General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhh, cooler riding is finally here...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Ahhh, cooler riding is finally here...

After the warmest summer on record for southern Arizona mid September, as usual, marks the beginning of great, cooler riding weather. Hopped on this morning at 7:30 and it was 69 degrees and the forecast calls for a cooling trend. This was my first opportunity to break in my new leather jacket... sorry I can't post a pic as it is awesome.

We are often in San Diego and I always stop by the Cycle Gear Super store to check out their close out/discount rack and on the last trip I scored a nice Street Steel, Oxblood leather jacket. Originally priced at $300 but found my size discounted to $159 and it fits like the proverbial glove. Now that it is cooling off I'll be wearing it everyday until next summer.

We leave in the morning for a a couple of weeks up in the southern Rockies of Colorado, Pagosa Springs and New Mexico, Angel Fire. We tow the Dyna SG behind our 24' Class C which opens us up to riding a lot of fine roads... Wolf Creek Pass here we come, woo hoo!

Old 09-16-2017, 11:37 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Leave the class "C" at home, and ride yer bike.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Capt Steve. If you are ever down in Arivaca, you will find me at the Gadsden coffee shop along with numerous other riders.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

seriously, what's the point of having a class c if you're going to be leaving it at home in the driveway?

enjoy your trip.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
seriously, what's the point of having a class c if you're going to be leaving it at home in the driveway?

enjoy your trip.
Bingo!
What's the point of having a motorcycle, if it's going to be on a trailer? (Non street legal motorcycles excepted.)

Old 09-16-2017, 03:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Cooler? It's still in the low 90s here. But that's cooler than the low 100s we had this summer.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:43 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm in Alaska. The cooler riding never left.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Bingo!
What's the point of having a motorcycle, if it's going to be on a trailer? (Non street legal motorcycles excepted.)
If I had to guess its because he can't ride that many miles while touring the country. Unfortunately there are many people that would like to ride their bikes everywhere they go, but are physically unable to ride that many hours.

I know for me I physically can't do it. I'm only 42 and suffered a severe back injury as a firefighter. I would give almost anything to be able to ride 2 hours without having to stop. One day if I can afford it I want to buy an RV and take my bike with me when I tour the country.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Bingo!

I'll answer both questions...

First of all if you want to ride the roads we enjoy like in the southern Rockies, northern California, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico to name just a few you have to get there and very few of them are a one day ride.

This gives you three options:
You can sleep in a tent on the ground... Nope, too old and fat for that.

You can stay at a hotel/motel every night and include all of your meals in their restaurants... Nope, too cheap for that {retired on a limited fixed income}.

Or you can choose door number 3 if you are lucky enough to own a nice little RV and a decent bike trailer {we do}. At the end of the day I have my favorite beverages, a nice hot shower and dinner {I'm a helluva cook by the way}, and get to sleep comfortably in my own bed regardless of the weather. First thing each morning we select a nice often new ride and away we go returning late afternoon.

We often stay with friends and family for free but even nights in a campground are usually $10 to $15 with our Geezer card. By traveling so inexpensively we get to go all that much more often. So far this year we have done: Quartzsite, Laughlin, Vegas, 2 weeks in Utah {rode 4 of the major National Parks}, 4 trips up to the White mountains {several rides on The Devils Highway {#191}, and the Mogollon Rim 2 weeks in Colorado and New Mexico and as noted we are leaving in the morning for 2 more.

I rode 1,100 miles round trip to northern San Diego county last April to take the ART {Advanced Rider Training} Advanced Skills Course but left the RV home making the trip solo and staying with friends. Have done 400 mile+ days 10 times in the last year and usually ride at least 100 miles several times a week... you gotta love living in southern Arizona where we can ride great roads about 350 days a year.

As far as having a bike on a trailer that trailer is merely a tool that enables me to do more quality rides than most. I ride on average about 15,000+ miles a year on some of the finest roads in America. Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that you may be a tad younger than we are, my bride and I are 66/65 and having more fun than most folks.

OK, class dismissed, there may be a quiz coming up so remember... eyes on your own paper!

LMAO (o;

Originally Posted by Russ69
Hey Capt Steve. If you are ever down in Arivaca, you will find me at the Gadsden coffee shop along with numerous other riders.

Sounds good, always looking for a cup halfway through a nice ride. I haven't been down that way during the summer as the back road {I like to come down from 3 points}, floods out too often during the Monsoon. That is one of best rides in the area and I'm sure we'll be back your way soon.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Capt Steve:
BTLorys (09-19-2017), SBRob (09-18-2017), stixvrad (09-18-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Past couple of weeks we've been in the 60's and low 70's for highs, 40's at night. Trees are turning color and the deer will be moving soon. Watch out.

Quick Reply: Ahhh, cooler riding is finally here...