General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling bike options

Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Selling bike options

First off, I started another thread about riding after a detached retina. Considering all options and one of them is if I decide to sell the bikes. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic w/30k miles and 1977 sportster.

So if it comes to selling, I really don't want to deal with guys coming to my house or dealing with them wanting test rides, scammers/thieves or anything. I may not even feel comfortable (eye sight) riding it to meet them somewhere. Has anyone sold their bike to a harley dealer? I know they need to make money so would expect their offer to reflect that. Just wondering how bad an offer to expect. Anyone have experience with selling to dealer or consignment sales? Any other suggestions?

So, just laying it out there to get opinions ahead of time. One option is just to keep it a year or so and make my decision then. Will be hard looking at them just sitting there when they should be enjoyed.

Regards,

Jim

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by xltjim
One option is just to keep it a year or so and make my decision then. Will be hard looking at them just sitting there when they should be enjoyed.
I vote for this option. Never make quick decisions when you're feeling sorry about your situation. Who knows what can change in a few months. Besides, it won't be too hard looking at them if you just imagine how bad you'd feel if you saw either one going by with somebody else riding them!

Anyway, I hope your condition improves and you get back on the road soon.

Last edited by Hey Man; 12-14-2017 at 02:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
mctraveler (03-02-2018), xltjim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,163 Likes on 5,391 Posts

One option is just to keep it a year or so and make my decision then.
I would wait till at least spring...right now you are not likely to sell either of those bikes unless it is a "give away" price

The following users liked this post:
xltjim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I know they need to make money so would expect their offer to reflect that. Just wondering how bad an offer to expect. Anyone have experience with selling to dealer or consignment sales? Any other suggestions?
I have sold bikes to HD dealers. It is no way to make money on a bike, but I'm sure you knew that. Like auto dealers, m/c dealers usually make more money on a used bike than on a new bike.

If the low retail on your bike is $10K, I would expect an offer in the $6K-$7k range.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but in my experience, I walked out of the dealer with a check in hand, and after about a week, it was all behind me. The upside, of course, is that you are not dealing with the public, and in the world of HD ownership, that is a good thing. For every buyer you might find that can actually afford your bike, there are 10 dreamers that will waste your time. I would never take a deposit on a used bike as most deals fall through and everyone wants their deposit back, or your house gets egged, or worse.

Most dealers don't want consignment sales as the % of profit is lower. So, if they will take a consignment, they try everything they can to sell a different bike if someone is interested in yours.

Your Ultra is somewhat in demand, the Sporty not so much unless it is really, really special. Sorry for your misery.

I'd go chat with the dealer and see what they say. Good luck.

xltjim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

The dealership that I frequent once consigned a bike that I was selling. Full disclosure - I was in the market for a new RK so they were motivated to work with me. Yes, I made a bit less, (probably), than I might have selling it outright, but no hassles. They actually got more for the bike than I expected, so I was happy. Just an option for you to consider should you decide to unload them.

xltjim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Dealer gave me about half of what I could in a private sale. But it was money that day and after trying to sell a bike online it seemed it was worth the hit to not have the hassle. They don't care what modifications are on it, price won't change.

Private sales are usually quite a bit of work. You could sell it on the cheap side and make more than a dealer will give you, but it's still going to be work. Cash in your hand before they test ride it. A test ride should be the "I decided to buy this and just want to double check it's condition before signing the papers" sort of deal. Lot of people just like to haggle or see if they want that type of bike in the first place.

Wait on this though. This is the worst time to sell a bike. Not just the time of year but everything else going on too you've mentioned. Remember, you can only sell it once.

Another option... know anyone who would really want the thing? Could always pray on it and give the bike to someone. My father did that, the kid didn't appreciate it, his parents ended up getting it in the end, which lead to saving their marriage from riding together.

Just a thought.

(*And I wouldn't ever let anyone know you where planning to give it away if you ever chose to, it's amazing how many people suddenly become interested, and then start asking about your other bike. No one should know till after the fact)

But honestly, wait right now. Time is needed to fix a lot of things sometimes and you can always sell in later if you choose to. They're not going to become garbage if they end up sitting for a few months. But once they're gone, they're gone.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 12-14-2017 at 06:51 PM.
xltjim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I would consign the bike to an independent shop you trust, or sell it to them outright. You will probably get more than you would from the dealer and would not have to deal with the hassle of selling it on your own.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:35 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Can't imagine a dealer even considering a 1977 Sportster. Probably don't have a wrench that even knows what to do with it.

Iv'e sold a couple of bikes using C-List and never had a problem. Just need to set the rules and make them clear. Decent quality pics help as well. You could also post here in the 4-Sale section. There are a few who, no matter what your price, will claim they can/did get a bettr deal for way under your asking price but i have yet to see any of these post any actual pics.

Have to agree with the others, wait on it and see how you feel about it come Spring. Can't speak for new bikes but for many, older iron, the closer to stock, the better thr price/value.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts

Consider listing your bikes on eBay.
If listed properly, you will get much more then a dealer would ever give you.
Also, you don't have to respond to low ballers or con artists. You don't have to show them where you live and you don't have to hand over your bikes intell the monies are in your hands.
Make the buyer responsible for picking up the bike and don't mess with buyers that are not from this country.
There are fees involved but you will still make out way better then giving your bikes to the dealership.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Ebay!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling bike options