General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High bridge in high wind!!!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Stud Duck
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts
Exclamation High bridge in high wind!!!

I ride over the Sam Houston Tollway Ship Channel Bridge to work and back, it has 175' clearance underneath with flat landscape all around, and today the wind had the pucker factor maxed out!

The bridge runs north to south and the wind was coming out of the south, so as i was riding south bound and reached the top, the head wind was pushing upward of the road and made the bike feel very unstable and shaky. I already new it was going to be bad so i slowed, before the top, to what i felt like would be a safe speed, 50-ish, but not to slow because that seems to make it worse. When the wind is from the side i lean that way to compensate, but this was head wind, I leaned forward and tried to relax as stiffing my arms seemed to make the shaking worse, and it worked out.

Anyway i shot LRS's an email asking which shield creates the most down force, and now just looking for any advice on riding technique???
Thanks in advance.

Oops, forgot to say i am on the Ultra in my signature pic.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:53 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

That is a lot of bike to be moving through wind as you describe. Have been to/through a few such areas and there is usually a warning if not a closure of the bridge. Guess you are a grown man so will close in saying that most often judgement is the best deciding factor. Sometimes mine (judgement) gets clouded and that is when mistakes/regrets happen.

The following users liked this post:
Stud Duck (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I have the Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel near me. They have wind restrictions that limit what vehicles can cross depending on the wind speeds. Bad enough they will stop Semi trucks, motorcycles and cars with car top carriers on them from crossing. Does your bridge in Houston have any rules in place about strong winds?

Old 10-22-2017, 06:09 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Confederation Bridge to PEI crosses Northumberland Strait, that section of the Atlantic Ocean between PEI and New Brunswick Canada. Its about 7 1/2 miles long:

Stay off this sucker during high crosswinds unless you're prepared for a true test of your skill and stamina.

Coastal winds are characteristically gusty and can be strong even when wind is not a consideration in non-coastal areas. Plan your rides advisedly so you don't end up half way across one of these thinking "WTF have I done"? Ask me how I know,,, .

Last edited by HKMark23; 10-22-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 AM
H20loo
Tourer
Received 264 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Confederation Bridge to PEI crosses Northumberland Strait, that section of the Atlantic Ocean between PEI and New Brunswick Canada. Its about 7 1/2 miles long:

Stay off this sucker during high crosswinds unless you're prepared for a true test of your skill and stamina.

Coastal winds are characteristically gusty and can be strong even when wind is not a consideration in non-coastal areas. Plan your rides advisedly so you don't end up half way across one of these thinking "WTF have I done"? Ask me how I know,,, .
This!! Rode across on a Wing and that baby was dancing under me. Bought more underwear in PEI.
Only advice for riding in bad situations is- DON'T do it purposely.

Last edited by H20loo; 10-22-2017 at 06:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by H20loo:
HKMark23 (10-22-2017), Stud Duck (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:31 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

OP~

You did perfectly.

You slowed your speed and relaxed your shoulders/grip. The bike is going to move around underneath you. Let it. Don't try to fight it. I probably might have slowed to the "35ish" speed, but not much slower. (With speed, comes stability.)

Not aware of any "downforce effect" for any Harley. The "batwing" may cause instability or "vagueness" but not aware of any "lift" associated with it.

Riding in high winds is like riding in deep mud. Best to avoid it, if possible.

We have hurricane winds out in our desert sometimes. The CHP shuts down portions of I-8 when this happens. Except for Corvettes/P-cars, F-cars. It stays open for them as they're very low cars and air doesn't get underneath them. Found this out of a run with my old car club.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,980 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Good Lord !! I think I peed a little just looking at the photos !
I get jittery on some heights, even a High 5 exchange in Dallas. Rode Colorado in July at 14,000, off the bucket list, probably won't do again... ha

LXT (10-28-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Stud Duck
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
I have the Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel near me. They have wind restrictions that limit what vehicles can cross depending on the wind speeds. Bad enough they will stop Semi trucks, motorcycles and cars with car top carriers on them from crossing. Does your bridge in Houston have any rules in place about strong winds?
Good question, none that i'am aware of, but that does't seem rite, so i am going to keep looking.

Wow! Landscape doesn't get any flatter than that! I have nothing to prove, and will stay of that bad boy, unless weather checks out.

Originally Posted by H20loo
This!! Rode across on a Wing and that baby was dancing under me. Bought more underwear in PEI.
Only advice for riding in bad situations is- DON'T do it purposely.
LOL, can't blame you there! i usually stay on top of the weather report, this just caught me of guard.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
OP~

You did perfectly.

You slowed your speed and relaxed your shoulders/grip. The bike is going to move around underneath you. Let it. Don't try to fight it. I probably might have slowed to the "35ish" speed, but not much slower. (With speed, comes stability.)

Not aware of any "downforce effect" for any Harley. The "batwing" may cause instability or "vagueness" but not aware of any "lift" associated with it.

Riding in high winds is like riding in deep mud. Best to avoid it, if possible.

We have hurricane winds out in our desert sometimes. The CHP shuts down portions of I-8 when this happens. Except for Corvettes/P-cars, F-cars. It stays open for them as they're very low cars and air doesn't get underneath them. Found this out of a run with my old car club.
Thanks for the advice, I agree about the bat wing, it doesn't cause "lift", or none that i'am aware of.

Originally Posted by CrBear
Good Lord !! I think I peed a little just looking at the photos !
I get jittery on some heights, even a High 5 exchange in Dallas. Rode Colorado in July at 14,000, off the bucket list, probably won't do again... ha
Yea, that pic of the Confederation Bridge, is killer!

Last edited by Stud Duck; 10-22-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Stud Duck
Thanks for the advice, I agree about the bat wing, it doesn't cause "lift", or none that i'am aware of.
the batwing itself may not cause any lift, but with the wind hitting that big *** barn door, you are going to feel it in your handlebars. relaxing your grip was absolutely the right thing to do. trying to strong arm it would make it feel much worse.

Stud Duck (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Slowmo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride across the Fred Hartman Bridge to Baytown for work and there are days it moves me across lanes. When I know its going to be bad I get as far over as I can for the direction the wind is going to be coming from and lean into it, and make sure there isn't a car in the next lane. I've gone as slow as 30 over it on really bad days. Sounds like you did everything right, it's just scary to get moved around that much.

Bridge is roughly the same height over the water but much less steep and far longer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High bridge in high wind!!!