General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 FLHP Police & '99 XSTB Night Train

Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 PM
tokie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XSTB Night Train & FLHP Police

I've got an option to buy two HD's. One is a '97 FLHP Police bike and the other is a '99 XSTB Night Train. Surprisingly I'm having trouble finding useful info about them such as is the Evo motor a good motor, does either have fuel injection, are they desireable bikes or just average desireability, typical problems, pro's and cons, etc. I came upon them by accident and was late in the day today and couldn't see well into their engine areas (also on a trailer). Older owner has passed and family is just getting rid of them.

Both are visually well maintained with "some" minor customizing and both have aftermarket pipes and the Police bike has some motor mods (factory or aftermarket, not sure). Both start and run smoothly. Price for both is $9k which I feel is good for nearly any two Harleys, but I don't know if it's a great buy or just a decent buy. I know more info would help responses but whatever you can provide about the bikes would be appreciated.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

the evo motor is rock solid...if maintained it will run a long time. I think most guys in here will say go with the carb models if you can....the early efi can be a challenge sometimes. the 97 touring models may all be efi. the 97 is a good year for touring bikes...they can use the seats an a few other things up to 07.

as far as price goes.....nice evo's can be bought for 5 grand all day long an some go for less (at least around here). since you live where there's year round riding prices might be higher in your area. I'd guess $9K is fair for both, not a smokin deal but not bad either.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:24 AM
tokie
4th Gear

Thanks for that input langwilliams. It helps a lot.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Evo engined bikes are generally bullet proof, said by some to be the best engine Harleys ever made. Don't know about the police bike, but Nightrains were and are still a popular bike, lve had one for 12 years though mine is a Twin Camm motor. Evo Nightrains are pretty rare as well as they were only made for a year as I recall. Couldn't help you with the price as I live in the UK, but they seem pretty cheap to me. What's the mileage ?

Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

if you meant that both bikes included can be had for $9k? Buy'em both!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Two totally different animals.

Forget the Evo part for now. You can find great info on how great a motor it is easy enough.

Your comparing a softail with a touring bike. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on you. You're size, style of riding and a ton of other things.

Either can be converted (even a little) to the other style

Example: I've seen night trains with bags and fairings for touring...doesn't make it as comfortable as a touring bike but gives the bike some touring abilities.

Example: The FLH can be dropped low and look "sportier" "faster" but it's still a bigger bulkier bike.

I love them both but which ONE you buy or ride is up to what you want to do with it
Both will and can be made to faster and handle the way you want.

You want to cruise the scenery with you wife in comfort = FLH
You want to bar hop or ride in the wind with just A few essentials go softail...

You can't loose with either

Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
the 97 touring models may all be efi.
Not true...........

Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,110 Likes on 6,201 Posts

If the price is $9,000 for both, but them.

$9,000 for just one or the other is about fifty percent too much unless you are in Canada or some place.

They might be carbureted or fuel injected. Carbureted is preferred for that era.

The Evolution engine is arguably the best engine they ever produced, especially ones from the 90’s.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM
tokie
4th Gear

Thank you for the reply. Is the twin cam motor a different motor from the Evo? Newer, older, bigger, smaller (cc)?
I've grown up racing and riding all kinds of bikes and cars but have never owned a Harley. Always wanted one and can't say why I've never bought one yet (I'm 58 now). Somewhat ashamed as too how little I know about them.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,472 Likes on 2,475 Posts

That is a great price, & if they are good running, I would jump on that deal.
If you have a friend that knows Harleys, take him with you to check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 FLHP Police & '99 XSTB Night Train