General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 AM
GaryInDelta
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ethanol is a ripoff

That said, it's good to see non-ethanol gas now somewhat available in western Colorado.
Second, I've heard that ethanol is not allowed in general aviation gasoline. Is that because engine failures at 10,000 feet are unacceptable even to the swamp? Can anyone confirm that?
Of course that swamp creatures don't give a damn about our engines on the ground.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I found out about the pure gas app over a year ago so once I find the stations locally I usually save them to my zumo or infotainment. I like how it tells you what octane the stations sell. When traveling it isn't really much of a concern as I want to get where I am going. If I have time however I will at least check if there are any in the area of travel. As regularly as I run non e I don't too frazzled if I have to run ethanol for a while.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Law differs state by state as to the requirement of posting ethanol content on pump. My state (Ohio) has no such requirement, which kinda sucks.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I have 5 classic cars, and pretty much gave up on finding puregas anywhere near me.
I've checked the puregas website many times, and could not find anything near me.
Found a place 30 miles from me that sell ethanol free at all
of the pumps with a separate nozzle, for a fair price of $3/gal. at 91 octane.
The listing was just added in sept 17, no wonder I never saw it before.
Sure beats lugging cans to to marina and paying $5 a gal!
SWEET!!
I'm going to take all of my cars there to fill up before storing them for the winter, and
6, 5 gallon cans for my lawn equipment. The carbs on my weedwacker and leaf blower
and chainsaw were all gummed up with that crap!
I switched to 1 qt cans for a while, but they add up to over $20 a gal.
The weed wacker was getting so bad I had to clean the carb every time i used it!
Thanks guys for posting the purgas site again.
I've been using gas additives in my old cars, but that adds up too.
This is the best news I've had for a long time!!

Last edited by Ragtop; 11-13-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:22 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryInDelta
That said, it's good to see non-ethanol gas now somewhat available in western Colorado.
Second, I've heard that ethanol is not allowed in general aviation gasoline. Is that because engine failures at 10,000 feet are unacceptable even to the swamp? Can anyone confirm that?
Of course that swamp creatures don't give a damn about our engines on the ground.
I'm out of my wheelhouse here. I can drive the planes, but I'm no mechanic.

Avgas doesn't have ethanol, it's 100LL, 100 for the nominal octane, and LL for "low lead". It's low in comparison to what it used to have.

My understanding is that the engines, which are relatively simple and low-tech, are made to run on the fuel. There's been talk for a number of years about changing the fuel, but the FAA is overworked and underfunded, so the pace is glacial.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
In all my riding to different places, I've never seen any station with zero ethanol and they all seem to say "up to 10%". Whether it helps or harms, I don't know.
Like someone has already said, some states require a label advising of the ethanol content, some don't. In the states, if there is no label, you can be sure it has 10% ethanol. Reason? If they're selling non-ethanol, they are going to advertise it! And charge you extra!

To the guy who said "10 or 15%, who cares, just ride". That's just burying your head in the sand. My 06 Ultra is approved for E10, and I ride it enough that gas doesn't sit in it long, so I use E10 premium. No E15 (although I don't think it's coming, too much opposition).

Originally Posted by shanneba
Be thankful you are not in Brazil!

They use 25-27% ethanol in their gas.

I wonder what HD changes in the EFI tune on bikes sold in Brazil.
The answer is the vehicles are designed for it! Even in this country there are vehicles that are rated for up to E85!, although I don't know where you can buy it (California?).

I'm sure Harley engineers the Brazilian bikes to handle lots of ethanol.

Another thing, Brazil uses sugar cane to make their ethanol. Which they have a lot of!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

If E15 gets released it will be marked as such on the pump. My 2016 Toyota Avalon is certified for E15, of course the bike is certified for E10.
Don't know what E15 would do to the bike, I won't be using it regardless. But the bike runs fine on E10 when that's what I fill with. I get E0 usually, but don't notice any difference between E0 and E10.

Brazil produces sugar cane big time, that is why their fuel has so much ethanol in it. It a relatively simple matter of certifying and building the vehicle for the fuel.

There are plenty of vehicles in the US certified for E85, and that fuel is widely available, so seeing Brazil's E25 or E30 isnt' that surprising.

One of the bigger downsides to gas with higher ethanol content is the lower mpg's you get, if I recall, vehicles that run on E85 get about 25% or so less miles per gallon.
Don't know anyone who actually uses that fuel, so I don't know what other downsides it may have.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany

One of the bigger downsides to gas with higher ethanol content is the lower mpg's you get, if I recall, vehicles that run on E85 get about 25% or so less miles per gallon.
Don't know anyone who actually uses that fuel, so I don't know what other downsides it may have.
I wish it was only 25% less. My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan was rated for it and it almost cut my full tank range in half. Plus even though it was rated for it, it ran like crap on E85. This was back when 10% ethanol gas was selling for around $4 a gallon. E85 was less than $2/gal so it barely worked out as an advantage. I would say I used it a handful of times.

I'm sure newer cars are built to use it more efficiently. But to me, you might as well toss 10% water in the gas because it helps combustion about as much as ethanol. It's one of the biggest frauds foisted upon us by the swamp in history.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

For the last time I'm gonna say this. Now pay the **** attention. You want ethanol in a modern engine. Without it you are going to have to go back to pulling your heads off and scraping off the carbon build up which will cause pre detination and **** up your engine. Ethanol burns hotter than gas so you don't get build up. You do not want it in cars and bikes over 40 years old which have not had their rubber and plastic parts updated. You do not want to leave it sitting for over 6 months as it will absorb moisture. You do not want to run ethanol free gas in a modern engine. There is no advantage to it.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
. No E15 (although I don't think it's coming, too much opposition).
These retailers already offer E15 (not at all stations yet)

Sheetz, Kum & Go, Murphy USA, MAPCO Express, Protec Fuel, Minnoco, RaceTrac, Thornton’s and Hy-Vee all offer E15.
It is currently sold at nearly 700 stations in 29 states.

From the EPA-
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e15.html

Vehicles prohibited from using E15:
All motorcycles

All vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses and delivery trucks
All off-road vehicles, such as boats and snowmobiles
All engines in off-road equipment, such as chain saws and gasoline lawn mowers
All conventional vehicles older than model year 2001.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ethanol