General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything worth doing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts
Default Anything worth doing...

Anything worth doing is worth doing twice, at least for me sometimes. I'm all in for doing your own wrenching, but I have to be fair and admit when things doing always go as planned.

There's been a few projects on my bike that I had to go back and redo a second time because I wasn't happy with it, and most recently it was the fuel filter. I installed a new filter kit a couple weeks ago which is a bit of a job - siphon out the gas, remove the tank, pull out the fuel pump assembly. I didn't have a good replacement for the factory crimp-style clamp, or the right tool. I ended up using a worm-style hose clamp, which didn't fit right at all, and barely fit back into the tank.

Ever since, I've been imagining breaking down on a back road in Nowhere, USA. So last night I did it all over again. This time with stainless steel wire, and it came out great. It also only took half the time...it's always quicker the second or third time, I've learned.

There's been a couple other projects that I had to go back and redo to make 'em right. I told my wife, either I'm a pretty good mechanic (making it right) or a pretty bad mechanic (redoing it...).

Ok there's my confession. Who's with me? Ever have to do things more than once?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I like tearing it apart 4 or 5 times. I judge jobs by beers, why do a 2 beer job when you can do an 8 beer job.

The following users liked this post:
kngpn (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
webco2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought doing it twice was normal...................

Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

The beer is what makes me have to do it twice. If I would just wait to drink until the bike is fixed.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I lost my patience doing things many years ago...in fact, I'm not sure if I ever had any. But now, I let others that have the know how and tools to do things, that I know I'll just screw up.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I read the manual, buy the parts, watch a youtube video, re-read the manual and then do it twice.

The following users liked this post:
deadhawg (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts

It because of this that hardware store thrive.

Sometime I get lazy and do a half-*** job. It eats away at me to the point I have to do it all over again to make it right.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I read the manual, buy the parts, watch a youtube video, re-read the manual and then do it twice.

We must be brothers of a different Mother.

Sure sounds like me.

Have to read a couple of product reviews also.

Bruce

Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,664 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
This, but I usually post a thread about it too. That way I'm sure I have all of the necessary information to ensure that I f&*^ it up properly.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I just put Progressive 970's on my CVO. The reservoirs mount on the bag guards, and the hose feeds between the bag and side panel. I screwed with the reservoir mounts for hours trying to get the correct angle. No matter what I did, I could not get the hose to not contact the front corner of the bag.

I called Progressive this morning and was told they won't fit on a CVO. I ask him what the difference is between a CVO and a Special regarding the front of the bags and the bag guards. He could not answer my question.

Revzilla showed these shocks as working on a 2016 FLHXSE. Either something is different on the CVO (I don't think there is), or these shocks don't fit very well.

Now I have to take the shocks back off today. I have to remove the bag guards and take them to powder coat because the mounts marred the finish. I have to buy new shocks, and the bike will remain on the stand until I get them and the bag guards back.

Yeah, I hate doing things more than once. Especially when the part was supposed to fit.

Last edited by RedNose44; 01-10-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Anything worth doing...