Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   So I can flat foot a 855 lb bike, or tip toe a 564 lb bike. That’s a nearly 300 lb difference... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1214154-so-i-can-flat-foot-a-855-lb-bike-or-tip-toe-a-564-lb-bike-thatis-a-nearly-300-lb-difference.html)

89Speedy 01-11-2018 01:35 PM

So I can flat foot a 855 lb bike, or tip toe a 564 lb bike. That’s a nearly 300 lb difference...

Which bike is better suited to the rider?

BTLorys 01-11-2018 01:43 PM

Flat footed is always better. Unless you really struggle with the additional weight.

Tommy C 01-11-2018 01:45 PM

Lighter bikes are more fun to ride. Less horsepower loss from dragging excess weight around.....

Al'sFXSB 01-11-2018 01:47 PM

I'd sure rather be flat-footed at a traffic light or instances where I'd have to stop at a railroad crossing when the road dips at the tracks. Ever try backing up a bike up-hill standing on your tip-toes???? Not fun.

warprints 01-11-2018 01:54 PM

Better suited for riding or better suited to backing the bike up-hill? Are they both cruisers? How muscular are your toes? Need more info.

BTLorys 01-11-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by warprints (Post 16988415)
Better suited for riding or better suited to backing the bike up-hill? Are they both cruisers? How muscular are your toes? Need more info.

Lol! Asking the important questions!

CanadianRocky 01-11-2018 02:26 PM

If you are ever on Gravel, then feet flat on the ground is important. Last summer when I was up in the Yukon & Alaska, in the construction zones, i very much appreciated being able to put my feet flat, especially considering the weight I was packing.

I got rid of my BMW GS1150 because it was tippytoe for me.

SPRINGER 01-11-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 89Speedy (Post 16988350)
Which bike is better suited to the rider?

Just something to think about. If you've ever been to Sturgis and experienced their stop and go, stop and go, stop and go traffic like I have, you'll appreciate the flat footed position much more than you'd like the tippy toe thing, but that's just my opinion.

Half Bear 01-11-2018 02:43 PM

For me the lower the center of gravity, the more comfortable the ride, to a point. When I 1st got my new bike (1972 FL Shriners model) I reinstalled the factory "Buddy Seat" on the bike. I could still stand flat footed because I have long legs anyway but wasn't comfortable leaning through curves and corners. Bought a police style solo seat and it rides like a different MC. Back to "scraping the floor boards" on occasion without feeling like i've gone to far. Still have the pogo center post installed. Like riding on a cloud.

Jackie Paper 01-11-2018 02:44 PM

It's helpful to be more then flat foot if that is all you have. My buddy who is about 5'9" dropped a Roadking 3 times simple by barely being able to flat foot. Twice in drive way dips and in the yard around his building.
A low Fatboy made all the difference. I am 6'3" and have enough spread but still have had to catch it on slick roads and such even with my outriggers. If all you have is toes, it's just a matter of time and when 800 lbs gets over to the balance point of around 200-300 on you, even then is hard to snatch back....