Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Last Post From an Old Guy (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1213512-last-post-from-an-old-guy.html)

sat4314 01-05-2018 06:16 PM

Last Post From an Old Guy

I have been a member for several years now since 2008 and rarely post anything. Been riding since 73 or so. Started in California on a Honda, then got my first Harley in 75. Gave up the bike when my son was born in 76. It wasn't until 2008 after he was grown and graduated college, married and blessed me with my first grandchild, that I allowed myself to get another bike. I have owned several since then, 08 Dyna, 09 Street Glide, 14 Ultra Limited, 15 CVO Street Glide and now a 17 Ultra Limited. Getting up in years now, and very much enjoy riding with my wife, I read the forum every couple days or so and reflect on the changes over the years. Only one thing holds true for me over all the years. Don't judge others, be respectful to everyone, and enjoy the time you have in this life. I was recently diagnosed with cancer and I know my riding days will come to an end. Remember to enjoy life and your bike. However, remember your priorities ( family, children ) should always come first. I always end my reading on this forum because there are a lot of new riders who ask for information and guidance and it doesn't always get off in left field with the topic changed by the 4th or 5th response. I am a disabled veteran from back in the day, a Patriot Guard Rider and support all good causes that raise money for those in need. Please pause for just a moment to think about where you would like to be in your final days on this earth. Did you do the "right thing" ? I wish you all nothing but sunny warm days and long rides, This will be my last post and I have probably rambled on way too much. Be safe and I'll see you on the other side.

whocares 01-05-2018 06:21 PM

Never give up,I pray you beat the cancer.

nevada72 01-05-2018 06:22 PM

I hope you'll reconsider and check in now and again. We could use insights from an eloquent gentlemen such as yourself.

Either way, I wish you the best and I hope that things work out for you healthwise.

Take care.

mctraveler 01-05-2018 06:37 PM

1) thank you for your service....both on the forum and in the military....2) sorry to hear about your diagnosis...must not be good from the tone of your post......May you find comfort and respect from your family and peers( both here on the forum.. and elsewhere)... keep your nose pointed into the wind... and ride safe... and reconsider, please, staying with us on the forum...

Shane T 01-05-2018 06:50 PM

Thank you for your sacrifice to our country and to your family all these years. I am very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and pray for your health, strength and recovery. I appreciate you sharing the reminder to keep things in perspective.

sat4314 01-05-2018 06:51 PM

Last post

One last thing. We all had a "1st day" on our bikes. Some of us were fortunate enough to know someone that mentored and advised us on how to ride. When a new rider posts a question, help them as best you can with good advice. Social media wasn't around back then, so help them with good advice and remember they will be out on the road with you. Yes, I did all the crazy crap in the beginning. Wanting to be cool and be noticed. Nothing wrong with that but there are a great many of you that can share your experience with a new rider. The end result being you have helped someone to come home safe every day. I will continue to read this wonderful forum and appreciate the replies, but will not post. My diagnosis is terminal. It has been a wonderful adventure for me and I wish you all nothing but the ability to enjoy life. Ride safe.........

GPHDXLC 01-05-2018 06:52 PM

Thank you for serving our country. You are making people stop and think, people you don't even know. So in a way you are serving us again. I hope the rest of your life be as good as possible. God bless you.

wyndnface 01-05-2018 07:05 PM

wish you the best and happy trails

IdahoHacker 01-05-2018 07:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your situation with us, and thank you for your kind thoughts. They are indeed words to take to heart, and words to try our best to live by.

My mother in law, who is one of the kindest people I've ever known, was diagnosed with lung cancer on Christmas Eve. It looks like it might have been caught in time, but it underscores your thoughts that none of us know how much time we have left, so we should all try to do the right thing.

I'll be thinking of you.

seniorsuperglideE8 01-05-2018 07:17 PM

May God be with you and your family, my fellow brother-in-arms and on two wheels. Thank you for your insight. Please tell your family when the time comes to let us know and we'll drop the rear foot boards/pegs for your spirit to once again be in the wind. Farewell "sat 4314"......