General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenching Your Own Bike Versus Paying a Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Seems there are two kinds of guys that still work on their machines, the guys who have been doing it forever and the younger guys that are getting into Harleys.

I've been wrenching on cars since long before I could legally drive them and started wrenching on my Harley shortly after buying one. I was intimidated having only worked on cars, which is why I initially joined the forum to learn from others. It's all nuts, bolts and torque specs at the end of the day.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Next time I do a shovel lower end I'll do a pictorial and post up, bend some of you guys minds a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Carl '69 (01-09-2018), Clammy (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

The first "accessory" I bought after buying Reaper was the factory service manual. It has been invaluable over the 13 years she has been with me. I do as much of my own wrenching as I possibly can. Mainly because I trust myself to do the work right. For the things that require specialty tools that I can't do by myself, I have a trusted indy mechanic, who I help with the work.

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:38 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by tpitman
Here's the video I'd found. It was this easy . . .

https://youtu.be/K0TYtkPa75g
Old Skool trick. Works with valve guides and other things too.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
When I graduated high school my mom bought me a full set of dishes and silverware and my dad bought me a full set of Craftsman tools. I still have all of those tools and have bought a few more since then. He taught me the value of quality tools and to keep them clean.
I won't say anything about how old you are, but if that tool set was long enough ago to be when they were all American made, you'd spend a lot of money getting anything made today in that quality range. I got most of my Craftsman tools in the 70's, and wouldn't think of replacing them with new, those are tough well made tools. Their new ones made in China... I'd spend a lot less and get Harbor Freight, be a lot closer to getting what you paid for.

While on tools, I'm going to slip a bit off topic. Harley doesn't have a lot of crosspoint screws (what most of us have thought of as philips), but almost anything made outside the U.S. is JIS, Japanese Industrial Standard. They look like Philips, but they don't have flutes tapered on the sides and the center isn't as deep. That means using a philips screwdriver on them will feel a little wobbly because the tips bottoms out before the flutes fully engage, and are easier to slip and strip. Not many brands of JIS drivers in the U.S., but Amazon sells some, and "Vessel", a Japanese brand, is really good. I have the following two, and really like these these; one is a impact style that only turns counterclockwise, a nice feature. I've found them to fit standard philips better than my philips screwdrivers. Not many on Harleys yet, but on cars, including American, and any Harley part made overseas.

Amazon Amazon

Didn't know if I'd like this style, but it's my favorite now.

Amazon Amazon

Anyone that has BMW, Honda, any metric, should be using these instead of philips and avoid stripping your case screws.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

80% of learning in the world is still trial and error not colleges or tech schools.

You learn by doing. The best learning is from making a mistake.

There just is not that much difference in tearing into a Shovel or a M8. Everything is components held together with fasteners. Lefty loosey righty tighty is three fourths of the work.

When I started riding in March of 1956 hardly anyone even heard of a service manuals. I just worked on the gravel driveway with the most basic tools. Luxury was having a piece of cardboard to lay on.

I never had a service manual until after I retired. I pulled out engines and tore them apart just to see. First did that in grade school when we got our first power lawn mower. Good thing dad worked 12 hours that day. I got it back together and running before he got home.

One way to start is to punch the fastener into a piece of cardboard with an outline of the part being removed like a primary case. Then they go back in the same order. That is when you notice not all are the same length.

I've done top end jobs, replaced clutches, compensators, generators, laced rims, mount tires, ring and pinion gears (Ural). Just look at the pieces as they come out and put back in reverse order. If your memory is poor take pictures.

When I got into motorcycling working of your bike was part of the experience.

I am getting to the point that I feed some work to the dealer as it takes me longer to do less than ever before. But I am willing to pay the freight. It is not acceptable for someone to have a dealer perform the work then the person goes into a fit of rage over the cost. Pay the man or do it yourself.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-08-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I won't say anything about how old you are, but if that tool set was long enough ago to be when they were all American made, you'd spend a lot of money getting anything made today in that quality range. I got most of my Craftsman tools in the 70's, and wouldn't think of replacing them with new, those are tough well made tools. Their new ones made in China... I'd spend a lot less and get Harbor Freight, be a lot closer to getting what you paid for.
That was 1975 and I'm certain they are American made. Recently while cleaning my stepdad's garage out I came across a hand drill that was all metal and corded. It came in a metal carrying case as well. Pretty cool! I kept it.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Next time I do a shovel lower end I'll do a pictorial and post up, bend some of you guys minds a bit.
I look forward to it. If I had a friend like you around local, I'd buy a Shovel and cases of beer just to drain knowledge.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,428 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
80% of learning in the world is still trial and error not colleges or tech schools.

You learn by doing. The best learning is from making a mistake.

There just is not that much difference in tearing into a Shovel or a M8. Everything is components held together with fasteners. Lefty loosey righty tighty is three fourths of the work.

When I started riding in March of 1956 hardly anyone even heard of a service manuals. I just worked on the gravel driveway with the most basic tools. Luxury was having a piece of cardboard to lay on.

I never had a service manual until after I retired. I pulled out engines and tore them apart just to see. First did that in grade school when we got our first power lawn mower. Good thing dad worked 12 hours that day. I got it back together and running before he got home.

One way to start is to punch the fastener into a piece of cardboard with an outline of the part being removed like a primary case. Then they go back in the same order. That is when you notice not all are the same length.

I've done top end jobs, replaced clutches, compensators, generators, laced rims, mount tires, ring and pinion gears (Ural). Just look at the pieces as they come out and put back in reverse order. If your memory is poor take pictures.

When I got into motorcycling working of your bike was part of the experience.

I am getting to the point that I feed some work to the dealer as it takes me longer to do less than ever before. But I am willing to pay the freight. It is not acceptable for someone to have a dealer perform the work then the person goes into a fit of rage over the cost. Pay the man or do it yourself.
The card board trick is how I take my primary cover off, I thought I invented that dam! Great post!

The following users liked this post:
tpitman (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:42 PM
tpitman
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
The card board trick is how I take my primary cover off, I thought I invented that dam! Great post!
That and keeping your phone handy and taking pictures of the disassembly.

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (01-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Wrenching Your Own Bike Versus Paying a Shop