General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this work for a cheap maintenance table?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
Looks like I've found what I'm after, since no one seems to make a center stand for my bike:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html

Unless someone makes a better suggestion, I think this will work fine for me.
thats the one that my son in law uses. he doesn't strap his bike in, or have it bolted to the floor, plywood, etc... if you have the cradle in the right spot, you'll see when you get off the bike that you can really push/pull on the handlebars pretty vigorously and the bike won't go anywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I put a HF chock on a 4x8 plywood sheet many years ago. Used in on the floor, two trucks and 2 vans. Has worked great.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I went ahead and got the Harbor Freight one today:

I'll assemble it tomorrow and give it a go.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

I use a small pit boss block lift, it’s narrow and works ok until I can buy a real bike table lift...

Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
I went ahead and got the Harbor Freight one today:

I'll assemble it tomorrow and give it a go.
Cool! Let us know how it works out. Goods and bads please.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
tpitman
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought the cheaper Harbor Freight chock. Screwed it down on a short piece of plywood about 12" across. Two angle brackets to put a length of 2x4 across the back side for side-to-side stability. Then a separate 12" x about 4 foot piece of plywood, attached to the first piece with two metal straps and sheet metal screws for the bike to roll up to the chock on. It's just long enough for the rear wheel sit on. Getting the bike into the chock is easy enough. With the bike sitting on that second length of plywood, the weight keeps the whole mess from sliding across the floor when you jerk the bike out of the chock. The 2x4 gives enough balance to hold the bike up, but I slip a scissors jack under the frame to stabilize the bike for insurance.

Last edited by tpitman; 12-07-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Windseeker (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

I had the harbor freight wheel chock you're looking at. Loved it for the Sportster, hate it for the Glide. Heavy and hard to roll in and out when you have to roll over the rocker. The Wheeldock is much easier...which is what I have now. roll in, set it, get off and walk away. I just found it difficult to roll the Street Glide up and over the rocker on the HF dock.
Now...back when I raced dirt bikes, I brazed up some conduit I had fashioned to fit the front wheel to hold in place. brazed tabs on the lower part, bolted to a piece of plywood with slotted angle along the length. This fit in my van so I could roll the bike onto the plywood, into the chock and the cross brace of slotted angle provided side to side stability and a place to tie my straps. Wish I had some photos, or could remember how I really designed the dam thing!!! but bottom line was a welded conduit frame to hold the tire, plywood and slotted angle cross the bike sat on and away we went!!!!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

I haven't tried the bike on it yet, because I'm implementing the ideas suggested in this video:

I've installed the rubber tread plate material and I'm letting the Gorilla Glue set overnight. Tomorrow I plan to finish assembly with the washers added. Then I'll try it out and let everyone know how it goes.

Originally Posted by tpitman
With the bike sitting on that second length of plywood, the weight keeps the whole mess from sliding across the floor when you jerk the bike out of the chock.
I'm hoping that the rubber tread plate, as suggested in the above video, will make the dismount easy by holding the chock in place. If it doesn't, then I'll resort to the plywood idea. Either way, I think it'll work out fine.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-02-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Depending on the wheel chock you use...you might need a way to secure everything to the floor so you cab=n get the bike out of the chock

Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Update: As suggested in the above video, I put rubber tread plate on the bottom and tightened up the wheel holders with additional washers.

I tried it out today. It stays in place perfectly when rolling it in. Pulling back out? Not so much: it slides with the bike. But it's no problem. I ran straps from the rings on the front to a dumbbell rack loaded with dumbbells and that held it in place fine for the dismount. It's not enough of a problem for me to bother mounting it onto plywood.

I'm impressed with how sturdy it holds the bike. Very stable and will totally allow me to do whatever I need to get done.

Taggs (12-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Would this work for a cheap maintenance table?