General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are u checking tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Been using FOBO for about 2 months, very convenient. Front is usually good, not uncommon to add 1-2 #s to the rear pretty regularly. 90 degree valve stems help on the rear.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I'm also running tubes.
Very little air loss. I have calmed down my ADD and now check about every other week. But, I bought Harleys little hose adapter thingy. It makes checking that worthless and utterly garbage design rear valve stem...... A whole lot easier.
Yep ... Me too.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I check mine but apparently not as often as others who've posted. The shop puts nitrogen in the tires and they said not to put air in them because it effects the nitrogen in them.
You know what effects the tire even more? Improper pressure

Originally Posted by upflying
Air is 78% nitrogen, mixing air with nitrogen is harmless. I suspect the shop wants you to return to spend more money on genuine nitrogen.
This right here ^^^ The selling point is that N2 is a larger molecule than 02 and thus the tire is subject to less loss due to gas permeability, the reality is that nitrogen is 300 picometers in diameter oxygen is 292 picometers in diameter, a difference of 2.6% in molecule size. N2 expands and contracts with temperature changes just like air. It is more important to keep your tires properly inflated than it is to keep the nitrogen pure.

Pure N2 is used in aviation tires since it's non combustible, and being dry nitrogen it doesn't introduce water into the tire through condensation, during a landing cycle an aircraft tire experiences rapid acceleration and generates a lot of heat, water condensation can flash to steam and the absence of O2 keeps a fire from forming in the interior of the tire when they rapidly heat. O2 also has mild oxidizing effects on rubber, a bike tire should be changed every 5 to six years regardless of mileage and wear so running N2 is a waste of time and money, it provides a false sense of security.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (09-20-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I check pressure at least weekly.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I check in March and Oct.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I ride every day and check pressure about twice a week. I have TPMS on the bike so checking pressure is a breeze. If air is needed, the valves on my commuter bike are on the side (see pics below) and the center stand on the bike make it very easy.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_usa
I ride every day and check pressure about twice a week. I have TPMS on the bike so checking pressure is a breeze. If air is needed, the valves on my commuter bike are on the side (see pics below) and the center stand on the bike make it very easy.

Well how about that. A design that's NOT completely idiotic!
Now if only the MOCO could figure that out....lol

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Air is 78% nitrogen, mixing air with nitrogen is harmless. I suspect the shop wants you to return to spend more money on genuine nitrogen.

Air also has water vapor in it. When the vapor condenses, you get water in your tire and the air pressure goes down (consider what condense actually means). Nitrogen, if "pure", has no water vapor so you don't get the continuous cycle of building up moisture and losing pressure.

Originally Posted by strych9
I check mine before the weekly wash. The rear valve stem access is a joke, especially with a hot brake rotor!

Hot brake rotor? Shouldn't you be checking the pressure while "cold"?

Originally Posted by bettingpython
This right here ^^^ The selling point is that N2 is a larger molecule than 02 and thus the tire is subject to less loss due to gas permeability, the reality is that nitrogen is 300 picometers in diameter oxygen is 292 picometers in diameter, a difference of 2.6% in molecule size. N2 expands and contracts with temperature changes just like air. It is more important to keep your tires properly inflated than it is to keep the nitrogen pure.

Pure N2 is used in aviation tires since it's non combustible, and being dry nitrogen it doesn't introduce water into the tire through condensation, during a landing cycle an aircraft tire experiences rapid acceleration and generates a lot of heat, water condensation can flash to steam and the absence of O2 keeps a fire from forming in the interior of the tire when they rapidly heat. O2 also has mild oxidizing effects on rubber, a bike tire should be changed every 5 to six years regardless of mileage and wear so running N2 is a waste of time and money, it provides a false sense of security.

The larger molecule thing is BS. The difference is the presence of water vapor in air vs nitrogen.

Who leaves a bike tire on for 5 or six years? If you're doing that then it isn't the nitrogen that is a waste of money, it's the bike.

What is the "security" that one looks for in nitrogen?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Honestly, I almost never check. If I do, it's because I hit something really hard out on the road.

Once a year, I pull the wheels and drop them off at the indy next door. He puts on new tires and airs them up.

Repeat a year later.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,096 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I check the tire pressures every 7 to 10 days...always in the morning before going for a ride while the tire pressures are cold.

I usually have to add about two lbs. every 2 to 3 weeks no matter which motorcycle I'm getting ready to ride.

Quick Reply: Are u checking tire pressures?