General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many frozen brake pedals and levers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:57 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Well, here's something to put into the mix. I went in to schedule my recall service to flush and replace the brake fluid...then went over to the parts department. They said that they had received ten cases of new Platinum DOT 4, but had NOT received instructions to pull the old DOT 4 and replace it with the updated stuff. The only reason they had it was to accommodate recall service. They also confirmed that it was something like double the price of the old stuff.

I thought that was interesting. They certainly were expecting the Platinum to replace the older version, and hey...it could happen soon...

Old 02-25-2018, 03:22 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

To my thinking, it makes sense to flush and replace hygroscopic brake fluid regularly!

The problem here is that it's not really a home mechanic project as it needs the HD Digital Tech interface to correctly cycle the the HCU.

Should really be part of every 10K miles or 2 year service interval check at HD dealers .

Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Brakes can fail (locked pedal) on ABS equipped and non-ABS brakes as well. You listed a pile of users you say that claim an ABS brake failure. How did you confirm the actual cause of these failures? Plus, what exactly are you trying to do?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a 12' Street Glide for 3 years and 35K miles with no problems.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM
wibiker
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Brakes can fail (locked pedal) on ABS equipped and non-ABS brakes as well. You listed a pile of users you say that claim an ABS brake failure. How did you confirm the actual cause of these failures? Plus, what exactly are you trying to do?
I tried to list only the ABS failures discussed in this forum that appear to be due to this well documented mode of failure that is responsible for the recent recall. I have done no confirmation or follow up to verify the actual cause of failure. What am I trying to do?

1. Make my fellow biker's aware that their ABS brakes could fail giving them a frozen pedal or lever.
2. Provide evidence that the incidence of failure may be greater than many think.
3. Get the MOCO to reimburse for the costs to replace a failed system.
4. Get the MOCO to redesign the system so if it fails, it would fail in a fail safe mode giving the rider normal non ABS brakes like they claim in their advertising.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Talking to an Indian owner Sunday about this and his service dept. asked him if he has changed his brake fluid lately. Seems they are on the two year program also.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by wibiker
I tried to list only the ABS failures discussed in this forum that appear to be due to this well documented mode of failure that is responsible for the recent recall. I have done no confirmation or follow up to verify the actual cause of failure. What am I trying to do?

1. Make my fellow biker's aware that their ABS brakes could fail giving them a frozen pedal or lever.
2. Provide evidence that the incidence of failure may be greater than many think.
4. Get the MOCO to redesign the system so if it fails, it would fail in a fail safe mode giving the rider normal non ABS brakes like they claim in their advertising.

Thank you for taking the time to compile this list.

The following users liked this post:
wibiker (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wibiker

Apparently, the NHSTB doesn't believe the HD system is a bad design since the same design is widely used on other types of vehicles successfully. The fault seems to lie in specific maintenance needed every two years due to the type of fluid used. It must be flushed and renewed to prevent possible corrosion. A fail safe feature would not be feasible since a complete redundant braking system would be required. The cost would be prohibitive. As long as the fluid is changed in accord with the requirements these failures won't happen. But there is an unresolved issue. In order to properly flush the fluid, the HCU must be cycled using the proprietary Digital Technician software available only to HD dealers. This severely limits an owner's access to the maintenance remedy required by HD and presents a safety hazard to the owner. This needs to be corrected.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:55 AM
wibiker
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Apparently, the NHSTB doesn't believe the HD system is a bad design since the same design is widely used on other types of vehicles successfully. The fault seems to lie in specific maintenance needed every two years due to the type of fluid used. It must be flushed and renewed to prevent possible corrosion. A fail safe feature would not be feasible since a complete redundant braking system would be required. The cost would be prohibitive. As long as the fluid is changed in accord with the requirements these failures won't happen. But there is an unresolved issue. In order to properly flush the fluid, the HCU must be cycled using the proprietary Digital Technician software available only to HD dealers. This severely limits an owner's access to the maintenance remedy required by HD and presents a safety hazard to the owner. This needs to be corrected.
For unknown reasons the NHTSA bought off on the MOCO's proposal to flush the ABS system with the new fluid rather than focus on a design change. All ABS systems contain the same components and normally operate as a conventional braking system. The unique problem with this system is that the during the failure mode the HCU creates a hydraulic lock condition and is unable to switch back to conventional braking leaving the rider with an inoperable brake.

Some additional failures from the threads.

Gearheadin, 11 RG, rear, 3/18
111111bw, 08 Ultra, front, 2/18
rfulford, 11 Ultra, 11/17
ppearl, 09 SG, front, 3/18
Essbaum, 2012?, 3/18

That brings the total to 49 failures identified within the threads on this forum. I have no idea how many of these failures have been reported to the NHTSA.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-30-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 04-01-2018, 09:36 PM
amcar
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 09 RK fixed 2 years ago. I just had the ABS removed and it has worked perfect since.

The following users liked this post:
wibiker (04-02-2018)

Quick Reply: How many frozen brake pedals and levers?