General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Creek Leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 PM
sf_appa
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Creek Leather

Hello folks:
I am looking for good leather jacket for causal wear ( I do not ride -yet). I have read and re-read many useful posts on leather jackets (including those on FoxCreek/Vanson/Schott) on this forum but could not find answer to my specific query.
Short Question: Has anyone used Foxcreek leather jacket for more than a decade (or many years at any rate) without having to replace nylon mesh lining?
Long Question:
I am almost done with the research and going on to "evaluation" phase. There are two models I have decided to try out. Neither one is perfect. Fitting apart (which I will review separately) here are some points.
1. Vanson Leather: Comet in medium weight firenze leather
+ Good quality leather and construction
+ Good hardware - Nickel, YKK
+ Good lining - Rayon
- Style: No side pockets

2. Fox Creek Leather Summer Jacket
+ Good hardware - antique brass YKK
+ Good style - Band collar, side pockets, plain back
? Nylon mesh lining

Also, Fox Creek is $100 cheaper than Vanson
Given that this will be the most expensive purchase of single piece of clothing for me, I expect the jacket that I choose to last many years decades.
So, can some one comment on durability of nylon mesh lining for Fox creek? They provide guarantee for life for the jacket but not for the lining

comments?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_appa
Hello folks:
I am looking for good leather jacket for causal wear ( I do not ride -yet). I have read and re-read many useful posts on leather jackets (including those on FoxCreek/Vanson/Schott) on this forum but could not find answer to my specific query.
Short Question: Has anyone used Foxcreek leather jacket for more than a decade (or many years at any rate) without having to replace nylon mesh lining?
Long Question:
I am almost done with the research and going on to "evaluation" phase. There are two models I have decided to try out. Neither one is perfect. Fitting apart (which I will review separately) here are some points.
1. Vanson Leather: Comet in medium weight firenze leather
+ Good hardware - Nickel, YKK
+ Good lining - Rayon
- Style: No side pockets

2. Fox Creek Leather Summer Jacket
+ Good hardware - antique brass YKK
+ Good style - Band collar, side pockets, plain back
? Nylon mesh lining

Also, Fox Creek is $100 cheaper than Vanson
Given that this will be the most expensive purchase of single piece of clothing for me, I expect the jacket that I choose to last many years decades.
So, can some one comment on durability of nylon mesh lining for Fox creek? They provide guarantee for life for the jacket but not for the lining

comments?
well that is a kick in the rear because I thought the lining was part of the jacket i guess yhat is a loop hole for fox creek to jump through

Last edited by 6 gun; 12-08-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
well that is a kick in the rear because I thought the lining was part of the jacket i guess yhat is a loop hole for fox creek to jump through
I guess that there are some wear items that are not going to be covered on anything we own. Like on your bike, it is the lights, fuses, normal tire wear, normal wear on the drive belt, not to exclude the oils. The seat is cover for manufacturing defects, but not normal wear.

I would rest easy with a Fox Creek purchase and be confident that they would do the right thing if something failed prematurely.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

In all my time on the forums, I've never read an ill word about Fox Creek. Considering the forum consists largely of crotchety old men, that's saying something. I would buy with confidence if that is the jacket you prefer.

The following 2 users liked this post by FNGonaRK:
JimmyDee (12-09-2017), Tony P (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

My liner had an armpit fail. Stitches released. Sent it back and repaired no questions asked. They even paid return shipping. FC rocks!!

The following users liked this post:
JimmyDee (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I don’t have their jacket but I do have their golves. Best damn gloves I’ve ever had for riding. If their jackets are as good as their gloves, you will be happy.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

To the OP: If you want a leather jacket for "casual wear", do not get a riding jacket... they do not fit like a regular jacket as they are made to fit you while bent over a motorcycle. I have two riding jackets, a USA-made Harley Jacket and a Fox Creek, both are suck-in-my-gut tight to zip and are snug across the chest. When leaned over the bike in the wind, there is no flapping or movement of any kind. If you are looking for something to lean up against the bar, I would suggest that you consider the goatskin flight jackets from LL Bean. Fox Creek used to make a flight jacket. I don't know if that is still the case, but whatever they make is top-shelf...

The following users liked this post:
white boy (03-13-2021)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
I guess that there are some wear items that are not going to be covered on anything we own. Like on your bike, it is the lights, fuses, normal tire wear, normal wear on the drive belt, not to exclude the oils. The seat is cover for manufacturing defects, but not normal wear.

I would rest easy with a Fox Creek purchase and be confident that they would do the right thing if something failed prematurely.
well I guess that Fox creek offers a limited life time warranty, and I'm ok with that, cause I'm planning on buying from them about this time next year.

Last edited by 6 gun; 12-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM
sf_appa
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of positive comments - very encouraging. Thank you everyone.

To the OP: If you want a leather jacket for "casual wear", do not get a riding jacket... they do not fit like a regular jacket as they are made to fit you while bent over a motorcycle.
Noted, I am trying the actual fit in the coming week. Will try to post some pictures here for posterity.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 115 Posts

The Fox Creek Grayson is a very comfortable jacket to wear casually. The only complaint I have is after owning one for 4 years is the color is fading and it is more brown than black.

Quick Reply: Fox Creek Leather