General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are u checking tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

The TPMS and angled valve stems make it a lot easier on my CVO. I still have to manually check the other two bikes though, and I do it routinely.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I check mine every time before I pull the bike out of the garage. Takes 1 minute. I got into that habit years ago when I had a slow leak in my front tire. A dude I ride with hardly ever checks the tire pressure....he says once a year.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Anyone ever see a rider, with a tire that is just about on the rim bead? Heading for the freeway? 2-up? Front or rear tire. What would/have you done about it?
As an RC, we're trained to look for obvious things. See it quite often, actually. I always let the rider know. Some pull over right away, some continue their adventure...
One time, I saw a rider's rear tire going down right next to me on the freeway. He started to do a "tank slapper" but didn't fall down. I pulled right behind him in the emergency lane. I had a lift gate on my stakebed truck, so I loaded his bike up into the stakebed, and drove him to the local indie, that I use. It was only 2 or 3 miles away, fixed the tire and on his way. This was in the 1980's I think.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM
HogzBreath
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I only check mine if I have a WTF moment... WTF, that tire looks low!
WTF, this bike isn't handling right!

Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Vibeman
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

When I'm on a trip, I check both tires every morning, your altitude affects tire pressure too. When at home I check them maybe once a week. When I install new tires I check them before and after every ride until I am comfortable they are at a stable pressure. I had a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide (skinny front tire, spoked wheel with tube) and even through several tire/tube changes it always lost a little pressure regularly. Probably due to small air volume as mentioned previously.
I always use the tire pressure recommended in the owners manual.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:11 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

To the OP: I check before every ride and have only had to make infinitesimal adjustments on rare occasions. Temperature variability in cold tire pressure is a ratio based on temps in degrees Kelvin where zero deg. K = −459.67 °F. It takes a pretty big atmospheric temperature swing to affect tire pressures much at all. I check so frequently because I have a compressor right there in my garage. I check to see if the tire was compromised during my previous ride, not because I think temps have a significant impact on cold tire pressures. It does, but you're picking fly **** out of the pepper to worry about it.

Originally Posted by bettingpython
You know what effects the tire even more? Improper pressure

This right here ^^^ The selling point is that N2 is a larger molecule than 02 and thus the tire is subject to less loss due to gas permeability, the reality is that nitrogen is 300 picometers in diameter oxygen is 292 picometers in diameter, a difference of 2.6% in molecule size. N2 expands and contracts with temperature changes just like air. It is more important to keep your tires properly inflated than it is to keep the nitrogen pure.

Pure N2 is used in aviation tires since it's non combustible, and being dry nitrogen it doesn't introduce water into the tire through condensation, during a landing cycle an aircraft tire experiences rapid acceleration and generates a lot of heat, water condensation can flash to steam and the absence of O2 keeps a fire from forming in the interior of the tire when they rapidly heat. O2 also has mild oxidizing effects on rubber, a bike tire should be changed every 5 to six years regardless of mileage and wear so running N2 is a waste of time and money, it provides a false sense of security.
BINGO !

N got used in auto racing buy teams looking for any infinitesimal advantage they can find in keeping cars at maximum performance during hours at high speed on a hot track. You're pissing up a rope if you think N has meaning in a passenger car or MC tire. If you're experiencing significant tire pressure changes, its something else doing it, not your choice of gas.

Our local Dealer stopped it with the N bullshit as customers began to wise up. Dry air works all day every day, giving nothing up to N in your MC tire.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23

Our local Dealer stopped it with the N bullshit as customers began to wise up. Dry air works all day every day, giving nothing up to N in your MC tire.
10 or 15 years ago, all of the tire shops pushed N2 REALLY hard. For the past several years now, the same shops don't even offer it, or try and sell it. Nitrogen was put in the tire shops as a profit making add-on to tire packages. I still remember all of the posters plastered on the walls listing all of the benefits.
The idea apparently had it's time in the sun............

Last edited by Brewmany; 09-20-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

To the OP: I check before every ride and have only had to make infinitesimal adjustments on rare occasions. Temperature variability in cold tire pressure is a ratio based on temps in degrees Kelvin where zero deg. K = −459.67 °F. It takes a pretty big atmospheric temperature swing to affect tire pressures much at all. I check so frequently because I have a compressor right there in my garage. I check to see if the tire was compromised during my previous ride, not because I think temps have a significant impact on cold tire pressures. It does, but you're picking fly **** out of the pepper to worry about it.
You know 1°K = 1°F.... right?

That said, your point is correct - it takes more than a few degrees to make a noticeable impact on cold pressure.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Two or three times a season.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

BINGO !

N got used in auto racing buy teams looking for any infinitesimal advantage they can find in keeping cars at maximum performance during hours at high speed on a hot track. You're pissing up a rope if you think N has meaning in a passenger car or MC tire. If you're experiencing significant tire pressure changes, its something else doing it, not your choice of gas.

When I bought the wife's new car they wanted to charge me for the nitrogen filled tires. I literally laughed at the sales guy. I told him he could take it out and fill the tires with regular air if they did not want to give it to me, but I was not going to pay for it.

Quick Reply: Are u checking tire pressures?