General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the wrong bike? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:14 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,718 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Sounds like he dealt with ole Don dagnabbit!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:23 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

So... Say the OP decides to git rid of the Sportster...

What bike is he going to replace it with that won't need mods?

Look in just about any bike specific forum on this site and you'll find complaints about stock seat comfort (this includes the touring bikes). Post about changing bars and foot controls - whether it be about comfort or style - are also about a dime a dozen.

Sportsters a notorious for having uncomfortable stock seats. If the OP keeps the Sporty and intends to spend some hours in the saddle, then I would recommend looking into a Mustang Vintage Solo (or Wide Solo). Some have also said the Corbin Classic Solo is pretty comfortable.

You'll hear a lot about how Sporty's have terrible suspensions etc. True? Meh... I have a Nightster which is setup similar to the Iron with the slammed rear end. Sporty's also have a shorter wheel base. So will it let you know that you went over a bump here and there? Sure. In that way it reminds me of my ZX-12R that I had years ago. Mostly though, the roads are pretty good around here and I don't have much complaints. The Xl1200C that was mentioned has taller shocks and more travel which may help in this department.

My main point though... The OP (or anybody for that matter) should probably pick a bike based on how he intends to use it. But no matter what he ends up with in the end, there are good odds that he will want to change/mod things to make it fit him (both functionally and aesthetically). So the odds that he will be able to escape some additional cost in this regard... Meh.... In my mind that cost just goes with the territory and should be factored in from the beginning.

All in all... Bikes are not an investment. They are a toy/luxury. You have to accept the rapid depreciation (particularly if bought new). If you mod (especially heavily), don't expect to get your money back out of it. Buy bikes (and mod if you like) because it makes you happy and realize that there is value in that (you are getting your money's worth).

Last edited by T^2; 09-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:36 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

I have to say that the salesman was not observant to your look on the bike as far as fitment. Beyond the fact of how you looked, it could have been an up sell for the dealer but more than anything by making you happy. The dealer would have established a great relationship and you are more appt to come back.....

Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

OP you don't say if you are a mechanical person and have tools or not? If you are and do I would first consider buying used parts and seeing if the bike fits you better.
Not everyone is built the same, some have longer legs and shorter torsos and others the reverse. If you are not comfortable on the bike make a decision if doing the mods would change that. If not trade it in with the dealer that will give you full value trade in allowance on a different bike.
This time before you buy ride them all to see not only what fits you the best but makes you smile the most. That bike will be the one you want to buy. Take your time.
My first HD was a 1200 custom. No matter what I tried I could not get a comfort level I liked. I traded it in on a Fat boy and never looked back. Not having a bike right now I am looking at a Heritage or Deluxe as they fit me well.
It is your choice and your wallet. Don't short change yourself life is short.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
So... Say the OP decides to git rid of the Sportster...

What bike is he going to replace it with that won't need mods?
selling a 30 foot tall man a 883 iron was a scumbag move. not sleeping on the deal was a rookie move. there's contributory on both sides but, throwing good money after bad is a terrible move. doubling down on bad.

cut and run...take the lumps and move on, some states allow a 3 day return on vehicles Illinois is not one of those states, unfortunately: http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/auto.html

i remember being at a dealer in SC and witnessing a sales man telling a tiny girl (rider) and her mother (buyer) that she needed to skip a sportster as a first bike and to go with a big twin or touring bike as her first ride. i was disgusted by that guy. all he cared about was the bag, not the person. looks like the same thing happened to OP. the 2004 1200c is gone but,... hey whats you budget?... oh, how's your credit? well here's this low slung pain machince with less power and mids to crunch you up. $$$

Last edited by cvaria; 09-17-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:44 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

I've owned quite a few bikes, and I've slowly discovered that for me they're kind of like guitars. While some of them were awesome and did everything I wanted, after a while I would get an itch to try something different. Just because.

On the one hand, I would say keep what you have, love it, and ride the hell out of it even if it isn't perfect. But on the other hand, I understand the compulsion to constantly upgrade because the grass is always greener.

There always seems to be a bike that will fit you better, have controls more suited to your riding style, more power, a cooler look, better storage options, etc. And no matter what you buy, for a lot of people that feeling never completely goes away. After a while you end up with a big, powerful bike which is really great. And then you get bit by the bug to return to something lighter, simpler, and a more pure motorcycling experience. And round and round we go.

Guitar players refer to this as GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). It can be a hard thing to control when you're "gassing" for a new piece of gear, which is exactly why guys end up with 17 different guitars and 5 bikes in the garage.

What I try to do is close my eyes and think to myself, "What would I really like to go ride right now if I could ride anything?" If I can come up with a consistent image in my head of what I REALLY want to ride, then that's what I need to buy.

Not sure if any of that helps at all. If not, disregard and do whatever feels right. Because motorcycling isn't about needs, it's about feels and wants.

Last edited by DM426; 09-17-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

You're never going to bond with that bike no matter what seat, bars or what ever you swap out on it. Find the bike that's right for
YOU

The following 2 users liked this post by Rick58:
Bluesrider.df (09-17-2017), drcollie (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Your first post should tell you what to do...get the bike that you want AFTER you test ride or rent the ones you like and that fits you. Like you said, you didn't do any or enough research before you bought the Sportster. Do that with the next one.

Plain and simple. Take the loss and take the lesson learned.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 AM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

With you being "a new rider with only a thousand miles under your belt", it would seem to make sense to me to get some significant mileage under that belt before making another purchase. Since the dealer will take the bike back and give you the purchase price on another purchase, you might get as much seat time in as possible before deciding what kind of riding you are going to do and what bike fits you and your riding style best. I just started back riding in April after a brief lay-off (of 35 years), and a sporty would have been easier to get up to speed on than this Road Glide. Not saying I would have bought an 883, but since you have, you can get in some good practice and decide what you really want and not make the same (or similar) mistake again.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Sportsters are for looking at! If you can get out from under it with little loss, do it! A road king is the correct choice for what you need! The king does it all!!!!! I had a sporty and I am not a big guy and I felt like a giant on a toy!

Quick Reply: Bought the wrong bike? Need advice