Heritage forks = 5.13"

RK shocks = 3.1"
Heritage shock = 4.4"

I'll be curious to see if the touring bikes get upgraded suspension now that the Softails have theoretically better suspension.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

If you are comparing these two bikes based on touring. RK has cruise control & Heritage does not. RK has larger fuel tank 6 gals vs. 5 gals.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Heritage has cruise control.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

IMHO, try the 2018 RG Spexial again...lol...for long touring..the fairing works..good luck!! ride Safe!!

Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
Heritage has cruise control.
I stand corrected...misread the comparison chart on HD website.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I just went through the same decision process. I went and rode both and while the new Heritage is a nice bike it is not a touring bike. The bags are small, can't add a tour pack, smaller fuel tank and lighter in weight. The RK is the better touring bike I feel like anyway. More weight capacity, more storage and you can add even more with the tour pack. But to me the RK just felt more solid on the road. The wind didnt blow it around as much as the Heritage. I thought the ride was even better. The dual front disc brakes on The RK were way better at stopping the bigger bike with a passenger The difference would be even greater. The King is built on a touring chassis and you have lots of options out there for touring accessories.
I went with the 17 RK and am happy with my decision. I think you would be happy with either bike you decide to go with. I would recommend you go ride both and pick what works for you.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

A Heritage is considered a 'cruiser'...a Road King is a 'touring bike'... Many have toured on a Heritage, including me, but the Road King is the obviously superior motorcycle for long distance touring.

Can't speak for the new Softail platform, but I can tell you that in my opinion, there is no Softail that's ever been made that compares to the RK or Glide frame for ride and comfort. The advantage with the Heritage...the old frame, anyway...is that with the right seat, you can sit 'in' the motorcycle, if that's important to you.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I sure do like the new Heritage too, but I'm still a Road King guy. I only wish I could afford a brand new one. I can dream though!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (09-15-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New tourer decision