General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhh, cooler riding is finally here...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:16 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm in Pennsylvania but I prefer 90-100 degrees for riding.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Salmo pass
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

65f is the best hands down. I am in Alberta and to day I started at 36f and ended at 60 f. Did 300 miles and not a cloud in the sky. Ran the electric vest most of the day and loved every minute. I do not have heated grips actually never have. This summer we did ride Wyoming and Idaho in 95-105 f and that wears u down. If you want to do 10-12 hr days than 65 is what you want.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, electric vest time in Manitoba as well. Been dropping to 40 F at night, gets to about 70 still in the afternoon but the clock is ticking. Hoping for a warm fall and still getting to ride through most of October.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
After the warmest summer on record for southern Arizona mid September, as usual, marks the beginning of great, cooler riding weather. Hopped on this morning at 7:30 and it was 69 degrees and the forecast calls for a cooling trend. This was my first opportunity to break in my new leather jacket... sorry I can't post a pic as it is awesome.

We are often in San Diego and I always stop by the Cycle Gear Super store to check out their close out/discount rack and on the last trip I scored a nice Street Steel, Oxblood leather jacket. Originally priced at $300 but found my size discounted to $159 and it fits like the proverbial glove. Now that it is cooling off I'll be wearing it everyday until next summer.

We leave in the morning for a a couple of weeks up in the southern Rockies of Colorado, Pagosa Springs and New Mexico, Angel Fire. We tow the Dyna SG behind our 24' Class C which opens us up to riding a lot of fine roads... Wolf Creek Pass here we come, woo hoo!
It's the wet season (started yesterday) for us.
I plan on retiring in AZ, can't wait.
But around the NW it's great for the crowd..... whats a little more water.

Enjoy the Sun & cooler weather (probably equal to our HOT weather).

Old 09-18-2017, 02:52 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

Arizona's the same as it was in Northern Wisconsin last weekend.
Nobody wears a jacket here until it drops another 20 degrees.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,081 Likes on 3,324 Posts

I'll answer both questions...

First of all if you want to ride the roads we enjoy like in the southern Rockies, northern California, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico to name just a few you have to get there and very few of them are a one day ride.

This gives you three options:
You can sleep in a tent on the ground... Nope, too old and fat for that.

You can stay at a hotel/motel every night and include all of your meals in their restaurants... Nope, too cheap for that {retired on a limited fixed income}.

Or you can choose door number 3 if you are lucky enough to own a nice little RV and a decent bike trailer {we do}. At the end of the day I have my favorite beverages, a nice hot shower and dinner {I'm a helluva cook by the way}, and get to sleep comfortably in my own bed regardless of the weather. First thing each morning we select a nice often new ride and away we go returning late afternoon.

We often stay with friends and family for free but even nights in a campground are usually $10 to $15 with our Geezer card. By traveling so inexpensively we get to go all that much more often. So far this year we have done: Quartzsite, Laughlin, Vegas, 2 weeks in Utah {rode 4 of the major National Parks}, 4 trips up to the White mountains {several rides on The Devils Highway {#191}, and the Mogollon Rim 2 weeks in Colorado and New Mexico and as noted we are leaving in the morning for 2 more.

I rode 1,100 miles round trip to northern San Diego county last April to take the ART {Advanced Rider Training} Advanced Skills Course but left the RV home making the trip solo and staying with friends. Have done 400 mile+ days 10 times in the last year and usually ride at least 100 miles several times a week... you gotta love living in southern Arizona where we can ride great roads about 350 days a year.

As far as having a bike on a trailer that trailer is merely a tool that enables me to do more quality rides than most. I ride on average about 15,000+ miles a year on some of the finest roads in America. Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that you may be a tad younger than we are, my bride and I are 66/65 and having more fun than most folks.

OK, class dismissed, there may be a quiz coming up so remember... eyes on your own paper!

LMAO (o;

Sounds good, always looking for a cup halfway through a nice ride. I haven't been down that way during the summer as the back road {I like to come down from 3 points}, floods out too often during the Monsoon. That is one of best rides in the area and I'm sure we'll be back your way soon.
Hey man, its awesome you and your wife found the most comfortable way to enjoy riding in retirement. I'm 57 and trying to plan so my wife and I can do similar stuff. Ride on and enjoy !

Old 09-18-2017, 03:04 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I rode 1,100 miles round trip to northern San Diego county last April to take the ART {Advanced Rider Training} Advanced Skills Course but left the RV home making the trip solo and staying with friends...
How did you like the course? Did you get more out of the classroom, or range exercises?
Lastly, were you one of my students?

Old 09-18-2017, 04:00 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

The cooler weather is so nice! Yesterday it was near perfect conditions in the SLC, UT area. I told my OL I was going to 45 min or so, ended up putting 200 miles on. Wish I could have done more, but had to go home eventually.

OP I'm jealous of your traveling situation. Class C and bike trailer just seems ideal.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Not in Florida. 92° here today. It won't cool down for us until mid to late October.
What do you mean? It's like autumn here in Florida. We already have leaves down on the ground.......they're still attached to trees, but nonetheless they are on the ground!

Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Bingo!
What's the point of having a motorcycle, if it's going to be on a trailer? (Non street legal motorcycles excepted.)
Exactly right!!

Quick Reply: Ahhh, cooler riding is finally here...