General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Heated Grips or Heated Gloves
Heated Grips
34.21%
Heated Gloves
65.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:13 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I've got both and honestly I feel the heated grips are more useful than the gloves. Perfect example is right now around my way it's sunny and 72 but in a few hours it will drop 20 degrees easy. So if I'm out just cruising around I probably wouldn't think to wear or bring heated gloves. So I'm not gonna be too far from home so the heated grips are great for situations like these.

Now if I know I'm going on an extended ride or trip and it's gonna be cold weather then the Heated Gloves are great for those situations. But when I'm not too far from home and just wanna get the chill outta my hands the grips do the trick

Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Main advantage with heated grips: You have them no matter what gloves you remembered/forgot/have on.

Main advantage with heated gloves: You keep them when you sell/trade the bike, instead of having to buy another set of heated grips.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Gloves & heated jacket liner

Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by farmboy555
Gloves & heated jacket liner
That is, believe it or not, exactly what I have.

For folks that have never done it, along with some nice windproof riding pants, you can NOT believe how nice it is to go on a ride on a crisp, cold day, and experience a stunning blue sky, sunshine, and see the whole world stretching out in front of you.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I have neither. I have a pair of leather gloves I wear, with my leather coat. Also do not own chaps. Good pair of long underwear under a pair of flannel lined jeans, if needed... depending on how long the ride is.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by jamala00
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I have neither. I have a pair of leather gloves I wear, with my leather coat. Also do not own chaps. Good pair of long underwear under a pair of flannel lined jeans, if needed... depending on how long the ride is.
I have several pair of fleece-lined jeans. Damn, those things are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I've gained so much weight since I've moved to Idaho, (my "happy fat"), that I can't get them on.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Gloves. I've ridden in mid-20s and the only thing that gets uncomfortable is my hands. The gloves fixed that.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Gloves. I've ridden in mid-20s and the only thing that gets uncomfortable is my hands. The gloves fixed that.
Wouldn't disagree. As long as your hands are warm, it's amazin' what else you can put up with.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,754 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
For the best result, I prefer heated gloves as the heating goes around the back of your hand as well as the palm.

However - because you have to plug the gloves in (unless you get battery operated ones), heated grips are easier to use....

If you are only doing rides of hour or so, then battery operated heated gloves may be the way to go. I have some Gerbings ones that can use us battery or hard wire, but I haven't bought the battery packs so can't say how long they last - but I wouldn't imagine it would be much more than an hour or so....
Are your gloves the T-5 Hybrids? I have a pair, and I do have the battery packs. On full heat, they last exactly an hour. They'll do about 1.5 hrs on medium, and about 2 hrs on low.

Cheers!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,754 Likes on 768 Posts

I've had Gerbing;s heated gloves (and jacket liner - as mentioned above, this is the combo you should have, rather than the gloves alone) for years. They are awesome, and with the jacket liner allow me to ride comfortably right until the big snow (PTOOOIIIEEEE!!!) comes to stay for winter (PTOOOOIIIIEEEE!!!!). That said, I have noticed on very cold days, when I've been out for a few hours, my hands tend to start to feel the cold, even with the gloves cranked up to full.

This summer, when I installed the Wild 1 16" Chubby Apes on Reaper, I also installed a set of Heat Demon grip heaters. I haven't ridden below 40 F yet, this season, but I can tell you that the combo of the gloves and the grips makes a big difference! I haven't needed to have either turned up full blast yet, but I can tell that when the real cold sets in, I will be fine, and I believe that the cold I've felt on the really cold, long, days in the past will not happen anymore.

So, my suggestion is both. If you have to choose, though, I would go with a good quality pair of heated gloves.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves