General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter projects - what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts
Default Winter projects - what's yours?

For those of us that live where the air hurts your face.... Ok I suppose you warm winter guys can play too.

What is your winter project?

I am stripping the trunk. Taller bars with internal wiring (as much for a cleaner look than comfort). new controls, cables, all new brake lines up front.

I am always interested in what others are doing so share em up.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Well, at the beginning of December 2017 I was laying out plans for work on my 1999 Ultra Classic. I was going to inspect the cam chain tensioners, primary chain and tensioners, new idle speed control unit, new Daymaker like headlight and spots, new heated grip control side grip, and fluid changes. I then made the mistake of being at the HD dealer during the 0% financing sale about the middle of December and ended up with a new 2018 Ultra Limited instead. So my Winter projects are over for this year now and I am ready for Spring!

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 140 Posts

Mainly I'm finishing setting up my shop to be able to do any bike project work completely out of the elements. At the organizing and picking up last few tools stage of it all. But bike projects, switch to some 8" risers and maybe change out my windshield. Also put some handguards on for cooler rides and if I can get the temp under control in I'll repaint my bike again. Just did it 3 months ago but didn't come out the way I liked. Never ending projects, got to love them.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My project is to ride when it's above 45° and not let the bike sit. I might get it out next week when my mittens get here, to see how warm they are. And I'm not paying for it to just sit there.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default This and that

Clean the garage out, clean the tool box, put up shelves, wire up the stereo.

Change engine oil and filter. Trying out a full synthetic for the 1st time at 27,000 miles (Mobile 1). Thinking about synthetic gear oil for the tranny.

Change out the coolant. Supposed to be done every two years but I have stretched it to four.

Thought about buying a J&S bike jack, but reluctant to have more crap in the garage.

Thought about putting on new bars to increase comfort but I changed them out once before - it was a PIA.

Maybe we will get a warm spell and I can put this nonsense aside.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

New back tire, general maintenance. Nothing much else.

Like Omaha tho, I have a long term Sportster project. So far it has GSXr inverted forks, bare bones wiring, red powder coated frame and other bits, Bassani exhaust (A "**** off the neighbors" no baffle system), and features a host of spare parts.

Most of the stuff on it is left-overs from other projects, stuff bought used, etc. I WAS gonna build a pair of 17" wheels for it because of the large tire selection, particularly dual sport tires. But holy cow it would be a chunk of change. I just happen to have a pair of 16" smoothies that came off my Deluxe that will likely get used for this.

I just have to re-lace the front using the Sportster hub, which has already been adapted to the Suzuki fork and brake. Find me some big ol' knobbies and it'll be good to go!

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 12-29-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:34 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Keeping warm and drinking as much wine as I can get my hands on....

Bike, maybe figure out the wiring for my tourpack or find a used seat the wife likes for her tushie. Or chrome the controls. Or nothing. All depends on time and moula.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

12" La Chopper twin peaks
arc moto 600.4
ad designs 6.5" component speakers
rockford fosgate 6x9 rear speaker lid kit
and powered coating a lot of the chrome, gloss black

Its all done now, just waiting for a nice day to ride home from the shop, or have the guy trailer it over here for me

Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Since I took this job a few years ago I haven't been spending time in my garage just too tired anymore, after a good look around while gearing up for a ride the other day come to the conclusion it's time to reclaim it from the little woman. That's my winter project.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-29-2017 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cprhed (12-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Winter projects - what's yours?