General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is premium gas worth it?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
I am in the 1% then. I foolishly fill up with premium, ignoring the extra $0.20/gallon our E0 premium costs, and I ALSO purchase a coffee at the SAME TIME? Not just any coffee, either, but the large. Can you believe I have all this money to waste? I then proceed to check my oil wiping the dipstick with at least a $1 bill, and then toss it in the garbage when done.
WTF, why would you throw away a perfectly good dipstick. you do have money to burn.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
WTF, why would you throw away a perfectly good dipstick. you do have money to burn.
well done.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

My engine knocks like a sonofabitch if I don't use 91 octane. But then, I live where it's a little hotter than Canada, too.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Anybody seen my TV remote??????????

Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

At 6 gallons, the difference between the two prices is negligible. I'll stick with premium.

GM

Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 AM
Honeyglider
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Calling in from England, my addition to this interesting thread is largely irrelevant to the fabric of your posts and I apologise for that.
This summer a friend and I were chatting with a retired petroleum engineer at our shooting club. The conversation followed exactly the lines of this thread; supermarket low price fuel, what quantifies quality, major branded fuels etc.
My friend pointed out that in his opinion, at the fuel depot all the tankers delivering to the various petrol station forecourts filled from the same spigot. At that the engineer (retired) floored me by stating "well of course they do, it's the additive that they tip in that differentiates".

Given that my post is clearly representative only of England, could it be that in conversations regarding low and high octane, premium fuel against regular, it may be an issue of not just resistance to detonation but the quality and quantity of additives that serve to clean and protect the upper cylinder as well?

The following users liked this post:
nobodyknowsme (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 06:30 AM
nobodyknowsme
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,650 Likes on 6,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Honeyglider
Calling in from England, my addition to this interesting thread is largely irrelevant to the fabric of your posts and I apologise for that.
This summer a friend and I were chatting with a retired petroleum engineer at our shooting club. The conversation followed exactly the lines of this thread; supermarket low price fuel, what quantifies quality, major branded fuels etc.
My friend pointed out that in his opinion, at the fuel depot all the tankers delivering to the various petrol station forecourts filled from the same spigot. At that the engineer (retired) floored me by stating "well of course they do, it's the additive that they tip in that differentiates".

Given that my post is clearly representative only of England, could it be that in conversations regarding low and high octane, premium fuel against regular, it may be an issue of not just resistance to detonation but the quality and quantity of additives that serve to clean and protect the upper cylinder as well?
Pretty much the same here in the US. Thanks though for taking the time to type it all up. I am too lazy and don't type very well.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
At 6 gallons, the difference between the two prices is negligible. I'll stick with premium.

GM
Agreed, we have a winner.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
I am in the 1% then. I foolishly fill up with premium, ignoring the extra $0.20/gallon our E0 premium costs, and I ALSO purchase a coffee at the SAME TIME? Not just any coffee, either, but the large. Can you believe I have all this money to waste? I then proceed to check my oil wiping the dipstick with at least a $1 bill, and then toss it in the garbage when done.
You check your oil? I just change mine every time I gas up.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Long story short... I use the recommended fuel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is premium gas worth it?