General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Miss the Dynas Already

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Just as bad as that one guy crying about his horse and buggy when cars came about. Lol
... and going to EFI from carbs.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

the size is weird on the new tails. Definitely feel smaller. No true mid mount points either. But overall, totally better bike. All the s*** folls spend big money fixing on the old bikes is already addressed on the new ones. HD actually listened and fixed the old issues (there are now new ones but, hey ) ....and now you have people who aren't even in the market mumbling nonsense about 20-40+ year old bikes that noboby even cares about anymore and vibrations... because they can.

just wait 10 years... there will be lots more to mumble nonsense about....

https://youtu.be/DhRrd1PM8jA

Just as bad as that one guy cryingvabout his horse and buggy when cars came about. Lol

If Harley-Davidson now made the most advanced and best motorcycles available today I could completely understand your statements. I will repeat, although the new M8 bikes are the best motorcycles that HD has ever built, there are motorcycles that have much more technology and are arguably better. To me, what the MoCo has done is open up the possibilities of other options.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
If Harley-Davidson now made the most advanced and best motorcycles available today I could completely understand your statements. I will repeat, although the new M8 bikes are the best motorcycles that HD has ever built, there are motorcycles that have much more technology and are arguably better. To me, what the MoCo has done is open up the possibilities of other options.
i get your pov. I dont agree with it.

Think of hd like those crappy iPhones. We all know they suck and no one should buy them... tons of better phones out there. Iphones are consistently behind the curve, restricted, poor design decisions, not expandable, require all sort of stupid apple approved add-ons, etc.. same bs every year. People just keep buying the crappy iphones though... Cus reasons.... hd is nearly the same situation.

hd mde the advanced vrod...what happened. B****ing and moaning..." it's not a harley" well what was it then? People want advancements then turn around and cry about it when they get it. People in the dyna forum were all like, " i can't wait till the new dynas come out with new enginges and frames (basically asking for what they were given)". Softails pop up and it's all, "oh woah is me!... why did harley do this?" you f*****g asked for it!

Same thing is going to happen with the sportster soon. People begging for more stuff. Hd will give them what they want and ..... bomb...., "oh woah is me!... why did harley do this?" Lol

you do have like it... you do have to deal with. Either ride old iron or move on. Crying about it solves nothing

Last edited by cvaria; 12-06-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

i get your pov. I dont agree with it.

Think of hd like those crappy iPhones. We all know they suck and no one should buy them.
"We" do? I don't think that's as universal of an idea as you would like to believe.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Halojumper
"We" do? I don't think that's as universal of an idea as you would like to believe.
well, there you have it.... defending garbage furthering the point

Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

If the new bikes are so great why are you still rolling on the wide glide and that old sporster? You talk so much about the new bike haters and here u are talking so much hate about the old bikes.wtf

Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Defending?

Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

How can u miss them when they are still on the show room floor.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Durham man
If the new bikes are so great why are you still rolling on the wide glide and that old spor[t]ster? You talk so much about the new bike haters and here u are talking so much hate about the old bikes.wtf

i think you have me and my position twisted. i never said hateful things about the old bikes. i said the new m8 softie bikes are better...because they are better. that ain't hate... that's a fact... stock power and handling blow dynas away.

my thing is [B]stop the m8 hate and hd soul nonsense along with this missing dynas stuff. if you ain't buying, it doesn't affect you so why sit around crying about it? the bell can't be un-rung. i'm also not telling anyone to get rid of their older bike. keep your old iron and be happy. your bike is not going to disappear or explode into oblivion. fxrs and evos are still out there with folks drooling over them.

why i'm not rolling on a m8 softie or new m8-ish sportster yet:
  1. i don't buy new vehicles off the lot.. that's just stupid me... not my thing. i'll let others eat that initial depreciation. i will buy one when they start popping up used at 1/2-3/4 the cost and all recall issues are know/resolved.
  2. i'm also waiting to see what shakes out problem wise. so far we have oil pumps and migration.
  3. no new m8-ish sportsters anywhere that i'm aware of... there have been no "run out and buy" changes since 2007) just the same tired old recycled stuff. even the roadster is the same old bike on improved suspension.

i love my bikes, sportster especially, and i'm not getting rid of either, only adding. there isn't a new sportster or softail as evil as either one of them. both built by my hands. i'm not that "first " guy. i'm not gonna be out on the front line getting mowed down by $3k+ dealer "admin/overhead/depreciation" costs and bleeding edge problems. spending money isn't a problem, wasting money is.

i dumped ~$23k+ into that old dyna and ~$8k+ into the old sportster over the last year or so. most recently $4k on ODC suspension for that old sportster. probably going to do the same for suspension on that old dyna. as you saw in the rake thread earlier.. so that's about the cost of an m8 softie and new 883. both now have basically new engines and many miles to go and some day, a m8 softie that i paid dirt for will be in the garage with them getting the same treatment.

Riding that 114 fat bob hammered home, to me anyway, that these new bikes are no joke and right up there with my dyna after all that sillyness i did to it, stock. to be honest, some of that ~23K that went into the dyna was to remedy problems that are already addressed on the most new softies:
  • oil cooler $400
  • predator motor mount $300
  • better brakes (lines, pads, rotors) $1000+
  • suspension 100 (so far, lol)
  • wheel bearings $140+
  • stronger clutch $? $500? dunno..
    etc...
would have been great to have all that stuff stock like the new bikes. i'm not just talking, my money is where my mouth is.

garbage = iphone --> https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l#post16886967

Last edited by cvaria; 12-06-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

This is what I thought your position was, but horse and buggy to a car, 20 30 year old bikes that nobody cares about, garbage, meaning the dyna ? I know you have a lot into your bikes, I have a lot into mine. I also know the new bikes are improved and I am glad they are.

Quick Reply: I Miss the Dynas Already