General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Post From an Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Glad to hear you are making good progress! Enjoy.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:34 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

Hello All,

I have been reading the forum for many days and it seems like I have contributed in getting it "off topic". The core of this thread is my father's legacy of helping others in need. It's not about me or Mom or the bike. It's about helping others in need and hopefully doing it anonymously. I haven't had time to read all the posts from new riders ( like myself ), but would be interested to know who has given someone good advice. Even better, I hope someone has helped someone you encountered that was down on their luck. Maybe just that guy sitting at the red light with a sign asking for help. Yes, I realize that many of them might be looking for the next high or scamming, Surely someone has seen someone that you truly realized needed some help. Please share if you have done so. Make Dad smile and as always wishing you what he wanted for everyone. " warm sunny days"

The following 2 users liked this post by sat4314:
Hardcase61 (05-22-2018), IdahoHacker (09-30-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314
Hello All,

I have been reading the forum for many days and it seems like I have contributed in getting it "off topic". The core of this thread is my father's legacy of helping others in need. It's not about me or Mom or the bike. It's about helping others in need and hopefully doing it anonymously. I haven't had time to read all the posts from new riders ( like myself ), but would be interested to know who has given someone good advice. Even better, I hope someone has helped someone you encountered that was down on their luck. Maybe just that guy sitting at the red light with a sign asking for help. Yes, I realize that many of them might be looking for the next high or scamming, Surely someone has seen someone that you truly realized needed some help. Please share if you have done so. Make Dad smile and as always wishing you what he wanted for everyone. " warm sunny days"
Don't forget the most important part of your father's legacy -- you, and the kind of human being that he helped you to become.

The following 3 users liked this post by cficole:
Campy Roadie (07-01-2018), Hardcase61 (05-23-2018), mctraveler (06-01-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Don't forget the most important part of your father's legacy -- you, and the kind of human being that he helped you to become.
Well said!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314
Hello All,

Brian, I think you're on to something. Perhaps the topic you suggested is ripe for it's own thread. I'll share a good deed I witnessed on Saturday. I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. There was a handwritten sign on the door "cash only". Several people waiting on line. The first customer completed her order and presented her phone for payment. The cashier said "sorry, cash only. There's a sign on the door." The customer, clearly embarrassed, asked to cancel the order. Another customer 2 or 3 back in the line offered to pay for the woman's order. I had no part in the incident, but it made my day.

The following users liked this post:
sat4314 (06-06-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I love keeping up with this sticky but it is so much more than that. God bless you Brian!!!

sat4314 (06-06-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM
sat4314
Road Captain

Hi All,happened
It seems like it's been raining forever. Managed to go to Rolling Thunder this past Sunday and yes I am still riding Dad's Ultra. Been before as a spectator but this was first time actually riding in it. In a word, "amazing" !!!!! Several of Dad's friends were with us down and back. Yes, I finally took my better half for a ride. A little nervous with some of the stopping and starting during the ride but overall it went well. I got there and for a few hours we wandered around the Pentagon lot ( vendors, etc.). I actually got to meet a Medal of Honor winner. He actually remembered Dad's battalion being there in 1965 !!!. Didn't know Dad but remembered the battalion. Said they built some amazing things for the corp. Dad was a Seabee. Anyway, I just wanted to share something with all of you. I constantly watch for those who may be in need, but nothing lately has happened. One of the vendors actually gave my wife and I a tee shirt and said thank you for Dad's service. It made me cry but feel very proud as well. So enough for now. Wishing all of you "warm sunny days and miles of good riding". God bless......

The following 11 users liked this post by sat4314:
BinIdaho (07-02-2018), BTLorys (06-01-2018), graygoat (05-31-2018), Hardcase61 (05-31-2018), harpo302 (06-10-2019), IdahoHacker (09-30-2018), mctraveler (06-01-2018), nobodyknowsme (06-01-2018), sailmotion (06-01-2018), TSheff (05-31-2018), WP50 (06-03-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:05 AM
3fsf78348923
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Brian. Caught and read this thread. My folks are gone, but I cling to the good memories. They let me have my first bike at 16. Anyway...was in a thrift store one day and chatted up a lady at the cookbooks. Sometime later, we were at the checkout and she had a pile of clothes to buy. I said I'd like to pay for that. She let me and the look on her face was priceless. Ride safe and often and thanks for the great heart and legacy you are carrying forward. Am honored to read this thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by 3fsf78348923:
BinIdaho (07-02-2018), sat4314 (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM
sat4314
Road Captain

Hi All,

Just checking in. Wonderful replies and the words thank you don't seem adequate sometimes. I have been carrying some gift cards with me but amazingly haven't seen anyone in particular for awhile now that would benefit from them. Yes, I have bought a couple people a burger or a coffee but that "someone" who really needs help hasn't crossed my path lately. Today, I tried something a little different. I went to the Good Will store ( yes they know me ) and gave the cards to the manager. I told her that any World War Two veteran ( a lot of them proudly wear a hat ) that comes in, the cards are to be used to pay 50% of their bill at the register. Let's see how it goes with that. I am blessed in many ways ( home, job, family, food, etc.). I have a question for you. If you had a large sum of money to donate to just one charity, which one would it be and why ? I came into some money and aside from some things I am planning for the bike, I thought perhaps there is one group out there that is dedicated without a lot of overhead to helping veterans . Let me know your thoughts and until then "warm sunny days" sent your way...……………...

IdahoHacker (09-30-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Touten2
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 82 Posts

Donating to charity is a very personal thing in my opinion. My reasons and motivations for donating reflects my values, but may not reflect yours. I generally look at the percentage of a donation that actually goes to the charity vs. the amount that goes to administrative fees. Good for you for thinking of others!

tim

Quick Reply: Last Post From an Old Guy