General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Tools. ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

So we buy these expensive toys and absolutely no tool set even though HD has a nice one for sale...WOW...talking about squeezing the nuts.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Check EBay. I bought a Harley Kit in the roll kit with all tools for $25 if I remember correctly a couple months ago. I was only looking for the roll pouch at the time.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Only tool needed

Yep for all new bikes all that needed is a cell phone cause if it's not out of gas not much can do. My bikes carry the necessary stuff plugs wrenches drivers asst. and extra light bulbs Ride Safe all

Attached Thumbnails Bike Tools. ???-image.jpeg  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane 68
Yep for all new bikes all that needed is a cell phone cause if it's not out of gas not much can do. My bikes carry the necessary stuff plugs wrenches drivers asst. and extra light bulbs Ride Safe all
Great point, seems like the tools I carry have always been used more by other broke down riders without tools than myself!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The 2010 Ultra Classic came with a tool kit. Road Glides came with kits. The three CVO Touring (11, 12 and 16) came with tool kits. The 80 FLT Tour Glide came with a very comprehensive tool kit. Softails, Dynas and Sportsters no except to the two listed exceptions.

The 16 Roadster came with a tool to adjust the rear suspension as did the 16 LRS. Never used any as I have acquired all the needed tools over the last 61 years that I would ever need. One drawer in the toolbox has them all in their original tool roll or pouch that they came in. The last touring models had the Cruze multi tool thingy.

Again the 80 FLT zippered pouch in a fitted area in the right saddlebag held in with velcro had whatever one would need including a chain breaker.

I had been thinking of taking a picture of it to show what H-D used to do.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-19-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:22 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Pretty much identifies those who have been around. Those leather bags on fork or sissy bars are called TOOL POUCHES for a reason. While I've never needed them for myself, they've gotten others down the road. I'll always have some with me. Yes I have Mini Jumpers too.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

It seems to me the '98 RK I had came with a set of tools and I may still have the set. The bike was totaled. Anyway, I do have several sets and the one included with my 2010 SG.

When I was a member of HOG and LOH, I found it funny no one carried tools with them. We were on a run, some 25 members, and one bike broke down. Come to find out it was a lose battery terminal connection where all that was needed was a Phillips Screwdriver. So they're asking if someone had one and I happened to have one in my saddlebags along with an assortment of tools I thought I might need. I had the Harley tool kit in my glove box (hard lowers) and never even thought about it at the time. (I also keep an assortment of fuses along with a tubeless tire repair kit in it)

I've carried some kind of tools for about as long as I have been riding, and they have saved my skin on quite a few occasions.

If any of y'all don't have one, I would suggest putting one together or purchase one either online or at one of the stealerships.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

In early February 2010 the motor company made a running change and instead to giving you a "toolkit", replaced it with a "multitool".

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...e-folding-tool

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
M1274 tool kit change.pdf (85.1 KB, 48 views)
The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
In early February 2010 the motor company made a running change and instead to giving you a "toolkit", replaced it with a "multitool".
Probably looked around a Dealership parking lot and realized most wouldn't know what to do with them anyway. We'll let them buy a HOG membership and tow them into the service dept, instead.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The 2010 Ultra Classic came with a tool kit. Road Glides came with kits. The three CVO Touring (11, 12 and 16) came with tool kits. The 80 FLT Tour Glide came with a very comprehensive tool kit. Softails, Dynas and Sportsters no except to the two listed exceptions.

The 16 Roadster came with a tool to adjust the rear suspension as did the 16 LRS. Never used any as I have acquired all the needed tools over the last 61 years that I would ever need. One drawer in the toolbox has them all in their original tool roll or pouch that they came in. The last touring models had the Cruze multi tool thingy.

Again the 80 FLT zippered pouch in a fitted area in the right saddlebag held in with velcro had whatever one would need including a chain breaker.

I had been thinking of taking a picture of it to show what H-D used to do.
I have a 2010 Ultra Classic (bought new) and it did not come with a tool kit......

Quick Reply: Bike Tools. ???