General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage

I keep my Limited Ultra in the foyer of a barn. It's unheated, but out of the weather, and I can get to it easily if we have a dry day over the winter. Since the floor is concrete, I was told once to put cardboard under the tires. Been riding 13 years now, and never knew why until I recently Googled it. Something about concrete eventually cracking the tires. I never had a problem with it by being on cardboard. I'm even considering a couple little carpet pieces for this year. Is this all true? Anybody ever had damaged tires because you didn't put anything underneath them for a few months?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Never heard of that

Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,302 Likes on 5,896 Posts

If that's the case all tires should come wrapped in cardboard because virtually every garage, driveway, shop, street that your tire comes in contact with constantly it's entire life is concrete....

You're fine parking on concrete for the winter. If it makes you feel better park on cardboard...

Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

If it's on the internet it must be true. 😀

The following 2 users liked this post by GregGillette:
critter85 (11-14-2017), IzzoQuazzo (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Put me in the "superstitious" category. I use carpet.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I keep my Limited Ultra in the foyer of a barn. It's unheated, but out of the weather, and I can get to it easily if we have a dry day over the winter. Since the floor is concrete, I was told once to put cardboard under the tires. Been riding 13 years now, and never knew why until I recently Googled it. Something about concrete eventually cracking the tires. I never had a problem with it by being on cardboard. I'm even considering a couple little carpet pieces for this year. Is this all true? Anybody ever had damaged tires because you didn't put anything underneath them for a few months?
Well I must say I have been using a thin piece of plywood or carpet under my tires when I store my bike or cars. After moving my car out of the garage one morning after being parked for a while. The tires felt stuck on the cement and as I gave it more gas they released I could hear and feel it. This happened probably 20 years ago and that’s when I started putting something under the tires.

I have under slab heat in my garage and I keep it about 50-55 degrees over the winter.

Last edited by lmar; 11-12-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Geezr Glidr (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

I'm sure the same person who started this myth also started the "don't leave your battery on concrete" as well.

Store it on whatever you like. No harm done.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Vinman411
Tourer

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

I just got one of those redline stands for mine and foam gym mat pieces for my camaro over the winter so no flat spots for me

Old 11-12-2017, 09:46 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
If that's the case all tires should come wrapped in cardboard because virtually every garage, driveway, shop, street that your tire comes in contact with constantly it's entire life is concrete....

You're fine parking on concrete for the winter. If it makes you feel better park on cardboard...

Been parking bikes and cars on concrete during winter for 20 years.
Never had any issues.

But as mentioned, you won't have any issues putting cardboard down either.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

It’s not cracking but if the tires sit on cold cement without moving they can start to get a flat spot on them. In heated storage it’s not as much of a problem but tires sitting on bare cement for too long without moving is not good for them either way.

I use floor mats from and old car, but cardboard or anything works it’s just a matter of keeping the rubber off of the cold cement

Quick Reply: Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage