General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever almost stopped riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
When I look for a ride I ask myself if it is worth dying for.
If the answer is "Yes" I go for a ride.
If not, I sit at home or get in bed and pull the sheets up over my head and hide.
I love life so those rides are all the more precious when I get one.
Let's ride.
I love your bike, what is it?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,725 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I love your bike, what is it?
Says, "its a deuce" in his signature

Old 02-21-2018, 10:47 AM
W0DAN
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came close once after a road accident but got back in the saddle.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Yes, got caught up in a London taxi's bumper and dragged around Hyde Park Corner (for those who know where I'm talking about). I managed to keep the bike upright and eventually his bumper disentangled from my engine guard. Anyway, it shook me up enough to sell the bike to a friend's brother, then I got married, had kids and forgot about riding for 27 years.

Started riding again almost 6 years ago when I dated a guy who had an Electra Glide and who came to pick me up on it one evening. By the time we were at the end of my street I had decided I wanted to ride again.
Did the E-Glide guy last?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I stopped riding last year due to health issues. I miss it every day. Nothing I'd like more than to jump on the bike and head for the hills, but that just is not possible now.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Sunday April 9, 2017 was a beautiful day in Carolina. I was almost back home from a solo ride from Greenville to Hendersonville and back. When approaching a red light within 2 miles of home and the light changed traffic started picking up speed. As we started moving faster cars started jocky'ing for position. I was in the far right lane and out of the corner of my eye I could see a vehicle squeezing me over to the white line running down the middle of a rumble strip. Next thing I remember was sitting in the grass and hearing the EMS siren. Half out of it the state trooper was asking what happen. I had no idea the car didn't stop and since no one who saw what happened stopped he assumed I just LOST IT and that's the way he wrote up the report. Well the collision portion of my insurance is paying to repair my bike but if some one who saw what happened had stopped and gave that tidbit of info to the trooper I would have been able to collect on the uninsured motorist portion of my insurance, but nooooo. I wasn't that lucky. I was in the hospital four days with four broken ribs in multiple places and a broken scapula. I think I broke a bone for each hump I hit in that rumble strip. The hospital bill was and still is sizable. I had Progressive insurance and they will only pay up if I find someone who saw it happen or if I can convince the trooper to change his report which will happen when hell freezes over. So I am more than a little pissed at the *** that would do this and not man up and stop. At least to be sure I was alive.
In summation my bike is still apart at the stealer and I haven't ridden since even though I have a perfectly good Sportster, in part because my grand young-uns are scared I could get killed next time. I hope not because my bike should be back up and going soon and I don't hurt much anymore so I'm ready to go again.

Last edited by motohaid; 02-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

^^^
Well that sucks, sorry to hear about your aches and pains, I hope you heal up OK. This is one of the reasons I wear a GoPro. If something happens, I want a record of it.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

On 3/20/2017 I was injured on the job due to an unsafe ladder provided by the general contractor causing me to call in front of witnesses (ladder replaced with a much safer one the next day). I tore both shoulders in that fall. I had surgery on the right shoulder in May and awaiting surgery on the left next month! I have been unable to ride my 2016 road glide since the accident and probably won't be able to ride at all this year either! It was almost 70 here yesterday and it kills me! I will admit the drivers with the phone glow on their face as they try to kill me has made me a diligent driver. I miss riding so much that it has me pretty down.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:39 AM
dannyice
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went down in LACONIA 1998 .Contusion of the brain.Was on anti seizure med for year worried the whole year waiting for a seizure and how it would affect my life. the seizure never came the following year went to Sturgis. 2009 went down in florida keys.damage to my hands. Riding is dangerous that's part of the attraction. the good part about going down is that it keeps you from being out in the front all the time.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I had some major heart surgery in 1999 and thought about it. I am now on blood thinners and my Dr. always says "If you go down you are going to bleed like crazy and they may not get it to stop!" I just acknowledge him and press on. The feeling of riding is like nothing else. Freedom, the smells and just the wind is so relaxing to me I will never stop.

Quick Reply: Have you ever almost stopped riding?