General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your riding season wrap up

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Here in New England we do have a riding season; this one started a little late due to lots of cold rain in Apr/May, and ended a week or so ago at temps dropped precipitously. Anyhow, did about 5000 miles in between including Burlington, VT area, western Mass (Berkshires), and very northern Maine. All in all good season, but wish it were a bit longer. Bike, as usual was rock solid....

Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

A really way cool, base guitar dude helped me out with some stock mufflers for my Road King, and brought the joy of riding back to me. Since I got them on I barely have let the engine cool off.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Nate Beck
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like everyone else not long enough! Was out of town for about 2 months over the summer which didn't help either but still managed to put 2,600ish miles down. Had more than a few great rides through the St Croix River Valley from Taylors Falls down to Wabasha switching to the wi side at Hastings/Prescott. Got Biltwell Chumps installed which feel great and did the HD Further Forward Mid Controls which Im also super happy with.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Mostly weekend short day rides during the summer. Lots of family stuff going on most of the time. Daughter and her husband and the kids stayed with us for 6 weeks before leaving for another country to live.
We went on one nice long 6 day ride to and around Arizona in September. Home to Lake Havasu then south and around to Prescott, Jerome, Sedona, Flagstaff, Williams, back to Havasu then home on Sunday. That ride was epic for us, made up for the lack the rest of the year.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I didn't get back into riding until late September when I purchased the 2018 Road King after an 8 year hiatus. Since Sept. 29th I've been fortunate to take a few short trips and to east Texas a couple of times to visit my folks. Mainly just been commuting nearly every day to work. Have close to 4000 miles on the bike in less than two months.

Actually just dropped the bike off this morning at the dealership to have the tuning and dyno completed on the Stage 1 kit I had installed prior to delivery. No one told me the tuning is supposed to be done at the 1000 mile initial service. Here I've been running the full exhaust and intake on stock tuning thinking how nice it ran. I found out after calling the dealer to get the dyno sheet and was told it hadn't been done yet.

I pick it up this afternoon and will hopefully be able to see what slight difference the Stage 1 actually feels like, although not expecting much after reading all the "Don't waste your money on a Stage 1 kit posts I've seen here". I almost told them to go ahead and throw a cam in it today but displayed great restraint. Anyway I may ride over to the Bellville Meat market this afternoon in search of some stuffed pork chops to throw on the grill this weekend.

Last edited by Cbyway; 11-15-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Did the usual this year; lots of day trips, Roar on the Shore in Erie, went to WV for a week and got poured on every single damn day, went for a few day camping trip through central PA, left a few good burnouts. Nothing too exciting I guess.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I think you missed the OPs question.
He asked what I did this season. That's what I did. Ride, cover, ride, cover.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking 2017 has been the best year ever...

Like many here, I get to ride year round {southern Arizona, my sincere sympathies to those who have to get off for the winter} but had many highlights... The 1,100-mile round trip to San Diego last April for the Advanced Rider Skills Course was an awesome adventure that paid new skills dividends and continues to do so every time I ride.... Take a class guys, they will make you better.

Got my first Iron Butt done last month, 1,071 miles in 18.5 hours, definitely a monster ride for this old guy{I'll be 66 in this month}.

I am indeed fortunate that my bride {of 47+ years}, loves to ride almost as much as I do and we have towed the Dyna {Kendon single trailer}, behind our 24' Class C over 8,000 miles while riding 12,000+ miles just this calendar year. Did 12 days in Utah riding the National Parks: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and even did "The 12" out of Torrey all the way to Bryce Canyon and back.

Got in two, 2 week trips to the southern Rockies of Colorado and northern New Mexico. Day riding out of Pagosa Springs up and over Wolfcreek Pass to Creed, Durango etc. Rode the Enchanted Circle out of Angel Fire through Red River, Questa and Taos once again.

Half a dozen trips to the White Mountains and Mogollon Rim with the Devils Highway {old 666 now 191}, on the New Mexico border which is ranked by many as the number one bike road in the country, yeah I know... opinions vary, being another serious highlight.

Spent time camping and day riding out of Cottonwood {Sedona, Jerome, Camp Verde}; Flagstaff {Snowbowl, Williams/Grand Canyon, even got out to Meteor Crater... what a hoot}. Did Laughlin last January with side trips to Quartzsite, Oatman and Vegas {Brrrr 32 degrees with 35 - 50 mph winds}.

Local rides about 4 days a week will continue to fill out the rest of the year. should have about 14 - 15,000 mile by the end of December and then it will be time to reset the calendar and do it all again.

Works for me.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,074 Likes on 450 Posts

I did quite a bit of riding (for me) this year. This is my second year with the Road King, only my fourth year riding motorcycles. I did a few minor mods to the bike for comfort (new highway pegs, heat deflectors, rider backrest) and have it pretty much where I can ride all day with no issues.

I took three multiple day road trips. The first was 10 days this spring from Oklahoma to Moab, Utah, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, back through Colorado Springs. I posted a thread with pics over in the road trips section.

The other two were to the Northern Virginia area. The first one I hit the Tail of the Dragon, Skyline Drive, and some of the upper Blue Ridge Parkway. The second was this fall and I went through West Virginia on the way out (New River Gorge Bridge), then some of the lower Blue Ridge Parkway and Smokey Mountain NP on the way back.

Blue Ridge Parkway last week

I rode to Jefferson City to see the total eclipse - very cool. Lots of half day to day trips around NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas.

I will ride year round as long it is not icy, but am done for this year as far as any longer trips.

Last edited by cowboydoc; 11-15-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,142 Likes on 5,592 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
He asked what I did this season. That's what I did. Ride, cover, ride, cover.
Now I see. I thought you were giving him a "winter storage" routine.

Quick Reply: Your riding season wrap up