General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...

Old 09-16-2017, 01:17 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts
Default (Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...

...if you wore heated gear. Then I received a few pieces as a gift. What a difference in riding experience when the weather gets chilly. Looking forward to much more riding this year both later in the fall and earlier in the spring.

This Firstgear brand seems to be great in the limited time I've had it. So much so that I've ordered the rest of the Bat Suit. Other than it takes a few extra minutes to plug in and tuck wiring.

Anyone else have any experiences, either good or bad, with it or any other brands?

Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Gerbings heated gloves are great. I will get the heated jacket liner to go with them this winter.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

In the early 2000's I had to ride home in the mid 20Fs. I had my liner gloves under my thickest warmest gloves. By the time i got home, my hands were so cold i could not move them. They were claws. I could not get my hands into my pocket to get my house keys. Finally I was able to get them to fall out of my pants onto the ground. Even though I could pick them up, I could not separate them or get the key into the key hole. It took at least an extra half hour. When I got inside, I turned on the hot water and ran my hands under the water filling the sink. Eventually the pain stopped and I could move my fingers.
Next day I drove the car to Eagle Leather and purchased heated gloves. They came with a harness and off/on. Wonderful except hands got too hot or too cold and it was a pita running the wires down my arms. Within a few days, a rode with warm hands back to EL and purchased a heated jacket liner, dual controller and pouch. Life below 38f has not been the same since.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

I have been wearing/using it for 8 years now. It really is amazing stuff. However I think it does make you a little less tolerable to the cold when it comes to riding. I started getting tired of plugging in and dealing with the thermostat. I think the wires and controls could be much better. So two years ago I decided to experiment with other options. I found leather pants with fleece lined under armor was GREAT. Then a fleeced lined upper base layer with a sweat shirt and good jacket was just as effective. Then I got my first bike with heated grips and WOW, I did not wear the heated gear nearly as often. It may be a mental thing but I am much happier when not plugged in. But there are those days like our last ride to Daytona Bike Week and it was 28 degrees when we left home. Yeah I plugged it!

Enjoy

Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

There's no bad weather just bad clothing.

The following 2 users liked this post by E8USMCRET:
dixonk (09-16-2017), Idahokid (11-19-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

When I bought my new bike last year I told the to install heated grips. I never had heated anything before.

Cannot believe I waited so long. The grips have 10 settings and even with the temps in the teens and medium weight gloves, I've never ridden with them above 6. Absolutely love them.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I got some heated glove inserts 4 years ago for Christmas. I'd say who made them but I don't remember...I've only used them twice. But they were warm. The drawback, if I could name one is, they're wired. At least there's no battery to wear down.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:04 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I can care less what anyone thinks of me. I have my heated gear with me all the time in the bags. When the temp gets below 65 it goes on. Might not even turn it on or have it on low power but I am never cold. I get most of my riding done in fall through spring and have no problems with riding in 30-40 degree weather. When its in the 30s and 40s I wear heated pant liners as well as jacket and gloves. I haven't had a need to wear heated socks yet though.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Once I left Florida for Tennessee heated gear was a must ..

Old 09-16-2017, 06:18 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Gordon's Heated Gear

Check out these guys.
http://gordonsheated.com/
Gerbing quality has gone in the toilet. When my Gerbing gloves died after two years I went to Gordon's. Their gloves are great, warmer than the Gerbing's ever were and all of their stuff is made in the USA.

The following users liked this post:
rv7garage (09-17-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...