General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD lost a sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Back to the TITLE. I really doubt they lost a sale. Perhaps in that moment, but I'm sure that bike has moved or will shortly. What they avoided was taking a trade with no margin. They are in business to make money.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Jim Griggs
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Back to the TITLE. I really doubt they lost a sale. Perhaps in that moment, but I'm sure that bike has moved or will shortly. What they avoided was taking a trade with no margin. They are in business to make money.
Oh no, they lost a sale. No two ways about it.
Yes the HD the op might have bought will sell, but as you said it was going to anyway. It isn't about that unit, that VIN number. It's about quarterly units sold. And they are one less now. That HD should have sold earlier, a new unit ordered in from the Moco, and that one sold to the guy that bought the one the op didn't. 2 vs 1. And the trade? It would have sold too. Instead the sale went to the competition. Yes sir, with due respect, they lost a sale. And that's without even projecting the odds that the guy that might have bought the victory might come back in 5 years and buy a Softail.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:16 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Griggs
Oh no, they lost a sale. No two ways about it.
Yes the HD the op might have bought will sell, but as you said it was going to anyway. It isn't about that unit, that VIN number. It's about quarterly units sold. And they are one less now. That HD should have sold earlier, a new unit ordered in from the Moco, and that one sold to the guy that bought the one the op didn't. 2 vs 1. And the trade? It would have sold too. Instead the sale went to the competition. Yes sir, with due respect, they lost a sale. And that's without even projecting the odds that the guy that might have bought the victory might come back in 5 years and buy a Softail.

You are correct, and well put. They did lose a sale. Most of the dealers around here will take any motorcycle in on trade, it might not be what you what, but they will take it.
Jonnierock

Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

We love to argue apples and oranges. My dealer will and yours won't. Fact is, dealerships are not the same. Some are small, some are huge franchises, some own not only multiple Harley dealerships, but other brands as well.

If my local dealer feels it cannot sell a motorcycle whose company has gone out of business, why does that bother you. Some dealers get no other brand traffic. Some get all kinds of walk-ins. They have to make their business model work for them, not you.

My local dealer has an agreement with the local Kawasaki Yamaha M/V dealer, the nearest former Polaris dealer is an hour away. It is unlikely that a potential Victory customer will ever show their face there and if they did, would they loose a sale for a H-D because they had to low ball the Victory to get rid of it. Why does everyone look at this one way. Having a Victory on the floor for 1/4 the price of a Harley might steal a sale. Better to have the Indian dealership which may have sold Victory's try to unload it.

So many like to lump every dealer into one category. The Harley Corporate I hate you basket. Life is not like that, but internet tough guys continue to try and make them all the same evil bastards they love to hate.

Either way, I am happy that this third party buyer ended up with an Indian. Sounds like the kind of choice he made earlier to buy a Victory. We have to figure he will be much happier with the love he gets from Polaris. As for the OP, he shared only part of the story. This makes for speculation and that is what keeps this thread alive. What if, how could they, what a looser Harley dealer, look how H-D is throwing away sales, no wonder they are going broke. Welcome to the thread of the absurd.

I often wonder how people living in their parents basement see the world. Perhaps this is it.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
hd4evr2008 (11-21-2017), roadkinglobo (11-24-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

The local dealer here advertises that they will take anything on trade that they don't have to feed. Pitty, because I was ready to trade in my neighbor's cat that keeps shitting in my wife's flower beds.

Several years ago when I had my first big-boy V-twin, a decked out Victory Vegas, I attempted to trade it in on a fat bob at this same dealership. Victory was still going strong(ish), the price I was offered was an insult...2k...claiming they would have to sell it to the local Victory dealer. Rather than take that offer, I went to the Victory dealer myself and traded in on a Highball. The Victory dealer offered 7k. That really shouldn't come as a surprise as it's their brand and all.

When I bought my HD, I didn't even bother trying to trade the Victory in. Instead, I kept it. If one bike is good, two are better.

I'm not sure where I was going with this. Does anyone want a free cat?

Last edited by PPearl; 11-22-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,002 Likes on 396 Posts

My previous bike was a Victory CCT. I really loved and enjoyed that bike. Took many, many
long trips with it. Had zero issues with it.

But, then I heard Polaris was pulling the plug. I could see the writing on the wall, and traded it
off soon after I heard the news. I'm VERY glad I did!!

I traded it for a '17 Ultra Limited. My HD dealer took it in trade and gave me a great trade-in
value. It sat on their lot for about 3 months, but it did sell.

I'm very grateful I made the switch when I did. Got top dollar for trade, ended up with
a WONDERFUL FLHTK, the dealer sold my CCT (at a profit), everyone is happy.

I realize this is the exception, not the rule.

I think Victory had a good run, and if Polaris hadn't abandoned them long before discontinuing
them they'd still be a commercial success. The great thing about Victory was that it was created
from the ground up -- not a recycled brand. Taking that into account I think Victory did very
well.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Harley-Indian
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Dealer is there to make Money
I am here to save as much as I can.
Don’t like the deal,move on.

When bought my WG the dealer brought me the paperwork and I laughed. I told them if this is the best you can do your wasting both our time. They came back with a much better offer. Just pisses me off they didn’t do it the first time.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:23 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Indian
Dealer is there to make Money
I am here to save as much as I can.
Don’t like the deal,move on.

When bought my WG the dealer brought me the paperwork and I laughed. I told them if this is the best you can do your wasting both our time. They came back with a much better offer. Just pisses me off they didn’t do it the first time.
Refer back to the first line you wrote.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Harley-Indian
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I said they were there to make money. Not screw people but they do that also.

Last edited by Harley-Indian; 11-23-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:27 AM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Indian
I said they were there to make money. Not screw people but they do that also.
Isn't that the same thing?

Quick Reply: HD lost a sale