Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Have you ever almost stopped riding? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1213069-have-you-ever-almost-stopped-riding.html)

DC4MVP 01-01-2018 11:30 PM

Have you ever almost stopped riding?

Just curious if anyone has had a moment where they thought about hanging up the boots. Maybe it was a close encounter, maybe you wrecked or a buddy wrecked, or you had a life event that made you think twice about jumping on the bike.

My moment came in 2012. We were waiting for a buddy in Stillwater, MN right on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. We waited, and waited, and waited for maybe an hour and a half. No answer of the phone or nothing.

So we went on riding without him thinking he just was ignoring us. Later that night, we heard from a DOT worker and fellow rider who was on the scene that Scott was run off the road, crashed into a metal barrier, and was killed on the way to meet us.

That one shook me up pretty bad and got me to thinking for a little while if riding a bike with all these distracted drivers is even worth it anymore.

Oko 01-01-2018 11:44 PM

No. Even after hitting a deer and going to the hospital. I got back on the bike as soon as it was fixed (1-month). I worry more about age taking away my ability to ride my current dreadnought.

AussieDog 01-02-2018 12:33 AM

Quit riding for a while

Yes, several years after a divorce. Migrated out of riding for several years, driving my 1971 454 Corvette convertible instead. Still owned a 650 BSA during this timeframe but it didn't run. Got back into riding when I bought a used 1980 CB750F Honda. That was in 1986, been riding every since.

Veekness 01-02-2018 12:48 AM

No. Crashed for the first time a year ago. Never any doubt that I would get back on. Worked through the yayas.

That said, if someone else decided not to get back on the horse, that's their thang.

K9F 01-02-2018 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by AussieDog (Post 16960075)
Yes, several years after a divorce. Migrated out of riding for several years.......

Exactly the same as myself. Didn't have a cent or a pot to pee in after the divorce settlement. Only transport I had was a 1995 Triumph Daytona and had to ride through necessity all year round, it wasn't pleasant especially in the winter when it was minus 6 degrees Celsius. As soon as I was able to buy an old car the bike went in the garage and was untouched for 9 years. Returned to it though with eventual change of fortune and family. Guess the yearning and interest never actually leaves you once it is in your blood metaphorically speaking.

IronAss 01-02-2018 01:13 AM

Never.

skidder 01-02-2018 03:28 AM

Not a chance, been at it for 44 rides around the sun.

Sling Blade 14 01-02-2018 04:56 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...00841e52b3.jpg
I've never had a thought about stopping what I consider a critical part of living.
I've been rear ended and unable to sit on my bike for 7 months but always talked and planned to heal and ride.
I'm an aggressive rider and never let cagers determine my moves and pace.

uklauren 01-02-2018 06:47 AM

Yes, got caught up in a London taxi's bumper and dragged around Hyde Park Corner (for those who know where I'm talking about). I managed to keep the bike upright and eventually his bumper disentangled from my engine guard. Anyway, it shook me up enough to sell the bike to a friend's brother, then I got married, had kids and forgot about riding for 27 years.

Started riding again almost 6 years ago when I dated a guy who had an Electra Glide and who came to pick me up on it one evening. By the time we were at the end of my street I had decided I wanted to ride again.

6 gun 01-02-2018 07:03 AM

I didn't but my best friend did. there were three of us that rode bikes all over the town that we grew up in. Now Him and his wife had triplets, and looking back on my wreck and seeing the other of the three of us have a major wreck, he hung it up, and sold his bike, he figgered it might be his turn, and he wants to watch his babies grow up.