General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bluetooth Device is best for Music. Im done with Earbuds

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Just purchased a Sena 20s Evo strictly for being able to pick up calls on the way home from the shop and for intercom ability when riding with friends. Haven't listened to music yet as I am not really interested in that ability. I haven't figured out yet how to make anything work other than paring it to my iphone, which I still struggle with as well. I don't fit into the tech world very easily. I am still waiting on the internet to catch on.

Normally I could care less about talking on phone while riding. Sometimes its an emergency. I can't even pick up a call on the iphone wearing gloves with the phone requiring my fingerprint. Now, I just tap the button on the Sena, pick up the call and pull over without having to take off the gloves and helmet.

Last edited by Cbyway; 11-14-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Jamo11
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have and I've used Bluetooth from helmet speakers and from the dash. Helmet speakers sound tinny and you still get wind noise because you can't use ear plugs. . Dash speakers do not overcome wind noise well.

The ear buds work best. I use Mack's Wax Ear Plugs to hold them in and isolate the external sounds. That works great.

Last edited by Jamo11; 11-15-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:06 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

about two years ago I did a lot of research into this as I was looking for the exact set up you are looking for. I ended up with the UClear HBC200 and love them. This being said every company as updated there line since then and you will need to do more research to see if they are still the best.

The following web site has a ton of reviews on all or most of the options out there, also I see there a couple more choices since I did my research. You can spend hours reading all there reviews.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...200/review.htm

Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is another option, replacement speakers from Tork XPro X2

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tork-speaker-review/

Old 11-18-2017, 03:28 AM
yamamatt65
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

OP, I had the same problem and spent some time figuring out my options. There are 2 issues that you will always run into: 1) Bluetooth systems that attach to your helmet will NEVER sound as good as quality earbuds because the earbuds don't have to fight the wind and engine noise like the external speakers do, and 2) Bluetooth earbuds typically have extra bulk on the sides that cause extreme discomfort under a helmet, and they have buttons on the outside of them that are always getting pressed while wearing the helmet. In order to get the results you want, you need something that sits recessed in your ear so that your helmet doesn't press against them. I went through several different sets until I gave up and bought a pair of Shure SE215s. I have to deal with the cord, but I just run it from my phone inside my jacket right out the top. The superior sound quality outweighs the hassle of the cord. If you find wireless earbuds without the bulk and buttons on the side let me know.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:47 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I've been following this thread looking for some helmet speakers. I like the idea of the simple ear buds, but my iPhone 7 has no plugin for a jack, it's Bluetooth only.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon
I've been following this thread looking for some helmet speakers. I like the idea of the simple ear buds, but my iPhone 7 has no plugin for a jack, it's Bluetooth only.
a small bluetooth receiver with 3.5 mm plug will work fine (about $15) and last 10 hours +- and is rechargeable (M POW)

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
rideon (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:01 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Now, it's gonna be 80F on Thxgvg day, so go ride yer bike!

Old 11-18-2017, 11:51 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I have a Sena 20 that sounds good. Not great, but good, since the unit itself is great but the speakers are only good (it's all relative). I bought 2 of these a while ago from J&M and I plan on substituting these ear speakers for the stock ones one of these days. I am told they are the best available for this application:

https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail...=HSCP-LDC45-HI
I bet these JM corded systems do sound the best, but the cord can be detriment to some. Bluetooth streaming is generally a low quality because of the limited bit rate and high compression of the data. There are fairly high quality BT capable devices but not sure they have made it to the motorcycle headset market yet.

Last edited by HenryT; 11-18-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I use a Sena 20S and have a half helmet. It was a bit of work to bury the wires around the back of the helmet but the speakers are attached to the helmet ear flaps with velcro so I can adjust them close enough to my ears. Music is pretty good most of the time but obviously high speeds and windy days reduce the quality. It works well for communication and phone.

Quick Reply: Which Bluetooth Device is best for Music. Im done with Earbuds