General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something This Forum Needs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Something This Forum Needs

With the thousands of riders that visit Harley Davidson Forum The thing I see lacking is an accident forum. I wish this on know one but it happens. Some Insight into how to handle being in an accident should be just as important to the community as doing a top end overhaul.

On October 17 I was rear ended by a 21 year old girl diving Honda. I was a low speed collision in rush hour traffic. I was hit with enough force to be thrown from the bike and landed in the middle of the highway. I'm still getting checked out by various doctors just to be on the safe side to insure there is no permanent damage. I'm 60 years old and already have a bad back but since the accident the pain in my back feels a little higher than it was.

When I was hit I was clutch in and on the brakes somewhere around 10 to 15 mph. once I was hit the bike ended up 20 to 25 feet away from me. I laid in the middle of the road for 10 to 15 min waiting on Emergency Service to show up. I was very lucky to have 2 female drivers block traffic with there cars and attend to me while I was in the middle of the road. One of them was a LVN. Being retired Military I've had enough medical training to know the situation I was in the best thing to do was nothing. Don't move be still and await medical assistance. The two Lady's did well keeping me calm and stationary. Yes, I was wearing a helmet and leathers.

All in all I had no major injury's, I still have a couple of Doctors appointments and a full back scan to go through.

Now the reason why I think we need an accident forum, My bike is sitting at my local Harley Dealer since the accident. First evaluation says around $15k worth of damage and waiting to see what there insurance companies are going to do.

I know the first thing everyone is going to say. Get a Lawyer!

That's why we need a forum, to help people to be able to get a idea of what there up against in a situation like this.

Everyone complains about HD Dealerships being Stealer ships. As far I'm concerned they can't hold a candle to a Lawyer!

The bike below no longer looks like This!

The following users liked this post:
beanoboy (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

I'd hate to say it but you're right. Not that I'm disagreeing with you. But people don't pay attention and it would help others to know what signs to look for.
Like the wreck I saw today, I was turning left on a green light both ways today and an suv was coming towards me. A little Honda civic turned right behind me, now there was a hundred yards between me and the suv when I turned and much less when the Honda turned as I was watching in my rear view mirror. Then anotber car turned into the suv causing it to go airborne,and ripping the front end off the other car... Young girl most likely on the phone hit and older gentlemen, tried to say he ran the light.
What I learned was my next vehicle will be a range rover, as it did not flip! Where as my tribute would have rolled many times...
And continue to do what I do now on my bike head on a swivel at all intersections!

Glad you are OK Texas...

Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Damn ! i thought you were going to say Naked women !

Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
With the thousands of riders that visit Harley Davidson Forum The thing I see lacking is an accident forum
I kinda get where your coming from, but "accident" posts come-up often enough.
And in those posts are plenty of folks offering condolences and advise.
Anyone that's done a fair amount of riding has been there or seen it, many times more then once.

I wound not want to see a section devoted to accidents and mishaps,, the world is full of enough bad news.
Two of the 5 funerals I attended in 2016 where motorcycle related.

It's a good thing to share, and a bike forum is a good place to seek after an accident,, but it's all working just fine as it is.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,156 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Fifteen thousand dollars in damage?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:37 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm Really not Talking about an Accident Forum Section.

I'm Talking about a Legal Forum Section.

I have rode bikes since was 12. I've had more bikes than I have had cars. 48 years of riding motorcycles and this is my first accident involving another vehicle.

I would be very helpful to have a place to go to find out what to do and how to proceed with dealing with insurance companies and if need be Lawyers after the accident.

There got to be hundred's of do's and don't.

Yes, the repair estimate on my bike was $14,800.00. Every painted surface on the bike was damaged. Handle bars controls.I have not seen the estimate yet, I will pick up a copy Saturday. I,m very surprised it not totaled. It may have something to do with the bike having 9K in accessories on it.

Don't every sit down and add up what you have put on a bike in accessories, you'll scare yourself.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Wonder how such a forum would be received by those who host this place- implying that there is some legal recourse could possibly impact those who own this turf. Or possibly not, just thinking.......

Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good idea...

Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,156 Likes on 6,216 Posts

You need to post pictures. That’s a lot of damage. I honestly thought you had mistyped and meant fifteen hundred.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I'm Really not Talking about an Accident Forum Section.

I'm Talking about a Legal Forum Section.

I have rode bikes since was 12. I've had more bikes than I have had cars. 48 years of riding motorcycles and this is my first accident involving another vehicle.

I would be very helpful to have a place to go to find out what to do and how to proceed with dealing with insurance companies and if need be Lawyers after the accident.

There got to be hundred's of do's and don't.

Yes, the repair estimate on my bike was $14,800.00. Every painted surface on the bike was damaged. Handle bars controls.I have not seen the estimate yet, I will pick up a copy Saturday. I,m very surprised it not totaled. It may have something to do with the bike having 9K in accessories on it.

Don't every sit down and add up what you have put on a bike in accessories, you'll scare yourself.
Yeah, just what we need. A forum of internet "experts" dispensing legal advice. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, this may be one of those times where advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 11-07-2017 at 03:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
0maha (11-08-2017), CrBear (11-08-2017), Qdog002 (11-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Something This Forum Needs