General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

International Motorcycle Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Blackacre
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default International Motorcycle Show

I have never been to a large motorcycle show like the EICMA or IMS... does Harley ever bring concepts to the IMS?

Would love to see them drop a bomb on Long Beach this weekend.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Last January I got to sit and "ride" Harley's LiveWire demo at the Dallas IMS. Already purchased a discount ticket for next January Dallas show.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,054 Likes on 11,067 Posts

They used to be at the San Mateo County fairgrounds but I am pretty sure IMS has NorCal on ignore now. Screw 'em.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

If you purchase your tickets online, use the Americader discount code "AMER18" to save $3.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
They used to be at the San Mateo County fairgrounds but I am pretty sure IMS has NorCal on ignore now. Screw 'em.
IMS tried for years to get folks to come to the show, but every year attendance dwindled. Then they tried Sacramento, but that didn't work, either. The Norcal demographic just doesn't support a large show like this.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
IMS tried for years to get folks to come to the show, but every year attendance dwindled. Then they tried Sacramento, but that didn't work, either. The Norcal demographic just doesn't support a large show like this.
IIRC, the San Mateo County fairgrounds and horse racing track was torn down so that venue is gone.
It's hard to imagine a limited motorcycle riding demographic in a good weather state with 40 million people. IMS was always crowded when I was there.
I'm not going to Long Beach.

Last edited by upflying; 11-17-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
IIRC, the San Mateo County fairgrounds and horse racing track was torn down so that venue is gone.
It's hard to imagine a limited motorcycle riding demographic in a good weather state with 40 million people. IMS was always crowded when I was there.
I'm not going to Long Beach.
The San Mateo Event Center is still there.

https://www.smcec.co/facilities/

I watched the crowds really dwindle over the years there. The exhibitors went from four buildings down to three down to two. Yes, Calimexakommiefornia has good weather and a whole lot of folks, but let's just say the demographics has changed (and I'll leave at that), at least in Norcal.

Last edited by harley_jeff; 11-17-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:37 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
The San Mateo Event Center is still there.

https://www.smcec.co/facilities/

I watched the crowds really dwindle over the years there. The exhibitors went from four buildings down to three down to two. Yes, Calimexakommiefornia has good weather and a whole lot of folks, but let's just say the demographics has changed (and I'll leave at that), at least in Norcal.
Now that I think about it, the last time I saw a IMS show there it was during the height of the recession. No one buys motorcycles when the economy is bad and people are out of work. Harley showrooms were filled with repo's.
That's probably when IMS left Northern California.
The economy in the SF Bay Area is good now, hopefully they return.
Then again, who can afford a motorcycle when a place to live in the Bay Area is a million bucks?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,817 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I went to one at the Javitts Center in NYC. Lots of custom bikes, factory rides, vendors and a small beer-bar every 25-yards. (Hic) Of what I remember, it was worth it.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:30 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackacre
I have never been to a large motorcycle show like the EICMA or IMS... does Harley ever bring concepts to the IMS?

Would love to see them drop a bomb on Long Beach this weekend.
From my experience in going to these this is not where they reveal new models or concepts. There will be the bikes you can buy currently to check out and talk to reps. There is usually some custom and nostalgia bikes on display also. A decent amount of product vendors as well.

Quick Reply: International Motorcycle Show