General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bluetooth Device is best for Music. Im done with Earbuds

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:43 AM
CORPZMANUP
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Bluetooth Device is best for Music. Im done with Earbuds

Hey Friends... Ive searched everywhere for other people's experiences with the best way they listen to music while riding. What Im looking for is defenitly bluetooth helmet speakers (tired of earbuds falling off while riding). BUT something that offers optimal Bass. Yes, I know the "road sounds" and the music my motor and pipes make will lower the quality. I've visited my local bike shop for opinions. I'm pretty wary of the sales pitching these shops do. So before purchasing I'd like to see what others use. Keep in mind Im strictly looking for something to use for music only. Even if the device has a microphone for communication its perfectly fine but the speakers must be amazing.

I've looked at the Bilt Techno 2.0 and the Bluetooth Nolan helmet and the Sena helmet communication devices. Unfortunetley the store I visited didnt have any for display to try out for sound quality. I'd hate to spend a few hundred bucks on these items if the audio is metocre but ill dish out the cash if its worth it.

What do you guys use? I appreciate your shared experiences. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:42 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I have a Sena 10S and it works good. I do have to resync once in a while because the sound quality is terrible but I can deal with it. Would not call the speakers amazing and honestly I am not sure if you will find any. It was used when I got it and just replaced the unit but have not ridden with it yet

I tried a Scala Rider Qz and hated it. I had it synced to my Garmin GPS and whenever I got a phone call, or whenever I stopped the music, or if I hiccupped I had to resync, very annoying. When it worked the sound quality was ok, but again I would not call it amazing

I never tried either of them with just my phone so the issues I had could be conflicts between Garmin and the unit

As for Bilt, someone has to be making it for them. I'd try to see if you can figure out who before you buy

Old 11-09-2017, 07:46 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

I got an idea.... Turn it all off... Including the cell phone....

Problem solved.

The following 6 users liked this post by T^2:
attaboy15 (11-18-2017), oldbie (04-11-2019), Paintslinger16 (04-10-2019), RandyL (11-09-2017), rjo3491 (11-15-2017), Tony P (11-09-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

I’m very happy with my Sena 10S. I’ve never had any problems with it, and it is such a nice upgrade from the headphones.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 AM
jhsellers
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sena units work well, but volume available from their speakers is dependent upon distance from your ear. They just don't have enough power/volume to blast tunes if your speaker helmet placement ends up with them not close to your ear.

I use my Sena (20S) for intercom with my wife, and this functions pretty well. But, we're behind a windshield, and don't have loud pipes to contend with.

For louder music, I'm considering going to a custom molded ear speaker - get that transducer right in your ear for extra volume. The Sena units have a port for plugging in auxiliary speakers - 1/8 inch stereo jack.

Hope this helps,
John

Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I use, and enthusiastically recommend, the Sena 20S. Much better than the earlier Sena SMH-10, which I used before. I stream from either my iPhone or my Zumo GPS and it works great.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

when you say no more earbuds, have you tried the bluetooth earbuds? Gear IconX or Earpods?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think you're going to find anything with "amazing" speakers that will fit inside of your helmet. Adequate, maybe. They're still going to have to compete with the noise from the road, engine, and wind noise in your helmet.

For best results, a full speaker and amp set up on a touring rig. Even then, they sound best parked.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

If you are looking for quality audio out of a bluetooth helmet speaker system make sure you can try before you buy or get them from a store with a good return policy. They make great communications devices although lack the frequency response for any kind of quality music listening. I haven't tried any newer models but with my Sena SMH10 there is pretty much no bass. They are the last thing I would use for music but they work great for spoken word podcasts and audiobooks.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:04 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You want the best. I stream music from my iPhone via corded Bose noise cancelling ear buds.....MY BUDS ARE KEPT ON BY A BANDANA under my helmet. Nothing moves and best sound.....and they are comfortable as hell....

Probably not the answer you're looking for but the best solution....oh, iPhone is strapped on the gas tank so that it's easy to change music/playlists...

Quick Reply: Which Bluetooth Device is best for Music. Im done with Earbuds