General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Post From an Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you Sarah,

Mom is correct in saying that I have maybe over extended myself a little. A cup of coffee turns into a breakfast, turns into a room for a night or two. So I have a question for all of you, I see a lot of things on social media about GOFUNDME???? Not positive about the site name. What are your thoughts ? I will gladly contribute money to get it stared Can there be stipulations that its for homeless veterans? Looking for some good advice.

The following users liked this post:
Hardcase61 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314
Thank you Sarah,

Mom is correct in saying that I have maybe over extended myself a little. A cup of coffee turns into a breakfast, turns into a room for a night or two. So I have a question for all of you, I see a lot of things on social media about GOFUNDME???? Not positive about the site name. What are your thoughts ? I will gladly contribute money to get it stared Can there be stipulations that its for homeless veterans? Looking for some good advice.
Brian your wanting to help those in need is admirable, I would like to caution you that there are some who will take advantage given the chance.

A lot of homeless have either an addiction or some mental illness, if you give an addict cash they will use it for drugs or alcohol.

i personally never give cash.

ways you can help:

Food Drives for a food bank in your area.
Clothing and blanket drives (food bank or church).
Homeless shelters (talk to the homeless and see which one does the most for them).

this is just a start I am sure others can add to the list.

Sarah93003 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Thank you Sarah,

Perhaps start here: https://www.va.gov/homeless/

I'm sure there are a lot of groups out there but I would check them out first.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Thank you for the kind words and great advice.
I'll pray for you and your family.
God bless.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:27 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you Sarah,

Just sat and read this thread, all the noise of modern living tends to drown out the simple truth of living a life well no matter what curves appear. You dad did that and your family share his spirit. Well done sir. Reaching out to help vets, I would keep the money as local as possible, biggest bang for the buck. Maybe you could talk with some local vet groups for guidance and suggestions on proceeding. Some of the large national organizations don’t have great reputations for Percentage of donation money actually making it to helping vets. Similar to many charities sadly. One final thought, for those of us touched by it is, cancer truly sucks.

Last edited by sectime; 10-05-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Mozvader (10-05-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 PM
wmnmy
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the kind words and god bless you and your family...

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Default Missing My Dad

I have been a member for several years now since 2008 and rarely post anything. Been riding since 73 or so. Started in California on a Honda, then got my first Harley in 75. Gave up the bike when my son was born in 76. It wasn't until 2008 after he was grown and graduated college, married and blessed me with my first grandchild, that I allowed myself to get another bike. I have owned several since then, 08 Dyna, 09 Street Glide, 14 Ultra Limited, 15 CVO Street Glide and now a 17 Ultra Limited. Getting up in years now, and very much enjoy riding with my wife, I read the forum every couple days or so and reflect on the changes over the years. Only one thing holds true for me over all the years. Don't judge others, be respectful to everyone, and enjoy the time you have in this life. I was recently diagnosed with cancer and I know my riding days will come to an end. Remember to enjoy life and your bike. However, remember your priorities ( family, children ) should always come first. I always end my reading on this forum because there are a lot of new riders who ask for information and guidance and it doesn't always get off in left field with the topic changed by the 4th or 5th response. I am a disabled veteran from back in the day, a Patriot Guard Rider and support all good causes that raise money for those in need. Please pause for just a moment to think about where you would like to be in your final days on this earth. Did you do the "right thing" ? I wish you all nothing but sunny warm days and long rides, This will be my last post and I have probably rambled on way too much. Be safe and I'll see you on the other side.
just
These last few weeks have been difficult and I apologize for not posting sooner. I have been volunteering for a lot of overtime and working very hard to get my savings account built back up. I am sitting here reflecting on what Dad wanted for all of us. Kindness towards everyone, and the desire to give nothing more than respect to all no matter what path life has led you down. Veterans Day is nearing and I wish Dad had a head stone to visit and lay a wreath on in December. Mom and I honored his last wish and I know he is out there somewhere catching a wave. My wish is that everyone remember those who have served our country. Especially those who are homeless and forgotten. Also those who haven't but may just need to know that we care about them. Winter is coming and they will need help. Just wanted to say hello and again say a heartfelt thank you to all of you. Wishing you "warm sunny days and long rides" God bless you all...………

The following 3 users liked this post by sat4314:
graygoat (10-25-2018), Hardcase61 (10-24-2018), Mozvader (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

God Bless you sir and thank you.

sat4314 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 PM
sat4314
Road Captain

Forgot to mention, tomorrow I finally have a day off. Going to go for a ride

The following 4 users liked this post by sat4314:
BelchFire (10-29-2018), graygoat (10-25-2018), Hardcase61 (10-24-2018), J F GO (10-25-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:55 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Forgot to mention, tomorrow I finally have a day off. Going to go for a ride
Sounds like you certainly deserve it!! Hope you had a good one. And are you pretty comfortable on the bike now? Sorry, lost track a bit but seem to remember you were going through a bike transition?

Quick Reply: Last Post From an Old Guy