New Harley Rider seeking bike recommendations - Harley Davidson Forums

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Rider seeking bike recommendations

P

Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Default New Harley Rider seeking bike recommendations

Hello, new to the forum and looking for my first bike.
22 years old about 5'9 and 155lbs
I've riden dirt bikes my whole life and raced quads for a few years so I'm not afraid to ride.
have ridden a few motorcycles but not many and not for very long , had a Suzuki boulevard and a ninja 636
The look of the newer street bobs interests me and I would like to spend around 10k so it fits my budget well however I'm a marine stationed out of a small town in Arizona so me and my girl like to take trips to Phoenix and San Diego so I want to be able to comfortably ride decently far every other weekend. It also gets super hot in the summer so a windshield would be very nice
Im just not too sure if getting a glide as my first Harley would be foolish. I would like to get a glide so we can cruise in comfort and style plus they are just a bad *** bike, but I'm still interested in Dynas and soft tails , what do you guys think ?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Road Master

First... Thank you for your service.

Any dyna but a 2006? That year seems to be the transition year. like 69!
Look through the pictures of all of the bikes and pick what you like. Which ever you choose you'll make it your own, even if you buy a new one good used bike with all the goodies..
Now IMHO.. Chrome looks nice, and done moderately is great, but if you buy a new one fully chromed the polish time will take away from your ride time.
Go to the dyna page and look for the thug style thread..

Good luck and once again thanks for your service
Old 10-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Usual avice on this sort of question is go to a dealership sit on what you like, then go on a test ride. Only you can decide, if you like glides and can afford it get one, not as if you've no experience you've got a fair bit of riding under your belt. A Glide may seem big to begin with but you'll soon get used to it. Good luck what ever you decide on.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna View Post
Usual avice on this sort of question is go to a dealership sit on what you like, then go on a test ride. Only you can decide, if you like glides and can afford it get one, not as if you've no experience you've got a fair bit of riding under your belt. A Glide may seem big to begin with but you'll soon get used to it. Good luck what ever you decide on.
I agree, based on what you said you shouldn't shy away from a Touring if the rides to San Diego trump the scooting around town. You will find they ride "smaller" than they are. You'll adjust just fine. Also I only have one bike and the common denominator was long rides and comfort for the wife. Use the Ultra Limited in town everyday. It not bad at all.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:23 PM
One Of The Regulars

What was already said....everyone has a different taste in bikes. 5'9/155 lb John Doe will probably have different taste/needs/wants out of a bike than 5'9/155 lb you.

Like magna said...go to the dealers after looking online at what catches your eye then sit on and test ride ones that feel comfortable. There's plenty of good bikes that are smaller/cheaper than the bigger Glides that make for good long-distance riders.

Take your time, shop around.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW13 View Post
First... Thank you for your service.

Any dyna but a 2006? That year seems to be the transition year. like 69!
Look through the pictures of all of the bikes and pick what you like. Which ever you choose you'll make it your own, even if you buy a new one good used bike with all the goodies..
Now IMHO.. Chrome looks nice, and done moderately is great, but if you buy a new one fully chromed the polish time will take away from your ride time.
Go to the dyna page and look for the thug style thread..

Good luck and once again thanks for your service
Thank you for the support , and thanks for the advice. I'm mainly worried if it would be foolish for me to get a newer glide .. I'd hate to get that nice of a bike and lay it down. Although I'm not too worried about it we all know that **** happens lol
Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Road Warrior

Get the glide especially for long trips. If you really are intending to take long trips back and forth from Yuma to SD and Phoenix. Which is the only marine base I know of.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Just my 2 cents but you will if like riding any distance end up on a touring bike I do love my Street Glide
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Marine, I think you need to take a motorcycle safety course to ride on base. Do this (unless you’ve already.)
Go rent prospects, then evaluate each candidate. Ride each one to Sandy Eggo, 2-up. That should be a good eval. Choose the bike that checks the most boxes.
Knowing how the USMC moves people around, are you stationed perminently?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM
One Of The Regulars

The Harley trailer/demo bikes are in Tucson this weekend, go for a ride....

P