General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Riding Gear, Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Leave it on the shelves. There are better ways to spend your time and cash than buttressing yourself against cold temps and wind chill on a motorcycle in the interests of having a good time.

Electric gloves won't turn December into August.
At what temperature does heated gear stop doing it’s job?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser
Yeah... that windchill chart is basically irrelevant with heated gear and you can ride in temperatures well below your normal tolerance level. I guess I dont really understand the point he was trying to make either.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

It was 32F when I started on my iron butt ride. Never got cold in the 18 hours / 1065 miles on the interstate.

With the Gerbing gear, make sure you have a liner under the jacket/Gloves or you will burn yourself if you turn the gear onto it's highest settings. It does get to 135F!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by shanneba
It was 32F when I started on my iron butt ride. Never got cold in the 18 hours / 1065 miles on the interstate.

With the Gerbing gear, make sure you have a liner under the jacket/Gloves or you will burn yourself if you turn the gear onto it's highest settings. It does get to 135F!
I’ve never been able to keep mine on the highest settings, gets too hot.

Heated gear does a pretty good job of turning December into August.

The following users liked this post:
BTLorys (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Leave it on the shelves. There are better ways to spend your time and cash than buttressing yourself against cold temps and wind chill on a motorcycle in the interests of having a good time.

Electric gloves won't turn December into August.

You’re such a hater....December here is like your September...

Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

In 2005 I rode home thinking the day would warm up. It did not. My hands were so cold they were claws. I could not get my house keys out of my pocket.
I went to Eagle Leather the next day and purchased Gerbings heated gloves with an off/on. The ride home was great except my hands went from hot to cold as I cycled the switch. Plus, it felt like I was a kid again when I ran the wires down my sleeves or just coiled them up with a wire tie on the bars. The next weekend I was back at Eagle Leather. I purchased a Gerbing heated jacket, dual controller and leather pouch.

Life has not been the same. I have ridden all day 22F.

Dual controller is a must, jacket and gloves heat differently. Plus the rheostat design allows precise comfort and is easily adjusted as the day warms or cools.

While it is true that heated gear will not make December feel like August, you can be comfortable.

Things I have learned.
Full face or Modular helmet. In the mid 30's I'll wear a 3/4 with flip shield, but I have a great lightweight faceshield.
You do not need a heavy face cover, even a lighter one works ok, just make sure the nose/breathing vents are large and downward facing.
I wear a belt. My cordura jacket has a belt. My leather does not so I take a heavy black jeans belt and place it around my waist. This allows me to hook my dual controllers inside the belt on my left side, making it easy peasy to adjust the temps up or down throughout the day. I tried every other arrangement before settling on this and it works well with every motorcycle.
My plug is mounted by the rear of the tank. Easier to remember to unplug when stopping and pulls out easily when I forget with no damage or strain on the wires.
I wear my heated vest over a long sleeve tee or light shirt, then a light fleece sweater and jacket.
When stopping, I open my faceshield so my breath does not fog the visor.
Gloves that seem heavy/bulky at 60F, do not seem heavy at all in the 20Fs. Good fit is important.
I have heated soles, but I switched to Neoprene Bog boots and my feet do not get cold, even when out all day in the 20Fs.
Ice is the enemy. Metal is the enemy. Painted road features are the enemy and gravel is the enemy. Otherwise you ride normally.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by shanneba

With most heated gear, thats generally the rule. Although the gloves I have (gordons) I dont think they tell you do have a liner underneath the gloves. Im pretty sure youre supposed to wear them as is... the jacket liner youre definitely supposed to have a layer underneath.

I do long sleeve shirt or thermal base layer, heated jacket liner, uninsulated leather jacket.... plus the heated gloves, warm pants, and a neoprene face cover/half helmet or skip the face cover and just put on the full face helmet, and I'm good to ride all day well below freezing. And I definitely dont max out the temperature settings on the gear. It gets too warm.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I wear a belt. My cordura jacket has a belt. My leather does not so I take a heavy black jeans belt and place it around my waist. This allows me to hook my dual controllers inside the belt on my left side, making it easy peasy to adjust the temps up or down throughout the day. I tried every other arrangement before settling on this and it works well with every motorcycle.
My $.02/preference. I mount the controller to my handle bars. That way it's right there in front of me - easily seen and manipulated.

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
When stopping, I open my faceshield so my breath does not fog the visor.
FF helmet and shield with pinlock works magic here. No need to have vents open or open/crack the shield to control fogging. Only time I open/crack my face shield is when it gets a little warm and I need a blast of cool air.

Originally Posted by BTLorys
With most heated gear, thats generally the rule. Although the gloves I have (gordons) I dont think they tell you do have a liner underneath the gloves. Im pretty sure youre supposed to wear them as is... the jacket liner youre definitely supposed to have a layer underneath.
+1 ^^^^

As stated above... No reason to wear liner inside the heated gloves. Gloves already are lined. Just wear as normal.

Heated socks... They are meant to be a bit tight/snug for best heating performance. Wear thin dress socks with the heated socks over them.

Heated pants... Also meant to be a bit snug/conforming... Wear just like long underwear.

Heated jacket liner... Also meant to be a bit snug/conforming... Wear with/over a long sleeve t-shirt or thin thermal base layer (Under Armour or whatever your flavor). Outer layers to your liking. I wear either leather or textile jacket with their liners installed.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-07-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Yeah... that windchill chart is basically irrelevant with heated gear and you can ride in temperatures well below your normal tolerance level. I guess I dont really understand the point he was trying to make either.
Not complicated.

Originally Posted by pigfoot63
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Need some good honest opinions.
,,,, and got one.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser
I have never gone over 1/3 to 1/2 way to max, but 20F is close to a minimum for me as I remain comfortable. I would cook if I turned it up past 1/2 way. Issue will not be hands or body below that temperature, your feet and toes would be an issue and heated socks or soles might be needed. Also your face and neck and ears might need special consideration below 20F. I've looked at riding at 14F and just said no, too much chance of frost or ice on the roads and my extremities would be tested to the limits. No fun. With heated gear, 20F and above is not only manageable, but practical and comfortable.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 12-07-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Heated Riding Gear, Need Some Advice