General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger wheels better handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:19 AM
nuk3max
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger wheels better handling?

Gday guys im looking to put a 21x3.5 wheel on the front end of my softail, does anyone have an opinion on if the bigger wider wheel upfront provides better handling?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Better than what, an even skinnier 21" or an 16/18/19"? I thought a 21" rim would be like, 2.125" or something.

Seriously? No, a 21" isn't about better handling, it's about looks. But then, I guess with a Rocker, and a fat 240mm rear tire too, handling wasn't your priority purchase factor?

You're talking "chopper", not Ducati!

Once you've done the swop, there will the question of choice of tire, and you'll have more choices with smaller diameter wheels. You have to figure in tire profiles and how it might change your rake and geometry slightly.

Or just admit it is all about looks and enjoy the radical result. It's your choice in style.

Typically a little more 'flop' at low speeds is the result.

Stock is a skinny 90/90 19" front tire, a lot of guys ride 100/90 on stock wheels with good results if handling is a priority, a few pushed it to 120s. What size of tire are you thinking putting on a 3.5 rim?

I'd use the search function to read others Rocker specific experience with a 21" but perhaps the question to ask is, "Will a 21" screw up my handling much?".

Here's how a 21" looks,

Personally, and I can only speak from personal taste, I'd prefer a wider 19" tire to balance the wide rear and I'd put my money on it being the better handling option.

Bitchin Seat Store even do a 23". Spendy, but doesn't look out of place on that model.

Last edited by Wodan; 10-01-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a 21" wheel on my softail. Stock tire is a 80/90 but I use a 90/90. The size of the wheel (21" vs 19") shouldn't make a difference in handing but a wider tire could make a slight difference in how stable the bike feels at very slow speeds, like when you're pulling up to a light, almost at a stop, with your feet on the pegs. Other than that my softail doesn't feel any less stable than my Low Rider with a wider front tire did. My Low Rider handling better was more about it having less rake than my softail, and less about how wide the front tire was.

As far as steering, the wider the front tire the heavier the steering will feel. The skinnier the tire the lighter the steering will feel. Usually something you barely notice unless you go extreme one way or another.

My softail handles just fine with it's skinny 21" front tire. Many times it's taken me though twisty mountain roads (like the Dragon), up and through dirt & gravel roads (like Mt Washington), and through rain and grated bridges, with no issues in handling.

Tell us more about what bike and what size wheel and tire you have now and we'll be able to help more.

Had to edit because my bike doesn't have a 3.5" wide rim.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 10-01-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Had to edit because my bike doesn't have a 3.5" wide rim.
3.5" rim is wide which had me wondering which tire he is planning on using.

For decades all the Glides, most H-Ds in fact, only had 3.00 rear rims with wide tires.

May be a 120/70 x 21" ? I'm well out of date with the more extreme stuff but given the rear, I would have thought it would slightly improved things.

Theoretical consideration only.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,525 Likes on 6,640 Posts

I replaced the 21 with a 19 on my bike & it rides & handles much better.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:51 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

My SIL owns a Dyna Wideglide, he says my Dyna Superglide handles better than his WG with the 21" front hoop.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM
nuk3max
Novice

So iv just got the stock 19" Rocker wheel upfront but most wheels dont fit the narrow trees so im looking to purchase a wide glide front end to increase whats available on the market, im looking at the ultima 48 fat king spoke rims in either the 21x2.15 or the 21x3.5 pretty much your only two choices in front wheel size by that particular company

Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by nuk3max
So iv just got the stock 19" Rocker wheel upfront but most wheels dont fit the narrow trees so im looking to purchase a wide glide front end to increase whats available on the market, im looking at the ultima 48 fat king spoke rims in either the 21x2.15 or the 21x3.5 pretty much your only two choices in front wheel size by that particular company
I'm running a 21"x3.5" wheel and 120/70/21 tire on my Rocker, with the stock front end. I actually think the bike handles much better now, then it did with the smaller wheel and stock 90/90/19 tire. I really didn't like the way the skinny tire would want to grab cracks and tar snakes in the road, and the 120 tire eliminated that. Finding a fender to work with the 21" wheel and stock front end might be a little tough. I had a custom fender made, there's more info about the wheel swap and fender issues in my Rocker C mod thread, if you want to check it out...

Old 10-01-2017, 05:55 PM
nuk3max
Novice

Cheers Rocker B did you have any issues with spacing the hub etc with the bigger wheel?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by nuk3max
Cheers Rocker B did you have any issues with spacing the hub etc with the bigger wheel?
No, and your wheel options are pretty much wide open... I chose the wheels I wanted, and cut the spacers down to size.

Quick Reply: Bigger wheels better handling?