General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, I'm BROKE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Let's cut to the chase...

The OP comes on the Harley forum to tell everyone that 'I make this and have all this stuff but I'm broke'. Whatever.

He ain't changing. Save your breath.

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

The OP comes on the Harley forum to tell everyone that 'I make this and have all this stuff but I'm broke'. Whatever.

Exactly, Ramsey calls that "stuffitis"

Old 11-21-2017, 09:05 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

Based on what I'm seeing, he won't have a choice. He's sinking fast. Somethings gotta give.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,905 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Based on what I'm seeing, he won't have a choice. He's sinking fast. Somethings gotta give.
Yep the bottoms a stone cold bitch when you bounce off it.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm approaching retirement next year. I spend money like there's no tomorrow. I know how to successfully blow an inheritance. With all that stupidity going for me, I pay my bills on time. I use my credit card almost exclusively and pay it as I go for zero balance. Thus, my last credit rating was 823 (okay, I'm bragging). My mortgage is low and my car and bike are paid for. My divorce left me the house, but cleaned out my 401k (she earned it). I see self- discipline ahead. Fortunately, I have a pension, and along with SS, I should be okay. I will probably work part-time in retirement to earn some pocket change. That, and the fact I will too young at 62 to rid myself of the world. I have already reduced my cable and internet bill, yet, there's more to be had there. I think my biggest savings will come from eating at home. I'm a bit fearful to see what I spend on that. Good thing I quit drinking years ago or that would wasted money as well. Again, stupid me.

After some retrospect, I do feel for the OP. When your married it takers two to tango. I wish him the best of luck moving forward.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
I think my biggest savings will come from eating at home. I'm a bit fearful to see what I spend on that.
You'll probably add tens years to your life as well. A steady diet of restaurant food will kill you.

Tony P (11-23-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Well I know a little of where he's coming from, however their are choices.
Whatever the income, vocation or location, you will see some that flourish (or appear to) and those who sink.
#1 Don't keep up with the Jones's - you don't know if the inherited money, someone is helping or if they are going under.
#2 You can't always get what you want. (Could be a song).
#3 HD forum is good for tech advice and general BS, or even ask the experiences of others.
#4 If you are serious, there are professional planners, sounds like you won't like that.
#5 The qualifier "without selling anything" pretty much sums up your position.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Yep the bottoms a stone cold bitch when you bounce off it.
Yup. Learning the hard way is generally a good teacher.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Lots of responses here, as there tends to be when this subject pops up from time to time. I didn't read all of them, so forgive any redundancy...

Typically, when finance is the topic here, I look for 0maha's response as I tend to share the same points of view. And this case is no different.

You asked for some advice, so here's my 2 cents...which just might help in your current situation ;-). As a few others have suggested, you MUST live within your means. Start that spreadsheet. There's the old fashioned way - pencil and paper, or there are a myriad of programs and/or apps, (that are free) where you can track your spending to pinpoint where the bleeders are. Find 'em and figure out how to stop the bleeding, or at least slow it down. You make really good dough...that's the good news, so you have a great jumping off point.

You also asked what others do, so here's my deal...Several years ago, I was concerned about how much I was spending. It wasn't crazy, and I haven't carried a credit card balance in over 30 years, but I wanted to be more responsible than I was being, so I decided to alter my lifestyle and live as though I was earning 60% of what I actually was. It was a bit jarring at first, but I got used to it, realized I could live perfectly well with less and I've lived that way ever since. The first "payment" that I make every month is to my future self...it gets done NO MATTER WHAT. That leaves me with a conservative amount for fun stuff - eating out, flowers for the wife, stuff for the bike, etc, and with any leftover, I've started a fund for the next bike, should I ever want one.

My mother-in-law is currently going thru some health issues and insurance being what it is, someone is going to have to cough up some dough to pay for all of the care that she will be needing. Well, that "someone" is my wife and I, and that's fine...that's what family does. I'm damn glad I made that lifestyle choice those several years ago and if the "future bike fund" takes a hit in order to care for a loved one, so be it...it's all about priorities. Make financial well-being your top priority, figure out where you can cut and put that money away for the inevitable rainy day. It adds up quickly. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:04 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Jesus dirtbiking Christ. OP, are you kidding?!? Well, first, thanks for coming back and sharing some details. That's a start.

And, as has been mentioned, I'm assuming your total credit card bills are not zero, so you left some really important things out. And, you mentioned that there is something else that you don't want to talk about. I can safely assume it involves paying money, yes? So that's another issue.

I'll keep it simple: You're on your way to bankruptcy. Change some things now, or suffer the consequences.

Your wife's truck and your bike payments, including insurance, are more than your house payment. What the actual F. Get rid of them both. NOW. NOW. THOSE TWO PAYMENTS ARE KILLING YOU. Your wife, unless she hauls **** for money, does not need a $700/mo truck. Get her a used Nissan. Sell your bike. You just said you get home from work so beat that you're a zombie. Do you know what that means? That bigass bike payment is sitting in the garage. You can buy another bike when you get your finances in order.

When you get rid of the truck, your vehicle insurance will drop.

Use the saved $1,300-$1,400 to pay off all of your credit card bills, as fast as possible.

Yes, you can certainly get a less expensive cellphone plan, and a less expensive cable plan, but you can't go to zero on the cellphone plan, and you can't cut off your cable, because you need internet. So, even if you cut both costs in half, you're only saving a few hundred a month, total. That's not the problem right now.

GET RID OF THE TRUCK AND THE BIKE, NOW. Buy your wife something cheap and used. She doesn't work. She needs to be part of this family, and that means that she needs to share in the family cost-cutting measures.

Sorry for all the uppercase and bolding, but since I can't actually reach through the internet and slap the **** out of you, it will have to do.

Love ya, man, but you gotta do it, and you gotta do it right now.

nevada72 (11-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Man, I'm BROKE